EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 08:01 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

To give a sense of just how fast this car is…

Old 07-01-21, 08:16 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 219 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
To give a sense of just how fast this car is…

https://youtube.com/-sv1YrVB_5M
That is absolutely insane. Beyond insane.

And really? A 1990s 155hp 240SX tried to race? Thanks for the laugh.
Old 07-01-21, 08:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That is absolutely insane. Beyond insane.

And really? A 1990s 155hp 240SX tried to race? Thanks for the laugh.
The car was built and tuned. It was in the descriptions with a link. Doesn't matter...anything short of 700hp+ will get left in the dust. Even the hellcats with 900hp are getting left even during rolls. The only bad part are the idiots are doing this on streets...they should take this to a track.

https://insideevs.com/news/516803/te...laid-hellcats/
Old 07-01-21, 08:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Racing an EV is not that exciting at all.
No shifts, no engine noise, no exhaust sound, no drama.

Its like a video game. You feel nothing except for the push in your seat at launch. This whole 0-60 game is idiotic imo, i wish automakers focus more on the feel/drama of driving. The Tesla is perfect for the tech nerds and those who want to go fast in a vacuum.

Personally i much rather drive BRZ/GR86 which is slow but way more fun than any performance EV.
Old 07-01-21, 09:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Its like a video game. You feel nothing except for the push in your seat at launch. This whole 0-60 game is idiotic imo, i wish automakers focus more on the feel/drama of driving. The Tesla is perfect for the tech nerds and those who want to go fast in a vacuum.

Personally i much rather drive BRZ/GR86 which is slow but way more fun than any performance EV.
Teslas make great daily drivers. I thought the Model 3 Performance was more engaging and way more fun than the M340 and the IS350 F-Sport I had. Its not a BRZ but its really trying to be. I bet the Plaid is still fun to drive overall and its pretty fun to squash the pesky M5s and AMGs too
Old 07-01-21, 09:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Teslas make great daily drivers. I thought the Model 3 Performance was more engaging and way more fun than the M340 and the IS350 F-Sport I had. Its not a BRZ but its really trying to be. I bet the Plaid is still fun to drive overall and its pretty fun to squash the pesky M5s and AMGs too
The dynamics of the Model 3 are great imo and i was very impressed by it. I drove Dual Motor variant and im sure the Performance is even better. For a daily, its engaging enough to be fun.
Old 07-01-21, 10:48 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

For the Porsche guys who are feeling short changed... We were messing with this drop dead gorgeous Taycan Turbo in our Model 3. On a busy El Camino Real in Santa Clara, CA.
Man that Porsche was quick!

Old 07-01-21, 10:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3

Its like a video game. You feel nothing except for the push in your seat at launch.
I think tesla should call the drivetrain 'warp drive'. Super fast, pretty instant, no drama.
But maybe they'd have to license that from paramount.

The Tesla is perfect for the tech nerds and those who want to go fast in a vacuum.
lol, true. I like car quiet though and my next car will likely be an EV, although don't see me getting rid of the LC for the grin and pure joy.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I bet the Plaid is still fun to drive overall and its pretty fun to squash the pesky M5s and AMGs too
For me that novelty wouldn't last long.
Old 07-01-21, 10:52 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

The right-now torque and flat handling of the Model 3 never gets boring. Neither does spanking so-called performance cars.
Each to their own, but Teslas are amazing.
Old 07-01-21, 11:27 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think tesla should call the drivetrain 'warp drive'. Super fast, pretty instant, no drama.
But maybe they'd have to license that from paramount.

lol, true. I like car quiet though and my next car will likely be an EV, although don't see me getting rid of the LC for the grin and pure joy.

For me that novelty wouldn't last long.
I would never recommend a Tesla for you and hope you never consider one. You would be much happier in anything but.

The people that like the Model S without such insane speeds at a much more reasonable $80k would probably find the standard LR version more interesting. Its really only missing the extra motor and still does 0-60 in 3.1 (no rollout so achievable on street). Some have already had theirs delivered and it seems like its almost as fast as the last Performance Model S below 60mph (not quite) but seems to pull much harder after 90mph as it has the new inverters and motor. Coupled with 400 miles (EPA) or probably 300 miles real world, it would be a nice premium experience.
Old 07-01-21, 11:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I would never recommend a Tesla for you and hope you never consider one. You would be much happier in anything but.

The people that like the Model S without such insane speeds at a much more reasonable $80k would probably find the standard LR version more interesting. Its really only missing the extra motor and still does 0-60 in 3.1 (no rollout so achievable on street). Some have already had theirs delivered and it seems like its almost as fast as the last Performance Model S below 60mph (not quite) but seems to pull much harder after 90mph as it has the new inverters and motor. Coupled with 400 miles (EPA) or probably 300 miles real world, it would be a nice premium experience.
I think Bit would likely want a much better interior.
Old 07-01-21, 11:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think Bit would likely want a much better interior.
Agreed...and he doesn't seem that into speed as the LC is isn't fast. I think the Model S LR at $80k has an appropriate interior for its price as its not aiming for luxury but premium sport.
Old 07-01-21, 12:20 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Here's a review of the LR Model S, not the Plaid that is the focus of this thread, from a long time owner of the previous generation Model S. It seems fair enough, but obviously it's slightly biased.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-s-lr-2021-review-from-a-long-time-model-s-owner.232694/

I initially posted this in one of the massively long ordering threads for the new LR, but figured I'd repost it here separately for those interested (with minor edits)...

@jlear was nice enough to let me look at his new Midnight Silver LR with 21" rims tonight. As an existing Model S 90D owner, below are the main questions I wanted answered for myself. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about LR vs Plaid, or whether to order the refresh at all.

Is there a continuous linear pull beyond 60MPH? Without a Dragy on hand for actual numbers (sorry boys & girls), I can happily say that the refreshed LR feels like it keeps pulling equally strong from the 0-60 band than it does the 60-100 band. On previous model S cars, you feel a substantial drop-off on the upper powerbands. Not with this puppy! Much like the Plaid reviews, This. Thing. Keeps. Pulling.

If I stomp on the accelerator at 60MPH, does it provide a strong enough pull from there? For me, yes, yes, yes. @jlear was devilish enough to stomp on it without forewarning me as we drove around, and for the first time in a long while, I felt like your typical newbie who's never rode in a performance Tesla before. I found myself chuckling out loud like a 10 year old school boy... it was that good of a surprise every time he punched it. Without raw benchmarks in hand, this LR feels like a P90D / P100D while in Insane Mode, without any of the drawbacks like SoC battery dependencies. And that is without even trying Launch Mode yet. So yeah, bet your bottom dollar you can still do the acceleration party trick in this bad boy with your friends and family. Tesla may call this the LR, but I consider it a "Performance Model S LR".

With a lower State of Charge, does performance fall off like on previous models? I didn't check that, but something tells me that similar to the Plaid mode, the answer is no. Someone else will need to confirm that.

Does the car handle and ride significantly better? Much like the 2019/2020 Ravens, the adaptive suspension is much more forgiving on the bumps, but the 2021 refresh feels even better on the turns and at high-speed straightaways than what I remember on the Ravens. Someone else here said they were able to get a 2021 up on a lift and said the suspension is all new, and I believe it. I was going to put on aftermarket 20" rims just like I did on my current Model S, both to smooth out the ride and quiet the ride a tad while still looking aggressive, but I might just go with 21" aftermarket rims after this little trip. Btw, road noise is much improved with the double-paned glass, but I wouldn't say it is as quiet as a Lexus. But it is certainly better, just like previous Model S builds have gotten noticeably quieter with each passing year. I'm sure someone will do some sound level tests to measure actual differences in decibels. As for motor whine, the only time I could really hear it was when he pounded on the accelerator. Otherwise, I didn't notice it.

Does the interior feel substantially better than previous generation Model S's? Much like what was posted here, hell yes. Little things like more premium feeling materials, including the vegan leather, carpet, and alcantara all feel more plush. Even the hard surfaces have a more luxurious feel to them. Little details we all expect on a car (let alone a luxury performance car) like the door pockets, dry-cleaning hooks in the rear, and vanity lights in the visors are there. All the major gripes I've had with previous Model S generations, they've finally addressed with this generation. The now-returned ventilated front seats feel great for the warm weather here in North Carolina, and the AC really feels much more adequate too. The comfort of the front seats feels similar to the last generation, so not cushy soft as Model Y seats if you're looking for that. But the rear seats are much much more comfortable from before, not to mention a proper flip-down center console in between. When dropping the rear seats, no more cavity bump across the middle! Although the overall cargo area is still slightly pitched from front to back with the seats down, I would say it looks level enough for me to slap down my air mattress without any extra padding under the rear area, and get some solid sleep on. I don't foresee a need for a crazy expensive custom fit Tesla mattress that sucks up all the cargo space when not in use (cough cough, for those who know what I'm referring to). But to each their own.

How is the tech (displays, software, graphical interface) over previous generations? As a techie who is also big on AV, this is always a priority for me in any car. Similar to what others here have said, the displays in this model are very crisp and the brightness is much improved over previous generations. Certainly worthy of playing 4K video or current gen games in the daylight, IMHO. I'd even be curious how many Nits the front screen puts out, as it is that bright. The touchscreen has responsiveness similar to a current smartphone (perhaps just a little slower, but hey, it is a massive screen), including multitouch use. The sound system is so much more powerful than anything before in terms of loudness (for the first time in my life, I actually had to cover my ears when he cranked it... and I like it LOUD). But I won't comment on the quality of the sound until I can play my own tracks on it and tweak the equalizer to my liking. I could imagine doing a swap out of the subwoofer while still using the stock enclosure, similar to what I've done on my existing Model S. But that is still to be determined.

All that said, as most know, the software is raw. Feels more like an alpha build to me than a beta release, given stability seems lacking (e.g MCU reboots, phone as key not working, etc.). Let alone the features stated in the owner's manual that are currently absent. But for those who've never owned a Tesla before, my only advice is to not obsess over that now. The car is bleeding edge when it comes to tech. Just enjoy the car. When the software updates roll out from Tesla, these things will be incrementally addressed, and even new unannounced features will probably come about like usual.

Does the exterior look substantially better than previous generation Model S's? I was able to look at two refresh Model S cars today, one in black and the other Midnight Silver. Photos don't do it justice. You need to see it in person to really appreciate the changes. Little things like the fog lights and the more aggressive body styling around the wheels make a world of difference. The massively wide 295 tires in the rear (and usually only seen OEM on ultra-performance cars) make the car look sick too. Yes, the LR means business just like the Plaid. Lastly, as someone who has chrome-deleted my last two cars, I certainly think the black trim on this refresh is the biggest improvement over the previous generations. We're not driving your grandfather's 1955 Caddy anymore, folks! That said, as to whether I will chrome-delete the Tesla emblems on my forthcoming white LR or leave them as is, I'm actually still on the fence.

Will I miss anything in particular with the previous generations of Model S's? Absolutely. The ability to open that massive sunroof on those pleasant weather days. Unlimited free charging on long road trips, just so I don't have to think about it. And I'm still on the fence about no more steering wheel and stalks. I love the look of the yoke and it feels great in the hand, but like others here, I will probably dread what that means in daily use until I've driven it a week or two. I've seen the complaints about taking turns, but even more complaints about trying to use the buttons in absence of stalks. Or even accidentally pressing the buttons. So that yoke is still a big question mark for me. At least I can "hit the horn" without looking for the little button (tip: place your hand over the right set of buttons). Just hope I can do that successfully while the yoke is turning!

Hope this helps folks. On a related note, my Dragy arrives tomorrow. So if anyone in the Raleigh area wants to benchmark their Plaid or LR with a few runs, let me know!
Old 07-01-21, 12:41 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

@Hameed that's a really interesting post - thanks for sharing
Old 07-01-21, 03:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://insideevs.com/news/517524/te...-s-plaid-fire/

Tesla Model S Plaid Fire Leaves Many Unanswered Questions

Last evening, firefighters responded to a Model S Plaid engulfed in flames, but details are scarce.

According to recent news reports, a Tesla Model S Plaid caught fire near Philadelphia. For those unaware, the Plaid is Tesla's newest and quickest car, and deliveries of the vehicle just started. Fortunately, no one was inside the vehicle, and no injuries have been reported.

Currently, there a few details about the fire. According to the Gladwyne Volunteer Fire Department, they responded to a call about a fire just prior to 9:00 PM Eastern Time last night, June 30, 2021. As you can see from the Facebook post, the car was completely in flames before the firefighters arrived on the scene.Some of the firefighters were specially trained to deal with electric car fires. They provided a separate water line to supply continuous water to the Tesla's battery pack to make sure the fire was fully extinguished.

Reportedly, the fire company was at the scene for over three hours. Once the fire was properly extinguished, there wasn't much left of the Model S, though you can still make out its Tesla, "Plaid" badging, and Arachnid wheels.

You can also see in the images provided by the Gladwyne Volunteer Fire Company that there were some battery cells on the street that somehow came out of the car's
lithium-ion battery pack.

An investigation into the details surrounding the fire is underway. At this point, there are no details about what may have started the blaze. We've seen electric cars catch fire after crashes and while charging. However, it's not common for these cars to just spontaneously combust.

Some reports are pointing to several Reddit posts about the incident, some of which have been reportedly taken down. One posted was allegedly from an EMT on the scene who claimed he saw the Model S "rolling" down the street while it was in flames.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-02-21 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid