EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 10:25 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
Some production ICE sedans lap times around the Nurburgring for comparisons:

Jaguar XE SV Project 8 - 7:18.36

Mercedes-Benz AMG GT 63 S - 7:23.01

Porsche Panamera Turbo S - 7:25.04

BMW M5 CS - 7:29.57

Alfa Romeo Giulia QV - 7:32.00
There's a 3.8% difference between the quickest Nurburgring time on your list, the Jag XE at 7:18, and the Tesla Plaid at 7:35.

The difference in acceleration between all of the cars on your list and the Model S is, however, considerably greater than 3.8% (it doesn't matter whether we're talking 0-60, 0-100, quarter mile).

So the only reasonable conclusion you can draw is that the Tesla is much closer to the other cars in terms of handling than they are to the Tesla in terms of acceleration.

The Panamera Turbo S, Mercedes AMG GT 63 S and BMW M5 CS all have a higher MSRP. The Jag, when it was available, had a higher MSRP than the Porsche, MB and BMW.

I don't know there's really much to argue here, the Tesla acquits itself more than admirably in this company.
Old 09-18-21, 12:26 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 476 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I could say the same thing about the cars you mentioned. Great handlers but really underpowered for a flagship sedan...one trick pony?

Understandable as IcE is outdated tech.
However, these cars are well designed, well manufactured and well assembled, without trying too hard with yolk steering wheels and crooked dashboards.
i cant stand poor quality of manufacture.

Overall, Teslas have excellent drivelines, let down by sometimes questionable design, poor quality of manufacture and assembly, while the ageing 1991 Sony lithium ion technology has a poor energy density that cripples the ability of EV’s to be top handling motor vehicles.

My next purchase will be EV, but I’m willing to wait 5-10 years for battery technology to develop with much higher energy densities, faster charging, and less battery degradation to more genuinely save the environment.
Old 09-18-21, 01:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,977 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
However, these cars are well designed, well manufactured and well assembled, without trying too hard with yolk steering wheels and crooked dashboards.
i cant stand poor quality of manufacture.

Overall, Teslas have excellent drivelines, let down by sometimes questionable design, poor quality of manufacture and assembly, while the ageing 1991 Sony lithium ion technology has a poor energy density that cripples the ability of EV’s to be top handling motor vehicles.

My next purchase will be EV, but I’m willing to wait 5-10 years for battery technology to develop with much higher energy densities, faster charging, and less battery degradation to more genuinely save the environment.
What do you drive?
Old 09-18-21, 03:49 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
I could say the same thing about the cars you mentioned. Great handlers but really underpowered for a flagship sedan...one trick pony?

Understandable as IcE is outdated tech.
You clearly missed the point as usual. The Plaid has over 1,000 hp which is nearly twice what those ICE cars that I mentioned have and yet the Plaid is slower than all of them. Like I said, anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line but it takes real engineering to make a car handle a corner. So no, those ICE cars that lapped the Nurburgring faster than the Plaid are not one trick ponies. I could on about how those ICE cars that I mentioned could travel more distance on one tank of fuel than the Plaid, take less time to refuel and travel comfortably in style but that would be adding insult to injury.

BTW, Porsche just broke ground on a factory in Chile readying to produce synthetic fuel. ICE cars aren't going anywhere.
Old 09-18-21, 04:04 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swajames
There's a 3.8% difference between the quickest Nurburgring time on your list, the Jag XE at 7:18, and the Tesla Plaid at 7:35.

The difference in acceleration between all of the cars on your list and the Model S is, however, considerably greater than 3.8% (it doesn't matter whether we're talking 0-60, 0-100, quarter mile).

So the only reasonable conclusion you can draw is that the Tesla is much closer to the other cars in terms of handling than they are to the Tesla in terms of acceleration.

The Panamera Turbo S, Mercedes AMG GT 63 S and BMW M5 CS all have a higher MSRP. The Jag, when it was available, had a higher MSRP than the Porsche, MB and BMW.

I don't know there's really much to argue here, the Tesla acquits itself more than admirably in this company.
I believe you're confusing straight line performance with handling. The Plaid has 1,020 hp versus the Project 8's 592 hp. With that horsepower advantage the Plaid should have lapped faster than all those ICE cars that I mentioned if it could handle the corners but it didn't. I don't believe that is something to brag about.
Old 09-18-21, 04:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
You clearly missed the point as usual. The Plaid has over 1,000 hp which is nearly twice what those ICE cars that I mentioned have and yet the Plaid is slower than all of them. Like I said, anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line but it takes real engineering to make a car handle a corner. So no, those ICE cars that lapped the Nurburgring faster than the Plaid are not one trick ponies. I could on about how those ICE cars that I mentioned could travel more distance on one tank of fuel than the Plaid, take less time to refuel and travel comfortably in style but that would be adding insult to injury.

BTW, Porsche just broke ground on a factory in Chile readying to produce synthetic fuel. ICE cars aren't going anywhere.
No, you are completely missing the point. It was never tuned for track. It's soft and floaty and comfortable with the air suspension. It was always a Gt type car but happens to run a fast Ring time. Making a daily, maintenance free. 1000jp monster is far harder than making a car go fast around a track. There are plenty of cars that go fast around the ring. Many many many examples. There are 4 or 5 1000+ hp production cars that can be daily drive? Synthetic fuel. Bahahaha
Old 09-18-21, 04:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

F1Driver / EZZ, i think you've both comprehensively made your points for all to read, so perhaps give it a rest.
Old 09-19-21, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Am I the only one that doesn't care at all about nuerburgring times when I select a car? Recall the old Top Gear bit where they they said the nuerburgring ruins cars lol

Old 09-19-21, 09:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Am I the only one that doesn't care at all about nuerburgring times when I select a car? Recall the old Top Gear bit where they they said the nuerburgring ruins cars lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1ESSwNXB0
Same here, it's not relevant at all in any car buying decision.
Old 09-19-21, 06:37 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

that's why i much prefer it that my cars are tuned for the autobahn not the nurburgring lol
Old 09-20-21, 07:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's why i much prefer it that my cars are tuned for the autobahn not the nurburgring lol
Yup! Agreed
Old 09-20-21, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1ESSwNXB0
99% of the car buying people don't care. But building a brand, Tesla is doing themselves good by doing this
Old 09-20-21, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
99% of the car buying people don't care. But building a brand, Tesla is doing themselves good by doing this
I think Tesla has done great, I was just commenting how absurd people who tout a few cars that have better times as proof that Tesla has failed are.
Old 09-20-21, 06:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I think Tesla has done great, I was just commenting how absurd people who tout a few cars that have better times as proof that Tesla has failed are.
They have done great no doubt. But they are not #1 on that track…there are like 60 cars with faster lap time. Long way to go. The trouble with a Tesla chatting is that it always turns into a giant controversy. Tesla plaid is like 1000 hp, cars with lesser power are still ahead.
Old 09-20-21, 06:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They have done great no doubt. But they are not #1 on that track…there are like 60 cars with faster lap time. Long way to go. The trouble with a Tesla chatting is that it always turns into a giant controversy. Tesla plaid is like 1000 hp, cars with lesser power are still ahead.
There is no controversy. The Plaid simply doesn't handle as well as those cars. Tesla has never built something that handles as well as a Porsche and may never.

Tesla has always been great at the straight line stuff and that's why people buy them.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid