EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-21, 07:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The part that I don't get is that how a car enthusiast or even someone remotely interested in cars can be so negative/closed minded about a car that just happens to be an EV instead of an ICE.

There's so much of that even on here.
Originally Posted by LeX2K
Haters gonna hate. IMO that's what separates auto enthusiasts from cheer leaders, watch some 1/4 mile Plaid races on YT naturally Tesla wins almost all of them but the owners of the other cars are very gracious and show respect for the performance.
who the heck are you guys referring to? I see no hate in this thread.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the plaid IS incredible! no question about it. the acceleration is blistering, world class and best in class!

Old 09-12-21, 07:07 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
Exactly. That's my point. It's a 13 mile track and being 1 second of a purpose built track car like the GTR with a family sedan is very impressive.
That GT-R time was for the 2009 model year. The 2013 GT-R did the Nurburgring in about 7:19. So, the Model S still have ways to go.

Originally Posted by EZZ
... a Plaid will runaway from a 911 Turbo S with ease on the highway ...
Again, no. The 911 Turbo S has a top speed of 205 mph vs. 200 mph for the Model S Plaid and only when the Plaid is "equipped with the proper wheels and tires".

As impressive as it is that EVs are slowly catching up to ICEs in terms of performance/handling, they still have a long way to go before they can surpass ICEs.
Old 09-12-21, 08:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Again, no. The 911 Turbo S has a top speed of 205 mph vs. 200 mph for the Model S Plaid and only when the Plaid is "equipped with the proper wheels and tires".

As impressive as it is that EVs are slowly catching up to ICEs in terms of performance/handling, they still have a long way to go before they can surpass ICEs.
hey i like big engines as much as the next guy but at 6:35 here the 911 turbo s gets the better start but the plaid reels it in and keeps pulling away for the entirety of the 1/4 mile

of the two i'm much more likely to go for the porsche but that plaid really has incredible acceleration (and is named after an awesome inside reference), and so far the only thing i've seen that gives it a real run for its money is the rimac nevera

also in that vid the plaid driver was told by the track director he had to brake at the 1000' because the trap speeds were too much for that track's safety restrictions
Old 09-12-21, 08:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

That GT-R time was for the 2009 model year. The 2013 GT-R did the Nurburgring in about 7:19. So, the Model S still have ways to go.Again, no. The 911 Turbo S has a top speed of 205 mph vs. 200 mph for the Model S Plaid and only when the Plaid is "equipped with the proper wheels and tires".

The Plaid is much much quicker than a turbo S. Acceleration isn't close. Of course no EV is anywhere close to the handling of a Turbo S except maybe a Rimac which costs $2.7M. I honestly hope they don't completely outlaw ICE. I think the regulators will ease the ban when the majority of daily cars are commuter EVs and they will allow a certain percentage of the OEM fleet to remain ICE. Sports cars are better as ICE.
Old 09-12-21, 09:13 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

Doesn’t matter whether you have a Model S, a Turbo S or almost any car for that matter - the opportunities to get into triple digits let alone anywhere close to the 200 mph plus top speeds of these cars are few and far between.

The massive acceleration from the Plaid, on the other hand can be used, abused and enjoyed every day and on every drive. Almost nothing this side of a Rimac accelerates faster than the Plaid. The decent Nurburgring time simply addresses the usual pontifications about Teslas being good only in a straight line and unable to go around corners.
Old 09-13-21, 12:07 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stroock639
hey i like big engines as much as the next guy but at 6:35 here the 911 turbo s gets the better start but the plaid reels it in and keeps pulling away for the entirety of the 1/4 mile

https://youtu.be/UFld6UazxPQ?t=394

of the two i'm much more likely to go for the porsche but that plaid really has incredible acceleration (and is named after an awesome inside reference), and so far the only thing i've seen that gives it a real run for its money is the rimac nevera

also in that vid the plaid driver was told by the track director he had to brake at the 1000' because the trap speeds were too much for that track's safety restrictions
On a long strip of road like an air strip you could hit 200+ mph. At which point the Turbo S pulls past the Model S Plaid. Ultimately, the car with the highest top speed wins in the end.
Old 09-13-21, 12:10 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by swajames
Doesn’t matter whether you have a Model S, a Turbo S or almost any car for that matter - the opportunities to get into triple digits let alone anywhere close to the 200 mph plus top speeds of these cars are few and far between.

The massive acceleration from the Plaid, on the other hand can be used, abused and enjoyed every day and on every drive. Almost nothing this side of a Rimac accelerates faster than the Plaid. The decent Nurburgring time simply addresses the usual pontifications about Teslas being good only in a straight line and unable to go around corners.
The road isn't always straight.
Old 09-13-21, 12:31 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 655 Likes on 409 Posts

The road isn't always straight.
That was the point. The Model S Plaid does just fine in the corners too.
Old 09-13-21, 07:42 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Plaid is much much quicker than a turbo S. Acceleration isn't close. Of course no EV is anywhere close to the handling of a Turbo S except maybe a Rimac which costs $2.7M. I honestly hope they don't completely outlaw ICE. I think the regulators will ease the ban when the majority of daily cars are commuter EVs and they will allow a certain percentage of the OEM fleet to remain ICE. Sports cars are better as ICE.
Less then 2% of sales of vehicles in the US were EV's, Americans clearly don't want them so how do these clueless politicians get the majority of "daily cars" to be EV's when the majority of people don't want them and buy/own ICE?
Old 09-13-21, 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Less then 2% of sales of vehicles in the US were EV's, Americans clearly don't want them so how do these clueless politicians get the majority of "daily cars" to be EV's when the majority of people don't want them and buy/own ICE?
first off, no politics. second, your logic doesn't work. just because it's 2% today doesn't mean 'americans clearly don't want them' or MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY, it doesn't mean more won't in the future.
also recently i saw it's now 2.5% ev sales in the u.s.

we really only have a handful of EVs for sale right now in the u.s. for one thing. new teslas ordered today often won't be delivered for months due to global demand (i assume they ship them to wherever they make the most money or they have a strategic reason). we all know that people in apartments/condos without modern charging outlets can't use ev's unless they want to deal with the hassle and expense of charging stations, so that rules out a huge chunk of the market. and we also know that most people don't see any reason to switch to an EV yet.

also, i know you were replying, but this doesn't have anything to do with the tesla model s plaid.

people who get a plaid do see a reason to get one... cool car, and insane performance! a friend of mine just got one, he loves the performance, hates the yoke and a lot of the UI.
Old 09-13-21, 12:17 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

On a long strip of road like an air strip you could hit 200+ mph. At which point the Turbo S pulls past the Model S Plaid. Ultimately, the car with the highest top speed wins in the end.
well now we've just gone from highway to air strip... personally i'd just get the porsche and tune it so it's a sub 9 sec car
Old 09-13-21, 02:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

o recently i saw it's now 2.5% ev sales in the u.s.

that is not that great a percentage . Pretty insignificant. Take away any incentives and the number is under 1%
Old 09-13-21, 02:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
that is not that great a percentage . Pretty insignificant. Take away any incentives and the number is under 1%
no question it's still early days, but you've only got to look at the enthusiasm for ev's to know it's going places.

in 2007 apple launched the iphone. nokia? blackberry? bueler?
Old 09-13-21, 02:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

but you've only got to look at the enthusiasm for ev's to know it's going places.
Still TBD if battery electrics will take off. Sure there is enthusiasm, but for the un-rich, there is not much. If there were no incentives, they wouldn’t sell.
Old 09-13-21, 02:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Assuming the cheaper upcoming Tesla Model 2 comes stateside (it'll be be designed for Europe's smaller roads), it could help those who cannot get into a Model 3, still get into a Tesla.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid