EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22 | 10:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Of course, but I promise you it has become insane here. Literally we have made a 100% return in 5 years on our house. A nice (but not nicest) 1 bedroom apartment was $800 something when we moved back from CA (just temporary while we found a house) and now that same apartment is $1500. But this isn't about here.

I keep looking for chargers at these brand new high end places in spare time. These top of the line apartments should provide charging stations....but what do ya know :clears throat:, looks like landlords aren't paying for them. I'm going to keep looking. I absolutely think these places should have chargers but I don't blame companies not paying for them...apartments are greedy as hell.
They are definitely installing them on all the newer apartment and Condo complexes here in Northern Cal. They are really not that expensive, around $600 for a good Level 2 charger (I just ordered one) and an available 240v circuit. If someone is paying $3500 to $4000 a month, the cost of the charger is paid off the first months rent
Old 05-15-22 | 10:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They are definitely installing them on all the newer apartment and Condo complexes here in Northern Cal. They are really not that expensive, around $600 for a good Level 2 charger (I just ordered one) and an available 240v circuit. If someone is paying $3500 to $4000 a month, the cost of the charger is paid off the first months rent
I'll keep looking around. I, too, am surprised they aren't there in high end apartments. Not even just a small dedicated space.
Old 05-15-22 | 10:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'll keep looking around. I, too, am surprised they aren't there in high end apartments. Not even just a small dedicated space.
It's probably demand. Here EV adoption is high, so people demand charging. But if you go to an area like Modesto, Visalia, Bakersfield etc where adoption is low, there would be no reason to install charging for tenants
Old 05-15-22 | 10:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

It's probably demand. Here EV adoption is high, so people demand charging. But if you go to an area like Modesto, Visalia, Bakersfield etc where adoption is low, there would be no reason to install charging for tenants
Oh there are Teslas everywhere around here. Tons of them.
Old 05-15-22 | 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s demand. When it makes financial sense to install them, places install them.
Old 05-15-22 | 11:06 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Oh there are Teslas everywhere around here. Tons of them.
Maybe not enough Tesla owners that are renting to justify adding charging? Also landlords from different regions may have different priorities
Old 05-15-22 | 11:46 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s demand. When it makes financial sense to install them, places install them.
These places offer everything but the kitchen sink, they are super high end, catered to Millenial crowd. I am very surprised they don't offer these as incentive. Some you can't smoke anywhere on the property, I saw this one chick smoking outside the gate at one place. I'm just saying, a place right off the lake that's so nice and "hip" that you are forbidden to smoke anywhere on the property I would think would provide chargers.

There are tonnnnns of Teslas around here, but they're all in garages in everyone's houses.

Maybe not enough Tesla owners that are renting to justify adding charging? Also landlords from different regions may have different priorities
I'm just saying, you would think these hip, new, state of the art apartments would offer a charging space or two. This is one of the places I scouted, it is unbelievably nice. First place is right off the lake. 2 grand for 1 bedrooms. The second link is also incredibly nice. I had to follow someone in to beat the gate at the first place.

https://www.villageatwestland.com/floorplans

https://aventinenorthshore.com/floor...rch--price=all

Last edited by AJT123; 05-15-22 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-15-22 | 12:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

These places offer everything but the kitchen sink, they are super high end, catered to Millenial crowd. I am very surprised they don't offer these as incentive. Some you can't smoke anywhere on the property, I saw this one chick smoking outside the gate at one place. I'm just saying, a place right off the lake that's so nice and "hip" that you are forbidden to smoke anywhere on the property I would think would provide chargers.

There are tonnnnns of Teslas around here, but they're all in garages in everyone's houses.

I'm just saying, you would think these hip, new, state of the art apartments would offer a charging space or two. This is one of the places I scouted, it is unbelievably nice. First place is right off the lake. 2 grand for 1 bedrooms. The second link is also incredibly nice. I had to follow someone in to beat the gate at the first place.

https://www.villageatwestland.com/floorplans

https://aventinenorthshore.com/floor...rch--price=all
Wow, $2000 a month. People here rent out their converted garages for more than that! The problem here is classic supply and demand... more demand than supply. Same problem with houses. Free market at work doing it's stuff...
Old 05-15-22 | 12:32 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, $2000 a month. People here rent out their converted garages for more than that! The problem here is classic supply and demand... more demand than supply. Same problem with houses. Free market at work doing it's stuff...
Cost of living seems way cheaper out there. $2k per month is like an outhouse in SF. It's a 1 bedroom in middle class older neighborhood in so-cal. I know people that rent out a small apartment for like $6k a month in SF. Probably doesn't even come with a charger
Old 05-15-22 | 12:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Cost of living seems way cheaper out there. $2k per month is like an outhouse in SF. It's a 1 bedroom in middle class older neighborhood in so-cal. I know people that rent out a small apartment for like $6k a month in SF. Probably doesn't even come with a charger
SF is just ridiculous, TBH I don't know why anyone would want to live out there and pay all that money in that ****ty city. If you live in one of the highrises, chances are you have chargers. If you live in one of the older neighborhoods where the garage just barely fits a bike than you 100 percent won't have a charger. My cousin lived in a highrise near AT&T park, $4000 a month. When we were walking out of the building she told us to watch where we were walking...her exact words: "if it's brown, walk around" LOL
Old 05-15-22 | 01:05 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Isn't SF the most densely populated major cities in the country? Even if you could have a 3 bedroom apartment for $800 a month, no chance I'd want to live on top of everyone else.

We do have a trip planned this summer though. One of the cities we've always wanted to visit.
Old 05-15-22 | 01:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Here in Brooklyn if you want a house with two car garage, you're looking at $3-5k million house in Manhattan Beach or Bay Ridge. Middle/upper middle class neighborhoods, you lucky if you have a non shared driveway in a $800-1.5m house, or a garage that is too small to be used to park the car, most people use them for storage.
Old 05-15-22 | 01:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Isn't SF the most densely populated major cities in the country? Even if you could have a 3 bedroom apartment for $800 a month, no chance I'd want to live on top of everyone else.

We do have a trip planned this summer though. One of the cities we've always wanted to visit.
Yes, very densely populated, problem is it's 7 square miles. By all means, it's a great city to visit. The Golden Gate and Bay bridges are just amazing, and it has a lot of history, like Fishermans Warf, Alcatraz. Plus Clint Eastwood filmed all his Dirty Harry movies there. For a visit, SF is great, I just wouldn't want to live there. Also if you do visit, never, ever leave anything in your car. Nothing, not even a plastic bag that looks like it has something in it
Old 05-15-22 | 01:14 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Here in Brooklyn if you want a house with two car garage, you're looking at $3-5k million house in Manhattan Beach or Bay Ridge. Middle/upper middle class neighborhoods, you lucky if you have a non shared driveway in a $800-1.5m house, or a garage that is too small to be used to park the car, most people use them for storage.
Sounds like San Francisco's twin brother....except it doesn't get freezing weather, although it does get pretty cold due to the wind from the SF Bay
Old 05-15-22 | 02:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Of course it’s cheaper….duh, San Francisco are you kidding me? But for non elite coastal cities, 2 grand for a 1 bedroom is a lot. I never said Knoxville is SF. The thing is that years ago it used to be “cheap” to live here. For you from CA I’m sure it still would be but, no, for the area it’s been on fire….it’s not so cheap here anymore. The real estate market has roughly doubled in 5 years. I found one place downtown that has a few spots, will keep looking for more.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y