EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 02:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

With the real estate there, the taxes, the commensurate salaries, car payments or costs are just not as big a factor as in a lot of other places. That's to me why there's so many nice cars there. There's a ton of nice cars in FL too for different reasons... tons of retirees here and people with wealth who moved here to escape high taxes. But real estate in FL is dirt cheap in comparison with CA
Old 11-08-21, 08:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
stated like someone who lives in california where a million buys you an out house.

you do know the avg car price is about $40K? People buying $150K cars all have a net worth of at least a million. Granted, a million's not that much any more, and the govt is now eyeing how to grab assets, not just income.
IMO a million net worth isn't enough to justify comfortably buying $150,000 car, not the wisest decision to use 15% of your assets on a car. I do agree a million isn't what it used to be.
Old 11-08-21, 09:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just to add some color here, the average Mercedes S-class buyer has an average income of $375,000 per year. I would say the chances of the average $150k car buyer having a net worth far higher than a million is very high.

Last edited by TangoRed; 11-08-21 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-08-21, 10:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Just to add some color here, the average Mercedes S-class buyer has an average income of $375,000 per year. I would say the chances of the average $150k car buyer has a net worth far higher than a million.
So about the average silicon valley principal engineering salary Lots of nice cars in the Bay...lol
Old 11-08-21, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
IMO a million net worth isn't enough to justify comfortably buying $150,000 car, not the wisest decision to use 15% of your assets on a car. I do agree a million isn't what it used to be.
Depends on how much money you make. As was said before, people who buy cars like this have incomes $350k+ often. Even if your net worth isn't $1M+, the payment is more than comfortable on $30k+ a month in income.
Old 11-08-21, 05:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Depends on how much money you make. As was said before, people who buy cars like this have incomes $350k+ often. Even if your net worth isn't $1M+, the payment is more than comfortable on $30k+ a month in income.
Subract half for taxes, so 15k. What would an actual car payment be on $150K? Leasing is wayyy cheaper. I just plugged it in, roughly 3 grand a month to buy one of these.
Old 11-08-21, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Subract half for taxes, so 15k. What would an actual car payment be on $150K? Leasing is wayyy cheaper. I just plugged it in, roughly 3 grand a month to buy one of these.
Depends. I make more than that and I pay way less than half in taxes. People with high incomes often have a lot of tax strategies, income that comes from businesses with writeoffs, K1s, tax savings entities like S Corps, etc. You're only paying anywhere near 50% if its straight W2 employment.

Even if its $3k a month, with that kind of income thats 10% of their gross monthly income. If you look up what "financial gurus" (who are FOS) say the max one should spend on a monthly car payment...its 10% of their gross monthly income.

I have NEVER considered my net worth when deciding whether I can afford a car or not. I have a financial plan, and I fund that plan, and whatever is left over is my money to finance my household and my lifestyle. If a car payment fits into what I want to allocate to that spend and I want it, then I get it. The amount I spend on cars has zero impact on my financial situation. Most other people with high incomes are the same way.

If you have to really think about how you can afford a car like that, you shouldn't be buying one or leasing one.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-08-21 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 06:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I have NEVER considered my net worth when deciding whether I can afford a car or not.

If you have to really think about how you can afford a car like that, you shouldn't be buying one or leasing one.
Us either, but we have a cap we spend on cars just because of the way I am with money. We just piddle around town like a 5 mile radius, thats it. A trip out of town once a year or so maybe. There is no reason we need anything nicer than the already nice cars we have, old or not.

I just spent a lot on a boat (double what I paid for my LX) but that's a financial hit very worth the happiness etc. boating provides and I hope to get 20 years out of this vessel.
Old 11-08-21, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Us either, but we have a cap we spend on cars just because of the way I am with money. We just piddle around town like a 5 mile radius, thats it. A trip out of town once a year or so maybe. There is no reason we need anything nicer than the already nice cars we have, old or not.

I just spent a lot on a boat (double what I paid for my LX) but that's a financial hit very worth the happiness etc. boating provides and I hope to get 20 years out of this vessel.
Everybody's different, thats why blanket statements about what someone can and can not afford or should and should not spend are meaningless, everybody's situation is really different. Bottom line is, most people who buy $150k cars have a lot of disposable money. If you're just one person with no family and you live in a low cost way, you need a lot less than $350k to have a lot of disposable money, so its all relative.

If I didn't drive as much as I do, I wouldnt spend as much as I spend on my car either.
Old 11-08-21, 06:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Everybody's different, thats why blanket statements about what someone can and can not afford or should and should not spend are meaningless, everybody's situation is really different. Bottom line is, most people who buy $150k cars have a lot of disposable money.

If I didn't drive as much as I do, I wouldnt spend as much as I spend on my car either.
Exactly...we shouldn't judge as a ton of people here have a ton of disposable income. Overall, $150k for a car isn't that much money for a lot of people...no more expensive than to get a well loaded 911S. $3K per month is actually cheap compared to what i pay for private school for my kids . I always complain that the kids ate my Porsche fund.

Old 11-08-21, 06:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Exactly...we shouldn't judge as a ton of people here have a ton of disposable income. Overall, $150k for a car isn't that much money for a lot of people...no more expensive than to get a well loaded 911S. $3K per month is actually cheap compared to what i pay for private school for my kids . I always complain that the kids ate my Porsche fund.
Yep, totally!
Old 11-08-21, 07:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Us either, but we have a cap we spend on cars just because of the way I am with money.
excet when it comes to boats.

There is no reason we need anything nicer than the already nice cars we have, old or not.
And after a point this isn't about reason any longer. You don't have a great reason to dunk a load of money on a boat although you have a wonderful reason, it will make you happy. Buying my LC for 100K was 'dumb' but i don't regret it.

And boats are typically more expensive to maintain than cars, but you want it, good for you!!!

humans can rationalize anything.

including buying a 2s 0-60 sedan (brings it home)

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-08-21 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 07:26 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 732 Likes on 460 Posts

“What I choose to waste money on is perfectly explainable and rational, but you should see what these other idiots are spending on their cars..!

do I have that right?
Old 11-08-21, 07:29 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

excet when it comes to boats.

And after a point this isn't about reason any longer. You don't have a great reason to dunk a load of money on a boat although you have a wonderful reason, it will make you happy. Buying my LC for 100K was 'dumb' but i don't regret it.

And boats are typically more expensive to maintain than cars, but you want it, good for you!!!

humans can rationalize anything.

including buying a 2s 0-60 sedan (brings it home)
Worth every penny
Old 11-08-21, 07:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly. I have no strong desire to own a boat. My dad had a boat, and I enjoy boating, but its not something that I have the time for or the focus for, I live too far from the water, etc. Perhaps there will come a time in my life where I have a boat or want a boat. That boat will cost more to have than my S Class costs me to have I bet lol.

Originally Posted by swajames
“What I choose to waste money on is perfectly explainable and rational, but you should see what these other idiots are spending on their cars..!

do I have that right?
Pretty much lol. I have a friend who thinks the money I spend on cars is absurd. But, he belongs to a country club he pays nearly $1,000 a month just to belong to and he just rented a villa in Italy for a month for $27,000. Neither of those things appeal to me. My sister in law has a house in NJ where her mortgage payment is $9,000 a month. Zero interest in that either, although technically I could "afford" it. They've never had a car over $40,000 even though they could afford to do so. So, its all relative.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid