EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 11:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Fandom is good but can also disappear quickly if you are not providing new products to meet its appetite.
or you can keep lying and exaggerating about features and promising things further and further and further into the future and keep taking people's pre-order money. At some point i wonder when the ftc and sec are going to step in (again).

Musk is a great showman but products are now really lagging and this Model S redesign seems very lazy.
Not sure what you mean by lagging but pretty much all reviews have said the Mach E rides and drives much nicer than the model Y. The model 3 still doesn't have competition in the U.S. though. The X is basically dead unless they do something significant (unlikely) with the refresh other than ooh plaid speed.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Give one example of a car that is.
Lucid Air, Mercedes EQS to name two, but in fairness they're not being delivered yet.

Originally Posted by Hameed
All of your comments are just that - your point of view, not facts that are indicative of how their laziness in design, lack of innovation, no futuristic design etc, NONE of which are affecting their sales and bottom line.
False conflation #72664 on CL sales != innovation. look at all the boring vehicles that sell in the millions.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Seriously?!? Every carmaker's approach to infotainment has basically been inspired by Tesla. You can see it from Fords to Mercedes and everywhere inbetween. Read reviews of the new W223 S Class without mention of the word "Tesla"
Sure there's SOME influence. The awful explorer vertical screen 'tower' was no doubt influenced by S/X. Horizontal 'tablet' screens have been around since before the 3/Y however, the 3/Y's one is just bigger. Lexus new NX 14" infotainment looks pretty well integrated though, not just floating off the dash like tesla.

Toyota sells more cars than everyone doesn’t mean that their products are some of the most ugly and boring cars/suvs available.
ha, truth.

Originally Posted by Och
I got a good laugh out of this article. Elon statue in Manhattan, we truly live in a clown world.

https://thenextweb.com/news/elon-mus...ing-inequality
Oh my goodness, so they can take away founding fathers and put up a statue of a tech billionaire.
Old 06-29-21, 11:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Oh my goodness, so they can take away founding fathers and put up a statue of a tech billionaire.
I guess that the matrix's way of trolling, lol.
Old 06-29-21, 11:30 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

False conflation #72664 on CL sales != innovation. look at all the boring vehicles that sell in the millions.
I wasn't suggesting that sales of Teslas are driven by innovation. I was merely asking him to clarify what he means by Tesla's products are lagging.

So what does "products are now really lagging" mean if it has nothing to do with sales? Your point of view again?
Old 06-29-21, 12:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

Seriously?!? Every carmaker's approach to infotainment has basically been inspired by Tesla. You can see it from Fords to Mercedes and everywhere inbetween. Read reviews of the new W223 S Class without mention of the word "Tesla"
You’re 100% right in this. There is no doubt the screens, software as well as the over the air update were influenced by Teslas vision. The auto makers used to make small updates to their screen and tech and now are forced to be more exponential with their updates.
Old 06-29-21, 03:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think someone posted related info as well but just want to stand corrected. looks like the plaid does have pretty decent braking.

Old 06-29-21, 03:29 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

^
Are these Numbers verified independently or just from Tesla?
Old 06-29-21, 03:29 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That’s not the right way of looking at things though.

Other automakers- MB, BMW, Porsche, Ford, GM etc - all have long history and generations of owners. They don’t need revolutionary futuristic designs.
The main component there is time. Tesla is a relatively young car make and there is nothing to say that with time, they won't also experience generations of ownership. Arguably, I'd say there is a good case for it, given how synonymous their brand has become with EVs, which will literally define the future of automotive.

As to if the legacy makes "need" revolutionary designs, they don't until they do. Take the recent change to the iconic Corvette, which recently underwent one of its most drastic design changes in decades. I'm not saying it was absolutely required, but there is no hard rule for when change (radical or incremental) is necessary. Meanwhile, BMW decided on some radical design changes to their lineup (and we've seen the response to those), while Lexus decided many of the cars in their lineup needed to look more aggressive with massive grilles. I'd consider all of these significant, brand defining, design changes for various reasons.

Tesla fandom is based on changing what we know about driving or what cars can do. If you want that fandom to continue, you need to deliver those radical products.
Model X was great example with falcon doors and really only Tesla could have made that. Same with CyberTruck.

This new Model S is a bean counter design and completely against what Tesla is known for.
Model 3 and Y are both snooze fest.
My bold. I think there is quite a bit more to it. Tesla has sidestepped convention in many areas, but you're mainly emphasizing the most obvious exterior designs, because perhaps those stand out most to you. There are also internals, technical bits (with a bit more transparency than we're used to seeing from car makes/CEOs), the performance, software/autonomous development, their charging network, and even phone application, which combine to offer an appealing overall experience that's constantly being updated, even within the product cycle (OTA). Despite their quirks, downsides, detractors and areas to improve, there's a reason the cars often place high on customer satisfaction/desirability lists.

It's also about timing. Tesla captured mindshare and the industry at a time when it was ripe for (EV) disruption, which will be difficult to replicate, especially from legacy brands.
Old 06-29-21, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

That’s not the right way of looking at things though.

Other automakers- MB, BMW, Porsche, Ford, GM etc - all have long history and generations of owners. They don’t need revolutionary futuristic designs.

Tesla fandom is based on changing what we know about driving or what cars can do. If you want that fandom to continue, you need to deliver those radical products.
Model X was great example with falcon doors and really only Tesla could have made that. Same with CyberTruck.

This new Model S is a bean counter design and completely against what Tesla is known for.
Model 3 and Y are both snooze fest.
Just like everyone else, what they have to do is deliver better cars. And Model S is now better then ever.
They are still ways ahead of everyone, and they keep improving all the time too.

p.s. How the heck fastest 0-100-0 vehicle is not "radical"? If you are looking at Tesla, what the heck else would you look to buy?
Old 06-29-21, 03:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
Tesla captured mindshare and the industry at a time when it was ripe for (EV) disruption, which will be difficult to replicate, especially from legacy brands.
much more a u.s. thing than anywhere else, although tesla has obviously sold a bunch of cars in china, europe, etc.

china has a TON of EV brands and new models seem to be constantly showing up.

This new sedan will have an option for over 600mi. of range and it even has some kind of wireless charging (the CAR! Not phones). And the interior looks NOTHING like a tesla except it's shown in white as seems the trends for EV marketing - the screens look more mercedes EQS and Lucid.

https://insideevs.com/news/503619/zh...edan-wireless/
Old 06-29-21, 04:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

That's some amazing tech, getting way more than linear range scaling vs. battery pack size increase.
Old 06-29-21, 05:54 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

much more a u.s. thing than anywhere else, although tesla has obviously sold a bunch of cars in china, europe, etc..
And the expansion into other markets is continuing, but it's not just how many cars they've sold, which is limited by their ability to produce them. I'm talking about the sum of its parts which together form the strength of the brand, which is one of the most recognizable in the world, with strong appeal among young audiences and generally high customer satisfaction. My post is outlining "the fandom" surrounding the brand, and the points I previously listed are what contribute to it. The enthusiasm surrounding the new Model S seems to directly contradict the idea that while disappointing to any given number of people, that its conservative exterior changes somehow reduced "the fandom", in any meaningful way. Hell, the car was literally on the front page of this forum, with no relation to Toyota/Lexus.

This new sedan will have an option for over 600mi. of range and it even has some kind of wireless charging (the CAR! Not phones). And the interior looks NOTHING like a tesla except it's shown in white as seems the trends for EV marketing - the screens look more mercedes EQS and Lucid.
That's playing checkers, there will be EVs which outdo any given model in any given area (aka "Tesla killers"), but it doesn't by itself make a given brand more desirable or the bar for measure (similar to how a BMW M3 will almost always define its segment, whether or not it leads in any particular area of performance). Brand cachet is one of those intangibles that's tricky to acquire, but once you have it, tends to stick in the minds of consumers. Tesla managed to ignite a shift in the industry at an opportune time, earning its reputation as the premiere EV brand and it's riding that momentum with various innovations that continue to appeal. It's possible for other companies to rise and take that place, but as I said, it will be difficult (and/or also rely on Tesla making a series of critical stumbles).

If another EV company manages to rise and take that spot, it's only better for consumers, so any good additions to the EV sphere are certainly welcome.
Old 06-29-21, 06:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,978 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Wireless charging is sloooooooow and hugely inefficient. Frankly it's stupid I'm surprised anyone would think it's some sort of advantage. If that car does end up with 620 miles of range then VW, Ford, Lucid etc. have no hope of competing.
Old 06-29-21, 07:02 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

The Taycan was supposed to have a 600 mile range...
Old 06-30-21, 03:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

NYC just issued warning to limit energy use to avoid blackout. No microwaves, dishwasher, washer/dryer etc.

I can’t wait what will happen when 1 million EVs need to be charged 🤣

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/bill-d...mid-heat-wave/

Mayor Bill de Blasio urged New Yorkers to limit their use of electricity Wednesday as the ongoing heat wave led to blackouts across the city.“We need everyone to turn things down, turn things off immediately,” de Blasio said.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 06-30-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 05:37 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

NYC just issued warning to limit energy use to avoid blackout. No microwaves, dishwasher, washer/dryer etc.

I can’t wait what will happen when 1 million EVs need to be charged 🤣

https://nypost.com/2021/06/30/bill-d...mid-heat-wave/
You charge during off peak hours.
But I agree, we have a lot of infrastructure and energy work to do. It's called opportunity.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid