EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-21, 06:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh he loved it. He said at the end it's the best all around car ever made.

which is interesting when he also said the styling is old and generic and the quality sucks.

he was just bowled over though by the speed and control features.
I'm not surprised at the quality issues. Never get the first year of a new model Tesla. It takes them a full year to get the quality to a decent state. It will never be great.
Old 08-18-21, 06:56 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 558 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm not surprised at the quality issues. Never get the first year of a new model Tesla. It takes them a full year to get the quality to a decent state. It will never be great.
Sandy Munro had an interesting opinion... He said anyone can improve panel gaps, paint, etc. But no one comes close to the Tesla EV engineering and overall tech.
Old 08-18-21, 07:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Sandy Munro had an interesting opinion... He said anyone can improve panel gaps, paint, etc.
True, but i'll consider a tesla when the quality is better.

But no one comes close to the Tesla EV engineering and overall tech.
definitely super impressive, and maybe no one comes close today, but that's not guaranteed forever. with such a huge amount of development going on, at least one company will emerge as a real competitor to tesla. Could be vw/audi/porsche, could be chinese, could be someone else unexpected (hyundai/kia).

And there's tech tesla just refuses to do like HUD, apple carplay / android auto which are widely appreciated by billions of drivers.
Old 08-18-21, 07:16 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

definitely super impressive, and maybe no one comes close today, but that's not guaranteed forever. with such a huge amount of development going on, at least one company will emerge as a real competitor to tesla. Could be vw/audi/porsche, could be chinese, could be someone else unexpected (hyundai/kia).

And there's tech tesla just refuses to do like HUD, apple carplay / android auto which are widely appreciated by billions of drivers.
Those things are just features that they choose not to implement. Its commodity and anyone has access to it. Tesla does technology that is unique to themselves like their BMS and carbon sleeve rotors and structural battery implementations. Tesla is definitely not right for everyone but to those that want the speed or technology aspects, it get super high praise from them. Also, features that Elon doesn't like (HUD for example) will unfortunately never be implemented. The yoke steering wheel is an example of something that Elon wanted, the public doesn't really like, the company probably is embarrassed about, but happens because Elon is CEO.

I'm sure the other OEMs will get good enough in power and range to compete and they will probably have the more standard features that a lot of people want. There are plenty of customers to go around If the new tax rebate comes in, do i get a Mach E or Model Y or something else... I tried to convince wifey to let me get a Plaid and I would give her my car but she is terrified I'll kill myself
Old 08-18-21, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Exactly! It's easy, right?

As an aside, I'm also going down this path. Given that it's probably just reading a few books and buying a few tools, I've decided that I'm going to becoming a world-renowed brain surgeon. My first few thousand patients might not be too happy with the results, but luckily most of them won't be around to tell anyone (or they won't be able to remember anything if they are). Maybe one day you can give me a ride in your 2 second Corolla, and I'll reverse your lobotomy!
This has to be one of the BEST and funniest posts I have read in a long while

Not sure if anyone posted doug's in depth review.

I'm getting tired of his over the top style... but the video is informative.
Originally Posted by Hameed
I think he's on drugs now.
His reviews and character has been annoying since the beginning. He does have decent coverage but his voice and gestures...

that's like back then when some people say they will never try lexus until they have good overall performance. i see the merit and that's ok, but definitely missing some good stuff
Old 08-18-21, 09:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
that's like back then when some people say they will never try lexus until they have good overall performance. i see the merit and that's ok, but definitely missing some good stuff
No doubt tesla has loads of good stuff.
just last night i was picking up some pizza to go and a model Y was parked right outside, and i waited outside for my order to be ready so i could breathe without an annoying mask.
The Y driver got in, backed up and drove away. The interesting synthetic sound it made as he reversed, and then of course the basically silent drive off, definitely gets any enthusiast's attention including this one.

Tesla to me is basically a mixed bag. Incredible in many ways, crappy in others. Obviously for many they can look past the crappy and enjoy the incredible.
Old 08-18-21, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

He loves the interior (i don't lol) but says the interior and exterior quality and paint is crap.

And of course he loves the speed.

https://youtu.be/qen0ZlZM0ZA
Fun car and report, but I guarantee Doug's facial speed reaction is fake.

Old 08-19-21, 09:12 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Is this really a first year Model tesla though? Its the same body as the Model S basically and the paint etc issues don't have anything to do with model year. That should have been corrected years ago. There's no excuse for a 100K car to be built this crappy.
Old 08-19-21, 09:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kense
Is this really a first year Model tesla though? Its the same body as the Model S basically and the paint etc issues don't have anything to do with model year. That should have been corrected years ago. There's no excuse for a 100K car to be built this crappy.
It is wider and has new fenders along with a completely new interior. I'm sure the lines are different and so the actual process has changed. Many others have no issues with their cars (watch Brook's video) and come with good quality cars...others have the mess on this video. Tesla's consistency isn't great. Mine has some panel gaps and a rattle here and there but overall, its held together well and many other owners express the same thing. But unlike a Lexus forum where a quality rant is super rare, you'll get quality rants on the Tesla forum from some unhappy customer that got a Friday car.

The owner also should have gotten the paint fixed on the car...i haven't seen that particular problem before. Thats just a mistake from the factory and Tesla will correct stuff like that for free.
Old 08-19-21, 10:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

He loves the interior (i don't lol) but says the interior and exterior quality and paint is crap.

Finally watched Doug's video. Overall the review was predictable and a bit informative (if you are very familiar with a Model S). He made a couple of mistakes (he didn't know the car has a "bio-weapon defense mode" for the HVAC - essentially a very powerful HEPA filtration system - he just called it a powerful fan mode or something).

I want this car even more now! 😄

Have to wait a couple of years though to get "the best car ever made".
Old 08-19-21, 11:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
He made a couple of mistakes (he didn't know the car has a "bio-weapon defense mode" for the HVAC - essentially a very powerful HEPA filtration system - he just called it a powerful fan mode or something).
it's for when there's real farts in the cabin and not just the fart cushion mode.

I want this car even more now! 😄
Have to wait a couple of years though to get "the best car ever made".
amazing car but i have zero interest in owning one.
Old 08-19-21, 12:09 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

amazing car but i have zero interest in owning one.
You could have fooled me!

It now has a user configurable sound (simulate an ICE car) - something you've been asking for , for a very long time. 😄
Old 08-19-21, 04:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I like the speedometer screen. The center console screen as well. The wires less charging and the PRNDL buttons. The steering wheel is cool. I don’t care for the rest of the interior. I always dislike the fixed seat belts with no adjusters. I thought the review by Demiro hits the mark exactly.
Old 08-20-21, 02:56 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

It's embarrassing the build quality is so bad even for 130k car and how hard is to paint cars with robots always consistent result and Tesla manages to screw that up. Elon simply doesn't care about build quality since they're selling cars like hot cakes but still baffles me?
Old 09-04-21, 08:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I thought this was a fun video. The motorcycle takes some serious skill to ride fast

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid