EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-22, 08:39 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,228 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Feedback from an owner that got the update on how it changes the car

"To answer some questions, yes, you can drive with this full time, but you lose some features when it is turned on such as NAV search, cruise control, autopilot, and other items, it not meant for the street, but it's just fine on the street. Yes it eats more battery, I could care less though, as it will now be my new fun mode. The extra fan noise and drama adds to the experience; it's now an occasion to drive in this mode."
Sounds literally perfect to me! Even disables the stuff I don't use
Old 01-08-22, 03:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Thats totally up to tires. Brakes don't make a difference provided they can lock the wheels at a given speed, anything past that is fade resistance and ability to brake evenly under any loading.
but that was exactly my point last time. a correct setup will have max brake for the tires. adding regen system shouldn't help to have better braking
Old 01-08-22, 03:50 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Here is a video of Model S Plaid on track lol.
Besides it almost crashing twice, it looks like it’s zero fun. He is wrestling with the car the whole time and the idiotic steering wheel really makes it harder to drive.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ture=emb_title

Last edited by RNM GS3; 01-08-22 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-08-22, 03:52 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Besides it almost crashing twice, it looks like it’s zero fun. He is wrestling with the car the whole time and the idiotic steering wheel really makes it harder to drive.

That without track mode. Let's see if it makes it more fun.
Old 01-08-22, 04:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but that was exactly my point last time. a correct setup will have max brake for the tires. adding regen system shouldn't help to have better braking
yeah, it will keep them working longer tho... also they probably worked a lot on how transition between regen and real brakes works on track, they could have changed a lot of what you feel and how brakes perform based on that.

It is still a very heavy car that is stupidly fast, probably a lot more predictable though.
Old 01-08-22, 04:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Eh, I argue my freaking Jeep would be fun on a track. Tracks are just fun period IMO
Old 01-08-22, 05:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

that car has some kind of custom mod to the stability/traction system which he said went nuts when the car became airborne. that video was pretty terrifying. and the second driver was terrible.

but yeah, the plaid is just way too huge and heavy to enjoy on a track.
Old 01-08-22, 05:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Eh, I argue my freaking Jeep would be fun on a track. Tracks are just fun period IMO
garbage truck, school bus?

no thanks.
Old 01-08-22, 05:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
garbage truck, school bus?

no thanks.
God that would be hilarious, fun for at least one time around
Old 01-09-22, 12:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, it will keep them working longer tho... also they probably worked a lot on how transition between regen and real brakes works on track, they could have changed a lot of what you feel and how brakes perform based on that.

It is still a very heavy car that is stupidly fast, probably a lot more predictable though.
yup no doubt it would help with thermo. i was addressing to some saying that stronger regen will help with stronger brakes in another thread
Old 01-09-22, 01:43 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Thank you for this review...I was considering a PLAID until all the reviews here on CL. Glad it's now what I envisioned it with Track mode. It will be on my short list again!
Old 01-09-22, 01:53 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Some more feedback from an owner

Looks like 0-60 performance suffers in Track Mode, may be related to cooling the battery (rather than heating it up) for better endurance:

https://youtu.be/sWgsO0JdzvI

Also, had some fun with Track Mode today, tried to make a perfect circle, not quite. Amazing it can pull almost 1G in any direction though (and the roads were a little wet).

Also, I tried to see what max regen was in terms of G-force. I could get up to 0.3G of deceleration just with regen. Feels a bit stronger than non-Track Mode but not much.

Finally, I earlier thought they'd turned on Creep Mode in Track Mode but it just disables regen below 5MPH so you'll coast if you don't hit the brake. Hold Mode is not activated unless you proactively touch the brakes. Another poster noted this may be to avoid automatic brake hold on overheated brake rotors.

Yeah stay away from "Drift Preset" (Stability at -10) unless you really know what you're doing if on the streets. The "Race Preset" (Stability of 0) gives you a little more wheel spin than standard non-Track Mode but is doable if the roads are dry. On my excursion I posted above, the roads were a little wet and wheels spun too much for comfort, so I added a custom setting "Race With Full Stability" with Stability at +10 and that worked great. Still able to pull up to 1G in all directions with that.

Last edited by Hameed; 01-09-22 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-09-22, 03:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i can't imagine the abuse of those electric motors on acceleration and regen with those hammering it in track mode.
Old 01-09-22, 03:32 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i can't imagine the abuse of those electric motors on acceleration and regen with those hammering it in track mode.
The motors on Tesla's are very reliable and basically bullet proof. The one component on Tesla's that you very rarely ever hear about failing, unlike the door handles on the S lol
Old 01-09-22, 03:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
The motors on Tesla's are very reliable and basically bullet proof. The one component on Tesla's that you very rarely ever hear about failing, unlike the door handles on the S lol
Unless you drive in heavy rain.....or it just stops working when parked. There are more failures than I would like to see on the Tesla forums for a device with only a few bearings in it as the only moving parts.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid