EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 10:33 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
You can upgrade the leather to buttery smooth kind in many BMWs, with Tesla you are stuck with the awful everything. Again, its fine for the 3/Y, but they are losing potential S/X sales to other brands.
Tesla is never going to have leather, they went out of their way to remove the bits of it that were in some components like steering wheel I believe. If you want to look at it cynically, it's much easier to embrace elimination of animal products as part of your brand than it is to try to match the strengths of other brands on features you don't value. I don't value leather vs. current level of quality in synthetics so I agree with Tesla's stance no matter the motivation.
Awful is in the eye of the beholder I guess. If I could copy our Model 3 interior into the GL I'd do it in a second.
Originally Posted by rogerh00
Interesting review. I really like the rear view camera with split side views that can stay on. I hadn't seen that before.
It's much better than just a backup camera, especially when you're pulling up to a curb or backing in. This was another little feature they added with an OTA update. It still Isn't as good as an actual 360° top down view, though. I can park the GL more easily in 99% of cases if I'm doing it without the assist functions.

Last edited by sg021; 07-02-21 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 01:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Leather sucks anyway it dries, cracks, can't take spills well. And it is horribly unsustainable the amount of water alone required to produce 1 car interior is ridiculous. First attempts at pleather were not exactly desirable but now I actually prefer synthetic.
Old 07-02-21, 01:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Leather sucks anyway it dries, cracks, can't take spills well. And it is horribly unsustainable the amount of water alone required to produce 1 car interior is ridiculous. First attempts at pleather were not exactly desirable but now I actually prefer synthetic.
Real leather doesn’t suck at all. You just have to care for it.
Old 07-02-21, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Real leather doesn’t suck at all. You just have to care for it.
I agree. Even with minimal care leather will last a long time.
Old 07-02-21, 01:42 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I thought NuLuxe was better than the standard Lexus leather. Didn't even have creases when I sold it at 60k miles.
Old 07-02-21, 01:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
What a silly observation. What if they were there just topping their car off while they shop?
Thanks. i should have taken a picture but i'll try to clarify. First, the charging stations were nowhere close to actual shops except a whole foods and it was 90 degrees, humid, and raining off and on. There was also a restaurant a walk away so i guess they could have been eating.

it's just a different mindset. I'm obviously not in the mindset to coordinate 'topping off' charging while shopping or eating.

I've never actually had to pay for that electricity as I have free Supercharging with referrals like most of the other people i know.
good for you, but obviously that doesn't scale. Not every buyer will have enough referrals to have 'free' supercharging.

Its just as silly as pointing out that you've spent way more time refueling your car overall than me charging my car overnight. Takes me 10 seconds to plug and unplug once every 3 days...so my total refuel effort is 20 minutes a year (with 0 zero cost).
It's 0 cost for YOU because you spent tens of thousands on a solar installation, so hardly a full disclosure.

If i get solar, get a tesla, i'm sure i'd feel similarly to you.

Old 07-02-21, 01:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

It's 0 cost for YOU because you spent tens of thousands on a solar installation, so hardly a full disclosure.

If i get solar, get a tesla, i'm sure i'd feel similarly to you.
What’s tens of thousands mean? Like 20-30 grand?
Old 07-02-21, 01:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. Even with minimal care leather will last a long time.
There is also different quality of leathers as well.
Old 07-02-21, 02:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

For me solar is still too expensive, I got another quote just for informational purposes and so I could tell all the pesky telemarketers that I already have a quote. For me after subsidies it was still around $40k and I don’t live in a huge house. The payback period based on savings is too long for me.
Old 07-02-21, 02:22 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Probably around $30k but its 30% off so about $20k. My electric bill was $300 a month. So 5 year payback isn't bad. Solar in So Cal is cheaper because we don't need as many panels due to year round sun so ROI is high on solar here.
Old 07-02-21, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
For me solar is still too expensive, I got another quote just for informational purposes and so I could tell all the pesky telemarketers that I already have a quote. For me after subsidies it was still around $40k and I don’t live in a huge house. The payback period based on savings is too long for me.
Seams like a hassle. They also don’t last forever either. I have no interest in solar panels.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-02-21 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-03-21, 06:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I was in a nearby city yesterday and in this nice shopping center there was a row of tesla charging stations, most occupied with teslas, all charging. No one in them. I wonder how long they had to wait. I re-fueled my car in 5 minutes for another 400mi.
Come on Paul.... You like to mention this quite a bit when you also know that overall time spent at a supercharger (when you're on a trip) is much less than you would spend refuelling your car in a year. That's the point EZZ is making below, but you zeroed in on the cost part which is not relevant to most owners anyway. 😀

Its just as silly as pointing out that you've spent way more time refueling your car overall than me charging my car overnight. Takes me 10 seconds to plug and unplug once every 3 days...so my total refuel effort is 20 minutes a year
And yes you're absolutely right , spending time at a supercharger while on a trip is definitely not for everyone. It's a mindset as you pointed out.
Old 07-03-21, 11:06 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Come on Paul.... when you also know that overall time spent at a supercharger (when you're on a trip) is much less than you would spend refuelling your car in a year.

It all depends on the trip. My trip from Florida to NY requires 9 hrs of charging time. According to a better routeplanner. There is no way I could possibly endure that. In this case, from what I've read most would take an ICE car on a trip and have an EV as a second or third car for fun and giggles.
Old 07-03-21, 01:06 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
It all depends on the trip. My trip from Florida to NY requires 9 hrs of charging time. According to a better routeplanner. There is no way I could possibly endure that. In this case, from what I've read most would take an ICE car on a trip and have an EV as a second or third car for fun and giggles.
With a 250 mile range EV, it's 5 hours. No idea what range BEV you're referring to. And in those 5 hours, unless you're a robot that does not need to use the washroom, coffee and eat (forget about even stretching your legs) that 5 hours drops to half.

Once you've made up your mind it's not going to work for you, it doesn't really matter what anyone says to reason with you, it still won't make a lot sense for a lot of people, and that's perfectly fine too.
Old 07-03-21, 01:25 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad they didn’t test the current build Model Y. You can tell it’s an older version because it doesn’t have the updated center console.

I recently took delivery of a Model Y performance. Absolutely love it. Ended up giving my 2019 450H F-Sport to my sister.

Looking forward to seeing what EVs Lexus will eventually bring to market.

​​​​​​Tesla Model Y-p3fekgf.jpg

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y