EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-22 | 09:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
That doesn't surprise me. Tesla is more about tech than building high quality cars.
Can always buy a Toyota with perfect quality and tech from 2012.
Old 05-13-22 | 09:44 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Can always buy a Toyota with perfect quality and tech from 2012.
Actually, for me, a 2012 Camry would have perfect tech and quality on those were still pretty good.
Old 05-13-22 | 09:50 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Actually, for me, a 2012 Camry would have perfect tech and quality on those were still pretty good.
It is crazy to think the new Toyota Camry has Apple Car Play or Android Auto whereas it is still lacking in a Tesla
Old 05-13-22 | 09:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It is crazy to think the new Toyota Camry has Apple Car Play or Android Auto whereas it is still lacking in a Tesla
Tesla chooses not to implement Carplay or Android Auto because it wants to own the software interface. Its planning to monetize that interface through an App Store of its own.
Old 05-13-22 | 10:23 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
If ACP and AA is all that why does Toyota need their own software.
Old 05-13-22 | 12:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

A comparison between Model Y, Audi Q4 E-tron, and Volvo XC40 Recharge.

Old 05-13-22 | 12:45 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
A comparison between Model Y, Audi Q4 E-tron, and Volvo XC40 Recharge.

https://youtu.be/Yod8xtmWUX4
Spoiler: A guy who prefers a Tesla and decided to make a 20 minute video out of it.

I think the Volvo looks the best. Tesla's are just ugly from the back.
Old 05-13-22 | 01:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Spoiler: A guy who prefers a Tesla and decided to make a 20 minute video out of it.

CarWow has over 7M subs and is one of the largest car reviewing Youtube sites globally. I guess you don't know who Matt Watson is. Tesla Model Y tends to win more comparisons than it loses.
Old 05-13-22 | 01:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

CarWow is a completely legitimate and extremely well regarded source of vehicle reviews lol. He is not a Tesla fanboy.
Old 05-13-22 | 02:48 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Electric power is addicting. Effortless acceleration without any mechanical guilt (no engine roaring or transmissions shifting). Doesn't even hit the wallet as acceleration doesn't have much impact on range..air resistance is the biggest factor. I highly encourage people to test drive a Tesla.
"Mechanical guilt"? Really? Some of us like roaring engines . Not talking about 2.0ts lol. I'd go EV and take the plunge (lease, lol) before I'd be interested in some buzzy crap engine. I'm trying to come around on Teslas a bit, but I notice really, really bad panel gaps in almost every one I'm behind. I'm used to "L" flagship Lexus models so yeah I'm picky about that kind of stuff. Don't everyone jump down my throat. But if Musk would address some shortcomings Teslas would be even more desirable. They are everywhere around here, this was the second or third light out of my neighborhood just today, another red one. I really do like that red.

That said, I’ve been cruising around town when driving etc looking for high end apartments with chargers and there are not many at all, even at brand spanking new places (there’s a lot) that are $2,000 for a 1br. Downtown there are spots, but not many. This picture quality is awful but it was a cool shot.
Old 05-13-22 | 03:00 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by AJT123
"Mechanical guilt"? Really? Some of us like roaring engines . Not talking about 2.0ts lol. I'd go EV and take the plunge (lease, lol) before I'd be interested in some buzzy crap engine. I'm trying to come around on Teslas a bit, but I notice really, really bad panel gaps in almost every one I'm behind. I'm used to "L" flagship Lexus models so yeah I'm picky about that kind of stuff. Don't everyone jump down my throat. But if Musk would address some shortcomings Teslas would be even more desirable. They are everywhere around here, this was the second or third light out of my neighborhood just today, another red one. I really do like that red.

That said, I’ve been cruising around town when driving etc looking for high end apartments with chargers and there are not many at all, even at brand spanking new places (there’s a lot) that are $2,000 for a 1br. Downtown there are spots, but not many. This picture quality is awful but it was a cool shot.
That should be a crime.
Old 05-13-22 | 03:01 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123

Mechanical guilt meaning you can accelerate as hard as you can at every light and the powertrain doesn't really feel a thing. Slightly less range. Accelerating fast in an EV is almost meaningless in terms of mechanical stress..your tires probably go bald faster is all.

Also, Tesla quality may never meet your needs but other EVs will also have that effortless acceleration feeling. Toyota obviously makes sub-standard EVs now but try the new Nissan Ariya or Polestar 2. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, I was once surrounded by 4 red Model 3s...and i have a red model 3. We all looked at each and just sighed. Its a commodity car now
Old 05-13-22 | 03:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
new Nissan Ariya or Polestar 2.
Too expensive and overpriced for what you get. Polestar 2 styling is not great the price point
Old 05-13-22 | 03:09 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I agree, that’s a significant price delta but that’s comparing the base RWD 3 to the dual motor Long Range Y. In my mind I was comparing LR 3 vs LR Y.

We are also a family of three and, due to the seats being on risers, the Y actually has more second row legroom than a Model X! There is an absurd amount of toe space for you to jam your feet beneath so I can literally straighten my legs (I’m 5’9”) in the backseat of a Y but can’t do it in an X.

True, if you’re happier with RWD and the base 3 range is sufficient then I wouldn’t pay the extra ~$20k for the Y. However, I think it’s a fairer comparison between the LR 3 and LR Y. Too bad Tesla dropped the Standard Range Y but they did just announce the Standard Range Plus Y variant. It isn’t available for order just yet but isn’t a great value considering it has much less range for only a few thousand dollars in savings.

The rear seats of the 3 have improved and received thicker seat cushions and the angle of the rear seat backs isn’t as upright as they used to be, all contributing to greater backseat comfort than before. The 3’s Achilles is the lack of a hatch like the S, X, Y. It severely limits cargo capacity. The Y also has Bioweapon Defense Mode, which is basically an enormous HEPA filter that physically won’t fit in the 3. Not worth the extra $16k though.

Basically, there isn’t anything in the Tesla lineup to compare against the base RWD 3’s price point. It also doesn’t make sense to get a Long Range 3 as you’re better served by the Long Range Y.

I can’t remember if the 3’s rear seats fold down but the Y certainly does and people have camped in their Y. We haven’t slept overnight in the Y but it helps that the 2nd row seats recline a fair degree, similar to my parents’ RX, and is nice on long trips. We also like plugging in an electric cooler in the cargo area of the Y to keep food and drinks cold on trips. The Y also makes it easier to carry bikes on a hitch. But alas, if you already have an RX then the RWD 3 makes more sense. Our other car is a sedan so we wanted the Y to do everything because it would be the main commute/trip/activity vehicle.
Ughh, my old age is catching up with me, I thought it was the Long Range Model 3 at 46k. At 56k for the Long Range Model 3, its not so clear cut for us, since that brings the delta to the Model Y to only 8k. Which is still nothing to sneeze at. However, I wonder if it may still be worth it for us to get the base Model 3 for around town stuff, and use our gas cars for any long distance stuff. Lots of choices and decisions to be made. Thanks for clarifying and your input.
Old 05-13-22 | 03:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

That should be a crime.
Welcome to the South, now. At least any decent area of a generally nice city. People like to be and feel safe, the boom isn't slowing down here. Another McMansion neighborhood went up near my house that I couldn't for the life of me picture how'd they'd squeeze it in, well they did. Every single lot is sold, every half built house is sold.

Originally Posted by EZZ
Mechanical guilt meaning you can accelerate as hard as you can at every light and the powertrain doesn't really feel a thing. Slightly less range. Accelerating fast in an EV is almost meaningless in terms of mechanical stress..your tires probably go bald faster is all.
Both of my cars do that and will repeatedly until they run out of gas. But they're both quick and powerful (not Tesla quick) and sound great-- very pleasant, refined and potent, dare I say legendary ICE engines. But yes, I see your point. I don't feel guilty though when I rag my truck out because it was meant to be tortured, I don't think the powertrain cares one bit lol. That said, an UNDERPOWERED car is a miserable thing.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y