EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-21, 07:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Someone ran a sub 9s quarter mile with a stripped interior. Pretty fast.

https://uk.motor1.com/news/546973/mo...-sub-9seconds/

Old 11-11-21, 11:01 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yes, model S LR is a BARGAIN really... but obviously an entirely different kind of vehicle than a taycan.
model S LR (and plaid) is a bit like a dodge charger hellcat/demon/whatever... very fast, not super fancy or luxurious. still awesome though
Very well said, especially if you consider how some of us use the car. For me the S has to be an all-in-one vehicle. Utility /space (more or less like an SUV), seats 5 adults comfortably, powerful, tons of fun to drive, looks beautiful, brings a huge smile to my face every single time I drive it, latest EV tech and not crazy expensive.

I cannot justify having multiple cars that are narrowly focused on one or some of the criteria above (a Taycan Cross Turismo would be a good alternative, but it's too expensive and cannot be lowered enough for my tastes).

THe S satisfies my need for speed and I can drive it year-round - snow/ice is just laughed at.

It's like having a SUV, sports car and people mover all in one at a "reasonable" price.
Old 11-11-21, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Very well said, especially if you consider how some of us use the car. For me the S has to be an all-in-one vehicle. Utility /space (more or less like an SUV), seats 5 adults comfortably, powerful, tons of fun to drive, looks beautiful, brings a huge smile to my face every single time I drive it, latest EV tech and not crazy expensive.

I cannot justify having multiple cars that are narrowly focused on one or some of the criteria above (a Taycan Cross Turismo would be a good alternative, but it's too expensive and cannot be lowered enough for my tastes).

THe S satisfies my need for speed and I can drive it year-round - snow/ice is just laughed at.

It's like having a SUV, sports car and people mover all in one at a "reasonable" price.
great post.
as you know, i ultimately decided recently i couldn't have one 'do it all' vehicle so the suv and coupe combo i have is decadent for a guy like me, but i like it. today at my office i just put a tall metal pole with the giant concrete footer still attached to it in the suv, to take home, demolish the concrete and recycle the pole. i wouldn't attempt this in the coupe or a model S!
Old 11-11-21, 01:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

This is the actual side by side by side lap that Randy did with the Plaid, M5CS, and Blackwing. He also broke the record with these sedans...incredible driver.

Old 11-11-21, 08:01 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This is the actual side by side by side lap that Randy did with the Plaid, M5CS, and Blackwing. He also broke the record with these sedans...incredible driver.
randy is the man... also i think it's very impressive how 3 different approaches achieve roughly the same time! coming out of that last corner i'm like uh oh caddy that's not enough of a lead the tesla's gonna reel you in! and sure enough...
Old 11-25-21, 04:06 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Tesla unveils $20,000 Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for Model S Plaid

https://electrek.co/2021/11/24/tesla...l-s-plaid/amp/

I guess this was inevitable...
Old 11-25-21, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this should have come as option together with the car.

and looks like this is like an aftermarket add-on? why not make it a factory option?
Old 11-25-21, 04:17 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by rominl

and looks like this is like an aftermarket add-on? why not make it a factory option?
From what I understand it will be a factory option, not an after market add-on and only available with the 21 inch Arachnids.

Last edited by Hameed; 11-25-21 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-25-21, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

the way Tesla does things, it should be option on vehicle... i really do hope it is also a dealer installed accessory so buyers who already have Plaid can upgrade.
Although there seem to be dedicated Tesla tuners already offering something similar, cant beat manufacturer warranty.
Old 11-25-21, 06:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Tesla unveils $20,000 Carbon Ceramic Brake Kit for Model S Plaid

https://electrek.co/2021/11/24/tesla...l-s-plaid/amp/

I guess this was inevitable...
$20,000 is a tough pill to swallow for carbon ceramics and I personally don’t want carbon ceramics anyway. A good steel set up would have been fine for me. There are several reviews that say that the braking is very inadequate for the car and I wish they would have installed adequate brakes for the car without having to go carbon ceramics.
Old 11-25-21, 07:50 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by patgilm
$20,000 is a tough pill to swallow for carbon ceramics and I personally don’t want carbon ceramics anyway. A good steel set up would have been fine for me. There are several reviews that say that the braking is very inadequate for the car and I wish they would have installed adequate brakes for the car without having to go carbon ceramics.
I guess carbon ceramic brakes are the appropriate brakes for a car this fast 😃
Old 11-25-21, 08:25 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

I guess carbon ceramic brakes are the appropriate brakes for a car this fast 😃
Not really unless you are tracking. They really only help with brake fade and doesn’t really decrease stopping distance. For a street car they are overkill and to me actually worse because they need to warm up vs regular brakes. Not really good for a daily driver. Tesla should have just put adequate regular brakes on it and that could have solved things from the get go.
Old 11-25-21, 08:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Not really unless you are tracking. They really only help with brake fade and doesn’t really decrease stopping distance. For a street car they are overkill and to me actually worse because they need to warm up vs regular brakes. Not really good for a daily driver. Tesla should have just put adequate regular brakes on it and that could have solved things from the get go.
I was just kidding. You're absolutely right, it's only useful for the track.
Old 11-25-21, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I was just kidding. You're absolutely right, it's only useful for the track.
Ceramic rotors not only help with the issues you two mention, but also with the tendency of steel rotors (even vented steel rotors, in some cases) to get out-of-round (runout) and warp from heat-buildup, causing pulsations/vibrations in the brake pedal when applied at cruise-speeds. If and when that happens, there isn't much else that can be done outside of either truing the rotors up again on a brake-lathe (If enough metal on them is remaining to safely do that), or new rotors, period. Ceramic rotors can withstand that kind of heat without warping, as the ceramic material itself (which is also used in pottery) is designed to be baked in high-temperature ovens.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-25-21 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-25-21, 09:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ceramic rotors not only help with the issues you two mention, but also with the tendency of steel rotors (even vented steel rotors, in some cases) to get out-of-round (runout) and warp from heat-buildup, causing pulsations/vibrations in the brake pedal when applied at cruise-speeds. If and when that happens, there isn't much else that can be done outside of either truing the rotors up again on a brake-lathe (If enough metal on them is remaining to safely do that), or new rotors, period. Ceramic rotors can withstand that kind of heat without warping, as the ceramic material itself (which is also used in pottery) is designed to be baked in high-temperature ovens.
I can’t tell you the last time I’ve had warped or out of round rotors and I’ve had a lot of cars. Not a concern to me at all. Not even remotely. If you are that worried about rotors how about the chance of chipping a ceramic rotor removing the wheels? One small chip and they are toast costing thousands. Both of these issues are just non issues to me. Maybe I just know how to brake and torque my lugs correctly.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid