EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-21, 09:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I thought this was a fun video. The motorcycle takes some serious skill to ride fast

https://youtu.be/nd-2AS2WjCY
I watched this last night yeah it was fun. Can you imagine that bike in the hands of an inexperienced rider?
Old 09-04-21, 11:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I watched this last night yeah it was fun. Can you imagine that bike in the hands of an inexperienced rider?
They would just fly off. Dead. What was amazing was the Plaid was faster than the super bikes from a roll. Truly frightening power.
Old 09-04-21, 01:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I thought this was a fun video. The motorcycle takes some serious skill to ride fast

Made my day!!👍👍
Old 09-04-21, 03:37 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

Want to see something crazy, watch the Carwow video of a drag race between a 911 Turbo, F1 car and a BMW motorcycle. They do a mile roll race and the bike must be going close to 200mph because the 911 was going 180mph and got smoked. You have to have a screw loose to go that fast on a bike.
Old 09-04-21, 05:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Want to see something crazy, watch the Carwow video of a drag race between a 911 Turbo, F1 car and a BMW motorcycle. They do a mile roll race and the bike must be going close to 200mph because the 911 was going 180mph and got smoked. You have to have a screw loose to go that fast on a bike.
I just watched the video and all I can say is yikes! I agree that bike was pushing 200mph. And the sound!
Old 09-06-21, 04:34 PM
MobiusTorr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm not surprised at the quality issues. Never get the first year of a new model Tesla. It takes them a full year to get the quality to a decent state. It will never be great.
I'm pretty sure that applies to anything. Flux Defense MP17, MP17 Raider a year later. Folding smart phones. It usually takes customers interacting with a product for a period of time to discover something the design engineers never thought of, or something the company didn't think was important to the customer.
Old 09-09-21, 04:34 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I'm actually surprised that such a fat heavy car got that time. Those tires and brakes must have been shredded after that lap .

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-s-p...ord-1847647872

Tesla Model S Plaid Finally Set The Nurburgring Record For Production EVs

The Tesla ran a 12 second quicker than lap than Porsche's Taycan Turbo record set in 2019

Earlier today
showing Tesla running a brand new Model S Plaid at the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and the presumption was that the California EV brand was aiming for a new record. The electric car production record at the ‘Ring was most recently claimed by Porsche with the Taycan Turbo in 2019 just before the car was officially launched, with the German entry running a 7:42.3. Today, as confirmed by company CEO and PR man Elon Musk on Twitter, the Plaid has run a 7:30.9. Not bad.

As impressive as this time is, there are a few caveats that need to be considered before heaping praise on the Plaid. First, while this is a new record for a production electric car, there are a handful of gasoline-powered sedans with less power which have already run quicker laps, like the Jaguar XE SV Project 8 (7:23.1) or the Porsche Panamera Turbo (7:29.81). It also does well to note that Porsche set its electric record with the Taycan Turbo, not the full-fat Turbo S, which could potentially still beat the Plaid’s lap. The most interesting thing about all this, in my eyes, however, is that Tesla allegedly set a hand-timed 7:24 lap with the Plaid prototype back in 2019, too!

Who’s sandbagging who, here?

None of this is meant to be a downer on Tesla, and realistically Nürburgring lap times are totally pointless anyway and add no meaning or value to a car, because the lap time is something the company has been working on for a few years, and finally managed to make happen. Set your goals and manifest them into the world, yo.
For good measure, let’s look at a short list of impressively fast cars that the Model S Plaid ran a quicker lap time than: 2007 Porsche 911 GT2, 2005 Koenigsegg CCR, 2021 Audi RS3, 2019 Renault Megane R.S. Trophy-R, Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. Any of those could be considered an impressive car, and the Plaid beat them all. There’s no word yet on who might have been driving the Plaid, but surely they’re an impressive talent at the wheel to pull off that kind of time. Of course the car still has a ways to go to catch up to the speed of a 2009 Nissan GT-R (7:29.0).
Old 09-09-21, 04:46 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm actually surprised that such a fat heavy car got that time. Those tires and brakes must have been shredded after that lap .

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-s-p...ord-1847647872

The Tesla ran a 12 second quicker than lap than Porsche's Taycan TurboToday, as confirmed by company CEO and PR man Elon Musk on Twitter, the Plaid has run a 7:30.9. Not bad.

Of course the car still has a ways to go to catch up to the speed of a 2009 Nissan GT-R (7:29.0).
I don't get it. Why is a 1 second difference a "still a ways to catch up to the speed of a 2009 Nissan GTR"?
Old 09-09-21, 05:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
I don't get it. Why is a 1 second difference a "still a ways to catch up to the speed of a 2009 Nissan GTR"?
Haters gonna hate. The article was funny...the Model S was always lambasted for not being able to complete a Ring time due to the overheating issues and now that it has the EV record, Jalopnik says that Ring times are no big deal ....lol. Lets see the haters move the goalposts again.
Old 09-09-21, 05:28 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by EZZ
Haters gonna hate. The article was funny...the Model S was always lambasted for not being able to complete a Ring time due to the overheating issues and now that it has the EV record, Jalopnik says that Ring times are no big deal ....lol. Lets see the haters move the goalposts again.
Gotcha, makes total sense lol!
Old 09-09-21, 08:47 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

wow that's an impressive time especially for such a heavy electric sedan!

not to like, brag or anything... but i'd say nobody here knows the nurburgring better than i do, and even with the extra power the tesla has over the taycan there's still lots of very fast tricky (and slow tricky) turns like schwedenkreuz and pflanzgarten that really have nothing to do with power... and you need to be able to maintain high speeds throughout them since there's often a long, uphill straight that follows and any time lost exiting the corner is multiplied by the end of the straight

there's a big uphill 'straightaway' after the bergwerk corner where i imagine the plaid just walks away from the taycan and probably most really fast gas cars too... the approach to fuchsröhre must be terrifying in the plaid lol
Old 09-09-21, 09:13 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

This was a stock Plaid with the PS4 tires and the speed limiter of 163mph. The track pack version coming later will have a 200mph limiter with cup2 tires. I hope it also comes with better brakes.
Old 09-09-21, 09:59 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
This was a stock Plaid with the PS4 tires and the speed limiter of 163mph. The track pack version coming later will have a 200mph limiter with cup2 tires. I hope it also comes with better brakes.
cup tires will make a big difference, the speed limiter probably won't make much difference if at all... there's really only like 1 (maybe 2) spots where it could exceed 160 mph
Old 09-10-21, 12:26 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

onboard lap is posted!

crazy how this thing pulls out of the corners... at 3:35 normally you stay flat through that sweeping left but the plaid was already going so fast he had to lift!

also the 163mph limiter didn't seem to make much difference, only at 1:15 on the run up to schwedenkreuz could he have possibly squeezed a few more mph out of it but not very much... updated tires and brakes will be awesome
Old 09-10-21, 12:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Some of the publications are trolling saying it was done with a round steering wheel. Kinda looks like a Yoke to me

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid