EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 04:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
The Mercedes is a production car and the Plaid isn't. Keep trying, one day the Plaid will beat an ICE car. When that day arrives there are no ICE cars around.
The Plaid is slower than that one ICE sedan around a track but it can beat it in any acceleration or street use scenario. I'd take that tradeoff as I'd personally rather have the power but everyone is different.
Old 09-16-21, 04:47 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I just had my second go around in my neighbor's Plaid today. You can never tell me the yoke is a good idea. I had a nice little smirk on while watching him try to honk his horn and then realizing he needed to hit the small button on the yoke spoke. Also, his dashboard has definitely been installed crooked and is making loud creaking noises, which he intends to get fixed.

But oh man that acceleration never gets less devastating. It's unsettling.
Old 09-16-21, 04:53 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I just had my second go around in my neighbor's Plaid today. You can never tell me the yoke is a good idea. I had a nice little smirk on while watching him try to honk his horn and then realizing he needed to hit the small button on the yoke spoke. Also, his dashboard has definitely been installed crooked and is making loud creaking noises, which he intends to get fixed.

But oh man that acceleration never gets less devastating. It's unsettling.
Sooo...you're saying its kinda fast

I'd love to own a Plaid but fear I may kill myself if I had one. I've done some pretty naughty things in my M3P and its pretty slow comparatively.
Old 09-16-21, 05:06 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sooo...you're saying its kinda fast

I'd love to own a Plaid but fear I may kill myself if I had one. I've done some pretty naughty things in my M3P and its pretty slow comparatively.
Honestly when I was in the driver's seat myself I couldn't see myself being as much of a hooligan in that car vs. if I was driving my car or a wheel-equipped Tesla. The yoke really doesn't inspire confidence, at least for me.
Old 09-16-21, 05:22 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
"there is no gap in traffic that is too small to dive into with one of these" - matt farah on the P90D
Old 09-16-21, 05:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
"there is no gap in traffic that is too small to dive into with one of these" - matt farah on the P90D
Tell me about it. My Performance 3 is about as fast as that 90D and I've hit a space and almost got run over because people didn't see me there. No noise to signal you entered that space and sometimes you just get there too fast and they don't see. I've definitely learned to be more defensive with this car.

The Plaids additional power would not be for that though. It would be to embarrass that Ferrari that lines up against you
Old 09-17-21, 04:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

saw this in the new CR mag. Bit surprised by the terrible reliability of the in car electronics. As well as the power equipment

Old 09-17-21, 07:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
saw this in the new CR mag. Bit surprised by the terrible reliability of the in car electronics. As well as the power equipment

Weird that it got worse in 2020. Lets hope the new Model S with all new electronics does much better.
Old 09-17-21, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
The Mercedes is a production car and the Plaid isn't. Keep trying, one day the Plaid will beat an ICE car. When that day arrives there are no ICE cars around.
The Plaid is absolutely a production car. You can go buy one right now.
Old 09-17-21, 07:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
Meaning drivers can be even bigger a-holes than in other cars.

Hands up anyone here who loves it when you're in dense traffic and there's "that guy" who is tailgating inches away from car in front and then swings into the other lane, then swings back, etc.
Old 09-17-21, 08:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Plaid tested was pre-production but essentially unchanged however, it can't be officially recognized because of that. Its plainly obvious the Plaid isn't the best handling car in its class and I never claimed it to be so. But to say any production ICE is quicker is a joke right now because they all accelerate slower than that thing. Definitely the new king of the street.
Old 09-17-21, 08:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Meaning drivers can be even bigger a-holes than in other cars.

Hands up anyone here who loves it when you're in dense traffic and there's "that guy" who is tailgating inches away from car in front and then swings into the other lane, then swings back, etc.
The worst kind of drivers definitely - complete and total disregard for anyone on the road.
Old 09-17-21, 01:30 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Plaid is slower than that one ICE sedan around a track but it can beat it in any acceleration or street use scenario. I'd take that tradeoff as I'd personally rather have the power but everyone is different.
The Plaid is also slower than a Porsche Panamera Turbo and a Jaguar XE SV PROJECT 8 around the Nurburgring. Both cars with much less horsepower.
Old 09-17-21, 01:33 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not the Plaid that went around the Nurburgring or Laguna Seca.
Old 09-17-21, 01:35 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Originally Posted by EZZ
The Plaid tested was pre-production but essentially unchanged however, it can't be officially recognized because of that. Its plainly obvious the Plaid isn't the best handling car in its class and I never claimed it to be so. But to say any production ICE is quicker is a joke right now because they all accelerate slower than that thing. Definitely the new king of the street.
Anyone can build a dragster that's fast in the straight line. It takes more engineering to develop a car that can handle the turns.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid