EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model S Plaid

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-22, 04:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
we have the tech now that would make fast cars safer. There is no reason to speed, so there is no doubt that a car that is driving in a 40mph zone should be locked out by gps in those zones, then when the car hits the highway, the speed should unlock to go 55mph. Haven’t driven the yoke Tesla, only the 3….I can’t wait to try it out. (But I’m more interested in the Toyota yoke version) obviously

And TBH, I am rather surprised Tesla hasn’t come out with automatic lane changing for the signal indicators. Perhaps it’s on the way.
Automatic lane changing has been there for a couple years now. FSD had this capability in 2019 available on all cars.

I don't think anyone wants governed speed. Majority Consumers don't want it as they would lose choice. Police don't want it as they would lose revenue. Manufacturers don't want it as performance sells. Doubt it will happen.
Old 01-15-22, 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

we have the tech now that would make fast cars safer. There is no reason to speed, so there is no doubt that a car that is driving in a 40mph zone should be locked out by gps in those zones, then when the car hits the highway, the speed should unlock to go 55mph. Haven’t driven the yoke Tesla, only the 3….I can’t wait to try it out. (But I’m more interested in the Toyota yoke version) obviously

And TBH, I am rather surprised Tesla hasn’t come out with automatic lane changing for the signal indicators. Perhaps it’s on the way.
The discussion of speed governing is totally off topic and has nothing to do with what it we’re talking about.

And the car does have automatic lane changing.
Old 01-15-22, 05:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Besides the yoke, another controversial design is the use of the screen to put the car in drive or reverse. To me this is stranger and less intuitive than the yoke but the yoke is what you use every second you drive the car. Using the screen to put the car in drive or reverse is strange. What makes it somewhat awkward is that to go forward you swipe up and for reverse you swipe down. This all makes sense except for the fact that your brain has been trained the opposite and people are used to pushing typical gear selectors forward to go in reverse and pulling a gear selector backwards to go forward. It takes a little while to get used to it and I’m still getting there.
Old 01-15-22, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Besides the yoke, another controversial design is the use of the screen to put the car in drive or reverse. To me this is stranger and less intuitive than the yoke but the yoke is what you use every second you drive the car. Using the screen to put the car in drive or reverse is strange. What makes it somewhat awkward is that to go forward you swipe up and for reverse you swipe down. This all makes sense except for the fact that your brain has been trained the opposite and people are used to pushing typical gear selectors forward to go in reverse and pulling a gear selector backwards to go forward. It takes a little while to get used to it and I’m still getting there.
‘Obviously I haven’t tried out the car. It it is interesting they do it on the screen. But you can just use the touch capacitor buttons?
Old 01-15-22, 05:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

‘Obviously I haven’t tried out the car. It it is interesting they do it on the screen. But you can just use the touch capacitor buttons?
The buttons are not that easy. You can’t see them at all and they are only there in case the screen doesn’t work. I’ve tried using them a couple times and it took a little while to get it to work. I was playing around with them today but couldn’t get those buttons to work so I just swiped.
Old 01-15-22, 05:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The buttons are not that easy..
‘That’s too bad. I am sure it would get better over time as new cars come out.
Old 01-15-22, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Agreed here too
Old 01-15-22, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He did, he was a hoot lol
i would not describe steve jobs as a hoot. did you read isaacson's biography? something beginning with 'a' and ending with 'hole' is more accurate, in his personal and professional life. he was an angry controlling narcissist. his passion for excellence and high quality is notable, but no doubt a nightmare to work with/for. jony ive was of like mind, so it worked.

And the car does have automatic lane changing.
i believe only with the $12K FSD option.

about the yoke, my issue with the turn signals is they're not even buttons, just haptic areas on there.

The buttons are not that easy. You can’t see them at all and they are only there in case the screen doesn’t work. I’ve tried using them a couple times and it took a little while to get it to work. I was playing around with them today but couldn’t get those buttons to work so I just swiped.
yup, in all reviews i've seen, those haptic shifting 'buttons' are completely unreliable.
Old 01-15-22, 08:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i would not describe steve jobs as a hoot. did you read isaacson's biography? something beginning with 'a' and ending with 'hole' is more accurate, in his personal and professional life. he was an angry controlling narcissist. his passion for excellence and high quality is notable, but no doubt a nightmare to work with/for. jony ive was of like mind, so it worked.
Ive read several biographies including that one. Both hoot, and a hole are both accurate lol

Most visionaries have many personal failings.
Old 01-16-22, 12:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Ive read several biographies including that one. Both hoot, and a hole are both accurate lol

Most visionaries have many personal failings.
One of my friends who worked for Apple at the time Jobs was alive told me you never wanted to find yourself in the same elevator with him. He told me he would randomly ask someone what they did, and if they hesitated or didn't answer to his his expectations, they could find themselves out of a job. On the other hand, he was a brilliant marketer. I'll give him that much
Old 01-16-22, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
One of my friends who worked for Apple at the time Jobs was alive told me you never wanted to find yourself in the same elevator with him. He told me he would randomly ask someone what they did, and if they hesitated or didn't answer to his his expectations, they could find themselves out of a job. On the other hand, he was a brilliant marketer. I'll give him that much
I have heard that too. People had no value to him, only what they could bring to what he was doing. He would famously fall out of interest with people too.
Old 01-16-22, 09:16 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah, those of us who know and have worked at the top Silicin Valley jobs know what tough people are at the top of these companies.
It has been said if you can make it in SEMI, you can make it anywhere. The execs play hardball. Cutthroat hardball business. I loved having a career here.
Old 01-23-22, 04:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Found out today, but the original model S, had a third row seat option. Learn something new every day. Was rear facing.
Old 01-23-22, 04:39 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

You also don't want to be in an elevator with him because he never took baths.

Old 01-23-22, 04:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Found out today, but the original model S, had a third row seat option. Learn something new every day. Was rear facing.
Yep, it did.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model S Plaid