EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

ok folks let's keep to plaid s and related matters, thanks.
Old 01-13-22, 10:22 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Tesla Model S gets an aftermarket yoke replacement

Source
Old 01-13-22, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sadly, no air bag. Also, they kept the capacitive turn signal buttons which aren't great...rather they made some stalks. Very pricey too. Tesla should have a round steering wheel option...so dumb.
Old 01-13-22, 10:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla should have a round steering wheel option...so dumb.
People are retrofitting yolk wheels onto their Y's and 3's. Everyone I've seen with a Plaid doesn't like the wheel until they own the car and say they won't go back. I am a bit surprised there is no round aftermarket solution yet. Plus these wheel makers are not being smart they should make the wheel so you put the factory electronics into it.
Old 01-13-22, 10:55 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sadly, no air bag. Also, they kept the capacitive turn signal buttons which aren't great...rather they made some stalks. Very pricey too. Tesla should have a round steering wheel option...so dumb.
You also lose the heating function if you have the cold weather package. 👎
Old 01-13-22, 10:57 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
People are retrofitting yolk wheels onto their Y's and 3's. Everyone I've seen with a Plaid doesn't like the wheel until they own the car and say they won't go back. I am a bit surprised there is no round aftermarket solution yet. Plus these wheel makers are not being smart they should make the wheel so you put the factory electronics into it.
I'm not saying the Yolk is dumb per se...i'm saying the option to not have a steering wheel is dumb. Its such low hanging fruit to get more people to buy and easy to install at the factory. Just my opinion.
Old 01-13-22, 11:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm not saying the Yolk is dumb per se...i'm saying the option to not have a steering wheel is dumb. Its such low hanging fruit to get more people to buy and easy to install at the factory. Just my opinion.
You do know Tesla is famous for tons of options, colors and packages right? 🤪
Old 01-13-22, 11:03 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Comes down to a lack of competition. If there was a Plaid competitor with a round wheel etc. and they were buying that instead you can bet Tesla would change their tune.
Old 01-13-22, 11:03 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
You do know Tesla is famous for tons of options, colors and packages right? 🤪
Yes I know. This will fall on deaf ears.
Old 01-13-22, 12:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I like the original Tesla Plaid Yoke the best.
Old 01-13-22, 04:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

I wonder what the view through the top of that wheel would look like, does it block the gauges, etc?

$2,300 is a ton of money, but thats the only way I would buy a Plaid...
Old 01-13-22, 06:43 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I like the original Tesla Plaid Yoke the best.
I like the yoke (except when doing a 3 point turn) and I like carbon fiber more than anyone but there is no way I’m paying $3k for a new yoke or weird squarish steering wheel, good god. $1,500 is the max I would pay so regular yoke it is.
Old 01-13-22, 06:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I like the yoke (except when doing a 3 point turn) and I like carbon fiber more than anyone but there is no way I’m paying $3k for a new yoke or weird squarish steering wheel, good god. $1,500 is the max I would pay so regular yoke it is.
‘Eventually the steering systems are gonna go to some sort of steer by wire where a turn with a yoke is going to be very different than what it today. Toyota has a yoke coming and someway it will be all software and based on GPS and such so when you enter a curve or turn you need to use less effort compared to today. Will be like a joystick. Tesla will have it too. It be like some sort of super ration gear steering or,something.
Old 01-13-22, 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
People are retrofitting yolk wheels onto their Y's and 3's.
can't fix blind loyalty and stupidity.

Everyone I've seen with a Plaid doesn't like the wheel until they own the car and say they won't go back.
that's because a) they can't go back unless they sell the car, and b) if one like other aspects we can overlook or rationalize anything. many things i'd change in the LC500 but i can rationalize are ok because of many other things.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
$2,300 is a ton of money, but thats the only way I would buy a Plaid...
i'd put the likelihood of you in a plaid at very low.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
‘Eventually the steering systems are gonna go to some sort of steer by wire where a turn with a yoke is going to be very different than what it today. Toyota has a yoke coming and someway it will be all software and based on GPS and such so when you enter a curve or turn you need to use less effort compared to today. Will be like a joystick. Tesla will have it too. It be like some sort of super ration gear steering or,something.
not quite following, but steering is changing a lot. first off, rear steer is appearing on more high end cars, and makes a HUGE difference, even a couple of degrees.

my LC has rear steer plus toyota's patented VGRS or variable gear ration steering, and it is hands down the best steering i've ever experienced. so whatever it you're describing, it may already be here and more.

as i understand it the tesla steering is not variable ratio making the yoke awkward (what ratio or a yoke could possible work well at low speed and high speed?).
Old 01-13-22, 09:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can't fix blind loyalty and stupidity.
People that enjoy things you don't are not automatically blindly loyal and stupid. Show some tolerance instead of hating everything others like.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid