EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-21, 01:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I will but it’s going straight to clear bra and then headed out of town until Monday so I won’t get much seat time until then. I will try to do a write up of the whole experience with pics once I have more time.
Congratulations!!!👍👍👍 Looking forward to your initial write up!!

What color combo did you get? Wheels?
Old 12-09-21, 01:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

The Tesla isn't in the same universe as modified cars. They are over 2 full seconds behind in the 1/4 to say nothing of 60-150 rolls

They also can't measure up to luxury brands quality and refinement to say nothing of interior features.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm getting a Calvo gen4 Viper so that I have dominance on the streets.
Old 12-09-21, 01:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Awesome, congrats!
Old 12-09-21, 01:52 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Picking up my Plaid now. Way better service picking it up compared to ordering. Found a few flaws in the paint that they are touching up now. On any other car it would drive me crazy but my expectations for Tesla is lower so it’s more acceptable to me. Weird thing is the right passenger door edge somehow was scraped all the way down like they dragged it. It is what it is.
I've heard all sorts of oddities with these and my neighbor's Plaid was no exception. Hopefully that is all behind you soon so you can enjoy your sweet ride. Congrats!
Old 12-09-21, 04:31 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's fast but I'll take any car mentioned over one.
Old 12-09-21, 08:26 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Picking up my Plaid now. Way better service picking it up compared to ordering. Found a few flaws in the paint that they are touching up now. On any other car it would drive me crazy but my expectations for Tesla is lower so it’s more acceptable to me. Weird thing is the right passenger door edge somehow was scraped all the way down like they dragged it. It is what it is.
I can't comprehend how a car that expensive gets a pass from you for glaring lack of quality like that.
Old 12-09-21, 08:29 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Congratulations!!!👍👍👍 Looking forward to your initial write up!!

What color combo did you get? Wheels?
I got white with black interior and the regular 19” wheels. They had a black one there and it looked really good and there is part of me that wished I got black but I didn’t like that it was not a metallic black. As for the upgraded 21” wheels I’m glad I didn’t pay $4,500 for the upgrade because they don’t look good in person. The good thing about getting the 19’s is I can get some new wheels that are forged and look better than the 21” for around the same price. Plus my wife already said she didn’t like the wheels that are on it and already gave me the green light for new ones.
Old 12-09-21, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

patgilm, congrats! I really can't comprehend driving a car that fast, so be careful!
i've watched a few videos on them and i still think the yoke is not 'optimal' for safe driving but my opinion is just that, and irrelevant.

best of luck with it!
Old 12-09-21, 08:39 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The Tesla isn't in the same universe as modified cars. They are over 2 full seconds behind in the 1/4 to say nothing of 60-150 rolls

They also can't measure up to luxury brands quality and refinement to say nothing of interior features.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm getting a Calvo gen4 Viper so that I have dominance on the streets.
It’s my daily driver so with two kids the Viper wouldn’t work. I could build my GTR but I don’t want the headache of a built car and the potential issues that come with it.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Awesome, congrats!
Thanks.

I can't comprehend how a car that expensive gets a pass from you for glaring lack of quality like that.
It’s all about expectations, kind of like my Durango SRT. I knew that truck didn’t have the refinement or fit and finish of a luxury brand but I loved that thing.

Originally Posted by Kense
It's fast but I'll take any car mentioned over one.
The problem is finding said car. There was no way I would be able to get an M5 and if I did the wait would be too long and some of the options wouldn’t be available which I wouldn’t be happy about.
Old 12-10-21, 07:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

It’s my daily driver so with two kids the Viper wouldn’t work. I could build my GTR but I don’t want the headache of a built car and the potential issues that come with it.

Thanks.

It’s all about expectations, kind of like my Durango SRT. I knew that truck didn’t have the refinement or fit and finish of a luxury brand but I loved that thing.

The problem is finding said car. There was no way I would be able to get an M5 and if I did the wait would be too long and some of the options wouldn’t be available which I wouldn’t be happy about.
I get that but the types of issues you mentioned are just a car that is flat out not built correctly.
Old 12-10-21, 08:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I get that but the types of issues you mentioned are just a car that is flat out not built correctly.
Isn't that the issue...how many garages do you know that build correctly? I know a handful and none are close to me and if I built a car, I would only take it to them for maintenance, repairs, etc... I think most people would rather just buy a fast car out of the box and play with it until the warranty neared and then get a new one. A Plaid will still embarrass 99.99999% of the cars on the street and the day he meets a properly built one, he may still take it as he has no traction issues and its always ready to boogie as you just smash and go. Most people outside of Mexico rarely have that chance encounter on the highway to play with a properly built one, so for someone of wealth, its just easier to buy a Plaid and have fun with it. I know people with properly fast GTRs and the amount of money they put in, and the care they take to not break the car is something lots of people don't want to deal with. You can mash the throttle on a Plaid all day long for 5 years and the only thing that will break is the suspension. Only like 10 moving parts on the powertrain. I think far more people are like Patgilm...its fast enough for fun and comes with a long warranty.
Old 12-13-21, 01:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

tl;dr - door lock broken right after delivery. yoke sucks. tesla's paint is garbage (quote). new interior is better. super fast but only in a straight line.

Old 12-14-21, 01:19 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Something odd is up: over 170+ Model S Plaids were released into Tesla inventory and many are still unsold after a few days. It can't be any 2022 tax incentives that are delaying potential buyers (like other Teslas). Maybe it is the high price or ?

Old 12-14-21, 06:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Something odd is up: over 170+ Model S Plaids were released into Tesla inventory and many are still unsold after a few days. It can't be any 2022 tax incentives that are delaying potential buyers (like other Teslas). Maybe it is the high price or ?
Model S cars are available in stock without an order in my area. Demand has slowed for sure

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-14-21 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-14-21, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
i love a lot of what tesla has done for the market and society, and is doing, but about this plaid, besides the (big) 'novelty' factors, like blinding speed you can't use 99% of the time, it's just not that great. a terrible steering 'yoke' and no variable steering makes regular driving difficult and horrible quality control don't help. and selling cars over 100K isn't a slam dunk unless you're a brand like ferrari (who has earned it over a very long time).

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid