EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 07:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Model S is better than the 3 in that regard, and that was extensively improved for the refresh version you have.
He also test drove a newer M3P with the laminated acoustic glass and improved sound deadening. Mine is older and louder
Old 12-27-21, 09:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
He also test drove a newer M3P with the laminated acoustic glass and improved sound deadening. Mine is older and louder
the m3p has different glass setup?
Old 12-27-21, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by patgilm
Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that. I didn't even think about it to be honest.
granted, quite a few neighbors of mine they just let the garage doors sit on the cables and so far i don't see any houses got burnt down yet, but better safe than sorry?

did you upgrade to the latest SW yet with the new GUI?
Old 12-27-21, 09:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
the m3p has different glass setup?
No. He test drove the newer Model 3 which all have the new laminated glass and improved sound deadening. The trim he test drove just happened to be the Performance version.
Old 12-28-21, 12:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by EZZ
No. He test drove the newer Model 3 which all have the new laminated glass and improved sound deadening. The trim he test drove just happened to be the Performance version.
got it.

i didn't know the latest model 3 now has laminated glass and improved sound insulation. going to be interesting comparison when i get a new one (if i stay with model 3) next year!
Old 12-28-21, 05:05 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Congratulations on the new plaid

I saw one on the street about 1-2 months back and it had the PLAID badge.

Did you remove yours?
Old 12-28-21, 05:30 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek

Did you remove yours?
based on his review it probably fell off or the factory forgot to install it lol

Those quality issues are completely unacceptable, especially the exterior ones considering they’ve been making these for like 10 years now
Old 12-28-21, 05:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Did you remove yours?
Good eye, the Plaid badge as well as the T emblem were taken off when I had paint protection film put on the entire car. I needed my car before a couple small things were completed so I picked it up before everything was completed. The only things left to do is to put film on the carbon spoiler (because I personally like the gloss carbon fiber look better) and to wrap the T emblems in the front and back in gloss black film to match the other black accents on the car. Seems easy enough but the film I had applied is Suntek Reaction film which has a ceramic coating built in and nothing sticks to it well so the installer needs to take compound to the area where the emblems go to take off the top coating and he didn't have time. I'm not sure I'm going to put the Plaid lettering back on because I don't like the chrome lettering so I may replace it with a Plaid badge like the ones that came on the first 25 cars that were sold.
Old 12-28-21, 06:51 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Sounds like Tesla sales and after sales service is non existent. Symptom of demand exceeding supply.
Old 12-28-21, 09:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

i didn't know the latest model 3 now has laminated glass and improved sound insulation. going to be interesting comparison when i get a new one (if i stay with model 3) next year!
the new 3 i just drove was pretty quiet (road noise). i was surprised based on what i'd read.
Old 12-29-21, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the new 3 i just drove was pretty quiet (road noise). i was surprised based on what i'd read.
my 2018 is definitely not as quiet compared to our GLE or previous 4GS
Old 12-31-21, 11:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Good eye, the Plaid badge as well as the T emblem were taken off when I had paint protection film put on the entire car. I needed my car before a couple small things were completed so I picked it up before everything was completed. The only things left to do is to put film on the carbon spoiler (because I personally like the gloss carbon fiber look better) and to wrap the T emblems in the front and back in gloss black film to match the other black accents on the car. Seems easy enough but the film I had applied is Suntek Reaction film which has a ceramic coating built in and nothing sticks to it well so the installer needs to take compound to the area where the emblems go to take off the top coating and he didn't have time. I'm not sure I'm going to put the Plaid lettering back on because I don't like the chrome lettering so I may replace it with a Plaid badge like the ones that came on the first 25 cars that were sold.
Thanks for the follow up.
You should just leave it off for the sleeper look
Old 12-31-21, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Thanks for the follow up.
You should just leave it off for the sleeper look
I would as well, and not just for the "surprise" factor. If you lived in my area every guy in a Charger or Mustang would want to race you. In 2018 I bought a 10th Gen Civic Si (black, no doubt) for it's inexpensive price and practicality, as well as wanting to get back into a manual. Shortly after getting it, I was constantly swarmed by guys wanting to race. People in WRX's, STi's, Focus ST etc. It really got annoying because it really wasn't that fast and I don't race...99 percent of the time
Old 12-31-21, 02:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I would as well, and not just for the "surprise" factor. If you lived in my area every guy in a Charger or Mustang would want to race you. In 2018 I bought a 10th Gen Civic Si (black, no doubt) for it's inexpensive price and practicality, as well as wanting to get back into a manual. Shortly after getting it, I was constantly swarmed by guys wanting to race. People in WRX's, STi's, Focus ST etc. It really got annoying because it really wasn't that fast and I don't race...99 percent of the time
That was just like that when I first got my model 3 Performance. Slaughtered the Mustangs, Camaros, M3s, and Vettes. The STIs didn't even bother...way too slow. Only lasted a couple months before they all gave up.
Old 12-31-21, 02:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

my 2018 is definitely not as quiet compared to our GLE or previous 4GS
i think tesla made some sound deadening changes with the refresh. i think they even added laminated glass to back windows. my test drive though was only brief and on some back country roads so i couldn't get a real read.

i'd be very interested if you drive a new 3 at some point for comparison.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid