EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-21, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I saw that posted on another forum
Old 07-02-21, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

LexsCTJill - please add context/content/explanation when posting a link to a news story. I've pasted some in for you. Thanks.
Old 07-02-21, 07:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I would never recommend a Tesla for you and hope you never consider one.
not sure why you hope i'd never consider one!

Not that it matters, but as of right now i have little interest in owning a tesla.

You would be much happier in anything but.
That's incorrect.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Agreed...and he doesn't seem that into speed as the LC is isn't fast.
Lol - you're right, my LC is so slow. I drive it like grandma (not)

I think the Model S LR at $80k has an appropriate interior for its price as its not aiming for luxury but premium sport.
We're never going to agree on that except i do agree it's a 'premium sport' and not a luxury car.
Old 07-02-21, 08:53 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Tesla Plaid model is so fast it catches fire.
Old 07-02-21, 09:05 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That is absolutely insane. Beyond insane.

And really? A 1990s 155hp 240SX tried to race? Thanks for the laugh.
His car makes over 500whp on pump and 600whp on ethanol.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Racing an EV is not that exciting at all.
No shifts, no engine noise, no exhaust sound, no drama.

Its like a video game. You feel nothing except for the push in your seat at launch. This whole 0-60 game is idiotic imo, i wish automakers focus more on the feel/drama of driving. The Tesla is perfect for the tech nerds and those who want to go fast in a vacuum.
To each their own, but it's all relative. For me, racing an EV is fun, but with its own quirks. 0-60 is just one area the internet seems to focus on, because it's most obvious and easy to showcase in a comparison, but there are other strong points, especially when you run wider tires focused on performance, instead of balancing range/street manners. More importantly, the throttle response (and grip) puts a lot into perspective. Internal combustion engines feel comparatively laggy and tend to "work hard" to get into their narrow power peak, before climbing back through the rev range again and again with each shift. All the sound is cool in some cases, but rarely matches the acceleration, which can feel disconnected. In both examples, though, the behavior has its own charms, so I get it. IME, there are pros and cons, and plenty of ways to find fun with either format.
Old 07-02-21, 09:12 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

How you or I classify Teslas, or any other car doesn't matter. The market classifies Tesla as a luxury car.
Old 07-02-21, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Tesla Plaid model is so fast it catches fire.
Was delivered 3 days before.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
LexsCTJill - please add context/content/explanation when posting a link to a news story. I've pasted some in for you. Thanks.
no problem. Apparently the driver was trapped inside as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...la-plaid-fire/

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How you or I classify Teslas, or any other car doesn't matter. The market classifies Tesla as a luxury car.
I would say an S is definitely a luxury car. Not sure about the 3 or the Y.
Old 07-02-21, 09:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
To each their own, but it's all relative. For me, racing an EV is fun, but with its own quirks. 0-60 is just one area the internet seems to focus on, because it's most obvious and easy to showcase in a comparison, but there are other strong points, especially when you run wider tires focused on performance, instead of balancing range/street manners. More importantly, the throttle response (and grip) puts a lot into perspective. Internal combustion engines feel comparatively laggy and tend to "work hard" to get into their narrow power peak, before climbing back through the rev range again and again with each shift. All the sound is cool in some cases, but rarely matches the acceleration, which can feel disconnected. In both examples, though, the behavior has its own charms, so I get it. IME, there are pros and cons, and plenty of ways to find fun with either format.
Excellent write up and explanation! I am willing to bet a lot of money that all of the folks on here that say it sucks to drive an EV, have not driven one and have zero interest in driving one.

There is no way that any person with even the slightest interest in driving will say driving an EV is like driving in a video game or that it sucks because there is no shifting, noise or drama. My previous car was all sound, drama, exhaust noise and all that, but I would never go back to that again - yes an EV can be that much of a paradigm shift in thinking, fun and feel.
Old 07-02-21, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
I am willing to bet a lot of money that all of the folks on here that say it sucks to drive an EV, have not driven one and have zero interest in driving one.
i've not seen anyone write on CL that it sucks to drive an EV. And i have not driven one yet, but have plenty of interest.
Old 07-02-21, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

And the firebomb plaid driver's lawyer is already out there...

Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Excellent write up and explanation! I am willing to bet a lot of money that all of the folks on here that say it sucks to drive an EV, have not driven one and have zero interest in driving one.
l.
I tried out a Tesla 3. Pretty amazing drive experience. Interesting design and amazing experience. However, I have no desire in charging at home or anything like that. Nor do I want to wait at a charge station. I also wonder about owning them long term as what happens outside of warranty. On the fence about over the air updates as well.
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I don't worry about that happening to my 'slow lexus'
Old 07-02-21, 09:35 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've not seen anyone write on CL that it sucks to drive an EV. And i have not driven one yet, but have plenty of interest.
Not referring to you - you definitely have an open mind no question about that.

A couple of posts above sound exactly the way I described. I won't quote one of the specific posts above as it will become "personal' and serves no purpose in any thread where we are trying to make posts that are useful to people looking for information.
Old 07-02-21, 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not referring to you - you definitely have an open mind no question about that.

A couple of posts above sound exactly the way I described. I won't quote one of the specific posts above as it will become "personal' and serves no purpose in any thread where we are trying to make posts that are useful to people looking for information.
Quote my post and give your opinion. I like some things about an EV but I do not like some stuff. I don’t see what is so wrong with that. I also watch the EV crowd and kinda of notice that EV are sort a lease thing as they seem to update the tech so often…not sure how dedicated buyers who want long term ownership will accept that.
Old 07-02-21, 09:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Quote my post and give your opinion. I like some things about an EV but I do not like some stuff. I don’t see what is so wrong with that. I also watch the EV crowd and kinda of notice that EV are sort a lease thing as they seem to update the tech so often…not sure how dedicated buyers who want long term ownership will accept that.
Not referring to you either. I was specifically referring to the driving experience of an EV.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid