EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That interior is a joke. I'd laugh every time I got into that thing.
Yes, not for me either. The only thing i think looks good is the wood strip.

Old 07-04-21, 09:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Don't get why there's no shade for the gigantic glass roof either. Not everyone lives in northern california.
Old 07-04-21, 09:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

I like the screen and the chargers. I don’t like the idea that there is no speedometer. I don’t care for the wood strip either
Old 07-04-21, 09:45 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Especially when it's not full self driving, lol.

It adds highway navigation "self driving"* - meaning it knows where to exit and will do so, parking lot "summon" (which i sure as hell wouldn't trust and given how slow it moves i could walk there and back to the car 3 times), and a few other features.

* - you still have to keep your hands on the wheel anyway.

I don't think it's $10K worth of value and I bet the take rate isn't that high.
I used to think I would want full self driving but for $10k, no way. At $5k it’s a bit more compelling for me because it is pretty cool.
Old 07-04-21, 10:22 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congratulations! Looks good in that pic. The new dark side trim (instead of the old chrome) looks better and it looks like you have windows tinted (?).
Haven't checked out this forum in a while but nice to see some of the old school members here. I still remember joining this forum when I got my 2nd gen GS 300 way back in the day. Have fond memories of that car and my 3rd gen GS 430.

Yeah, the chrome delete straight from the factory is nice. And yes, I got the windows tinted.

It's interesting to see the polarizing reactions some people have towards EVs. I agree that they don't fit into everyone's lifestyle and needs. Especially if you don't have a home charger. But I can say that my experience with Tesla has been great. Got my Model S in 2016 and the only repair/maintenance costs I incurred were for tire changes and replacing the wipers. The car was remarkably trouble free. Did multiple road trips from Los Angeles to the Bay Area and never had charging issues, although I wished it had longer range (had 230 mile range with a full battery).

I was originally interested in replacing the S with a Taycan or refreshed long range Model S. Although the base Taycan starts at $80k, with a few options it's well north of $100k. And it's slow with just the single motor. Also test drove the Mach E and the performance was underwhelming. Want to test drive the GT version when it's available though.

The long range S had a delivery estimate of November which was a bit longer than I wanted to wait. I tested the long range Model Y and really liked it. But drove the performance version afterwards and loved it.

Of course the Y isn't perfect. I'm used to the single display layout but would love to a HUD to quickly see my speed. Would like a few more physical buttons to easily change things like the AC. But pretty much everything is controlled by the touchscreen unit. I don't mind the minimalistic interior layout but completely understand how others might not like it. And the overall ordering/delivery process from Tesla still needs a lot of work. Especially during the end of quarter rushes.

But at the end of the day, my Model Y performance is just plain fun to drive. Yes, the 3.5 sec 0-60 is overkill, but man is it enjoyable, I can't imagine what the Plaid must feel like when launching.

Just thought I'd share my experiences. We're all car enthusiasts and I still love hearing/learning about other cars.

Well, I do get a big smile every time I hit the accelerator.

​​​​​​
Don't get why there's no shade for the gigantic glass roof either. Not everyone lives in northern california.
I was concerned about this, but it hasn't been an issue at all. My kids love the view from the backseat. I know some owners in really hot climates like AZ or TX have actually tinted the roof. There are also 3rd party sunshades available.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Hameed
Do you live in an apartment/condo? If you do, then it makes sense to not get any EV, much less a low quality, interior that makes one laugh - Tesla.

I have only one car and it's an EV, a Model S and I have a garage with my house that I charge it in.
Yeah, I'd definitely be hesitant buying an EV if I didn't have a home charger. Would be so inconvenient.

Last edited by INHOCJP; 07-04-21 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 02:04 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I just looked up the Canadian spec Y. $69,990. Definitely not a $69k interior
That $69k is paying for a state-of-the-art EV drivetrain and the insane levels of software engineering/coding, period. It's as simple as that.

​​​​​​​
I think your household though has another vehicle, right?
My younger son i (last year of college) inherited the rusted, very high mileage Civic hybrid which is collecting dust as he's been stuck at home (remote learning) because of the pandemic. Neither I or my wife use the car.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-04-21, 02:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The interior is beyond a joke, it looks industrial and nasty. It's 2021, are people still being amused by screens?
Old 07-04-21, 02:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
It's 2021, are people still being amused by screens?
You must hate this with a passion.
Name:  L0QuZQd.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  82.9 KB
Old 07-04-21, 02:57 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^ I don't love the screens, but the rest of the interior is well made using premium materials. And the screens are not just a giant tabled tacked on in the middle of the dash.
Old 07-04-21, 03:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You must hate this with a passion.

Because they're so similar.

one looks like Harrods and the other looks like Walmart.
Old 07-07-21, 12:57 PM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you live in an apartment/condo? If you do, then it makes sense to not get any EV, much less a low quality, interior that makes one laugh - Tesla.

I have only one car and it's an EV, a Model S and I have a garage with my house that I charge it in.
In many states, including California, with more coming on board, by law a landlord must allow a tenant to install EV charging equipment for his/her vehicle.. In my building a tenant has done that for his Tesla , in his space in the underground parking garage. It's not cheap, but can be done. A previous Tesla owner plugged his car into an existing 110V socket at his parking spot. I don't know how well that worked for his driving needs.
Old 07-07-21, 02:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

That $69k is paying for a state-of-the-art EV drivetrain and the insane levels of software engineering/coding, period. It's as simple as that.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Thanks, I'm aware. Still not a valid excuse for these pitiful interiors. I'd rather my $70k+ go toward an E450
Old 07-08-21, 06:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks, I'm aware. Still not a valid excuse for these pitiful interiors. I'd rather my $70k+ go toward an E450
It's definitely not an "excuse", on the contrary - its the reason for the less than "premium" look/feel is what I'm pointing out.
Old 07-08-21, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Because they're so similar.

one looks like Harrods and the other looks like Walmart.

Walmart wouldn't have used that nice realistic-looking wood-tone strip across the dash......arguably the best feature of any Tesla interior.

BTW....I saw a Tesla cartoon the other day that I liked. Here it is.

Old 07-09-21, 12:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Why would you pay $70k for Model Y? It is like $53k vehicle.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y