EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla Model Y

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-22, 05:36 PM
nicedude
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two years later: two accidents and one battery replacement.

Personally will most likely still go through with my Model Y order.

Not sure how long I will keep it.
Old 05-12-22, 09:15 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nicedude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2K...ist=WL&index=3

Two years later: two accidents and one battery replacement.

Personally will most likely still go through with my Model Y order.

Not sure how long I will keep it.
Have you considered the Model 3? We looked at both and weren't sure if we wanted to pay the price delta for what you gain in the Model Y.
Old 05-12-22, 09:58 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Have you considered the Model 3? We looked at both and weren't sure if we wanted to pay the price delta for what you gain in the Model Y.
I hadn’t checked prices in a while and our 2021 Long Range Y was less than what a new Long Range 3 costs today.

For primary use I would still pay the premium for the Y over a 3 today. The Y can do it all, carrying people and pets in greater comfort than a 3 or filling up with cargo or light towing. We still hold onto our 2006 ES 330 because I work from home now and we literally only drive the ES 5% of the time (based on annual mileage on both cars). If we replace the ES then I would consider a 3, but only as a secondary car. *Realistically I would prefer a used S/X/Y as a secondary car over a new 3.

For primary family duty the Y serves us better than my previous Model S, let alone a Model 3. Wife never drove my S but takes my Y every chance she can. The Y is a great balance of comfort, range, features, and size. So instead of seeing the extra cost over a 3, I look at the Y as a discounted S experience. I loved my Model S but surprisingly the only thing I miss not having in the Y is the dual screens. So yes, I would easily pick a Y over the 3 at today’s price. The Y is more expensive but still a better value IMO than what the 3 offers for $56K.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 05-12-22 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 10:41 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I hadn’t checked prices in a while and our 2021 Long Range Y was less than what a new Long Range 3 costs today.

For primary use I would still pay the premium for the Y over a 3 today. The Y can do it all, carrying people and pets in greater comfort than a 3 or filling up with cargo or light towing. We still hold onto our 2006 ES 330 because I work from home now and we literally only drive the ES 5% of the time (based on annual mileage on both cars). If we replace the ES then I would consider a 3, but only as a secondary car. *Realistically I would prefer a used S/X/Y as a secondary car over a new 3.

For primary family duty the Y serves us better than my previous Model S, let alone a Model 3. Wife never drove my S but takes my Y every chance she can. The Y is a great balance of comfort, range, features, and size. So instead of seeing the extra cost over a 3, I look at the Y as a discounted S experience. I loved my Model S but surprisingly the only thing I miss not having in the Y is the dual screens. So yes, I would easily pick a Y over the 3 at today’s price. The Y is more expensive but still a better value IMO than what the 3 offers for $56K.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

We have a small family of three, and currently have a 2020 RX. So naturally we considered the Model Y when first looking, but after sitting in both and seeing that the 3 seemed to have pretty good amount of luggage space for our needs, I didn't see why we needed to pay more for the 3. The wife, who will be the primary driver, prefers the Y because its taller, but besides that, I don't see what the Y does that the 3 cannot. Though I don't have the specs, upon first glance, interior cabin spaced of the Y didn't feel that much bigger to us.

The prices I saw were 46k for the Model 3 long range and 62k for the Model Y long range. That's a pretty big difference to us.
Old 05-12-22, 11:11 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply.

We have a small family of three, and currently have a 2020 RX. So naturally we considered the Model Y when first looking, but after sitting in both and seeing that the 3 seemed to have pretty good amount of luggage space for our needs, I didn't see why we needed to pay more for the 3. The wife, who will be the primary driver, prefers the Y because its taller, but besides that, I don't see what the Y does that the 3 cannot. Though I don't have the specs, upon first glance, interior cabin spaced of the Y didn't feel that much bigger to us.

The prices I saw were 46k for the Model 3 long range and 62k for the Model Y long range. That's a pretty big difference to us.
I agree, that’s a significant price delta but that’s comparing the base RWD 3 to the dual motor Long Range Y. In my mind I was comparing LR 3 vs LR Y.

We are also a family of three and, due to the seats being on risers, the Y actually has more second row legroom than a Model X! There is an absurd amount of toe space for you to jam your feet beneath so I can literally straighten my legs (I’m 5’9”) in the backseat of a Y but can’t do it in an X.

True, if you’re happier with RWD and the base 3 range is sufficient then I wouldn’t pay the extra ~$20k for the Y. However, I think it’s a fairer comparison between the LR 3 and LR Y. Too bad Tesla dropped the Standard Range Y but they did just announce the Standard Range Plus Y variant. It isn’t available for order just yet but isn’t a great value considering it has much less range for only a few thousand dollars in savings.

The rear seats of the 3 have improved and received thicker seat cushions and the angle of the rear seat backs isn’t as upright as they used to be, all contributing to greater backseat comfort than before. The 3’s Achilles is the lack of a hatch like the S, X, Y. It severely limits cargo capacity. The Y also has Bioweapon Defense Mode, which is basically an enormous HEPA filter that physically won’t fit in the 3. Not worth the extra $16k though.

Basically, there isn’t anything in the Tesla lineup to compare against the base RWD 3’s price point. It also doesn’t make sense to get a Long Range 3 as you’re better served by the Long Range Y.

I can’t remember if the 3’s rear seats fold down but the Y certainly does and people have camped in their Y. We haven’t slept overnight in the Y but it helps that the 2nd row seats recline a fair degree, similar to my parents’ RX, and is nice on long trips. We also like plugging in an electric cooler in the cargo area of the Y to keep food and drinks cold on trips. The Y also makes it easier to carry bikes on a hitch. But alas, if you already have an RX then the RWD 3 makes more sense. Our other car is a sedan so we wanted the Y to do everything because it would be the main commute/trip/activity vehicle.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 05-12-22 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-13-22, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

For me, if we got a Tesla it would be to replace the van, so we would get a Model Y. Thats one of our vehicle plan options actually, get a 3 row SUV for me like a LWB Range Rover or an X7 or a GLS or something, and get a 3 row Model Y for my wife. Then we would just drive my vehicle on trips instead of hers. A Tesla would be perfect for her. Wouldn't even need to be the Long Range.
Old 05-13-22, 08:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

We have a small family of three, and currently have a 2020 RX. So naturally we considered the Model Y when first looking, but after sitting in both and seeing that the 3 seemed to have pretty good amount of luggage space for our needs.
The 3 by just looking at it seems roomy. It's sort of a tall car. The Model 3 is by farrrr the most popular Tesla around here, but what sort of puzzles me is that 90% of them are white. I still think it's janky that Tesla (or anyone) charges for red paint but I saw one and it looked amazing, the shade of red. I'd be thrown in jail in 30 minutes with a car that fast and that red, lol.
Old 05-13-22, 09:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
The 3 by just looking at it seems roomy. It's sort of a tall car. The Model 3 is by farrrr the most popular Tesla around here, but what sort of puzzles me is that 90% of them are white. I still think it's janky that Tesla (or anyone) charges for red paint but I saw one and it looked amazing, the shade of red. I'd be thrown in jail in 30 minutes with a car that fast and that red, lol.
Its roomy because EVs are packaged better than ICE due to lack of engine in front. It probably has more interior volume than a GS in terms of overall legroom (GS is wider though). 90% of them are white because that color is free. I paid for the Red and since its a Performance it has the red calipers. I have a permanently mounted rader detector and a Waze setup in the car so that helps. Still have a couple tickets though.
Old 05-13-22, 09:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Still have a couple tickets though.
Given how you drive the fact you're still a free man is a miracle. In all seriousness it's possible to drive fast and responsibly at the same time.
Old 05-13-22, 09:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Given how you drive the fact you're still a free man is a miracle. In all seriousness it's possible to drive fast and responsibly at the same time.
Electric power is addicting. Effortless acceleration without any mechanical guilt (no engine roaring or transmissions shifting). Doesn't even hit the wallet as acceleration doesn't have much impact on range..air resistance is the biggest factor. I highly encourage people to test drive a Tesla.
Old 05-13-22, 09:15 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Electric power is addicting. Effortless acceleration without any mechanical guilt (no engine roaring or transmissions shifting). Doesn't even hit the wallet as acceleration doesn't have much impact on range..air resistance is the biggest factor. I highly encourage people to test drive a Tesla.
I will once they produce some models without a 20 inch tablet
Old 05-13-22, 09:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
There are aftermarket options for driver cluster

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rument+cluster
Old 05-13-22, 09:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
I have driven one. (the screen in the centre is indeed interesting) The speed is exciting. but build quality is bad. Wind and road noise is bad. No sunshade. or sun roof. and no speedometer in front of the driver
Old 05-13-22, 09:34 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K
There are aftermarket options for driver cluster

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...rument+cluster
All these options add a screen. I don't want another if I have a big 20 inch tablet dominating the entire cabin. Lol
Old 05-13-22, 09:35 AM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have driven one. (the screen in the centre is indeed interesting) The speed is exciting. but build quality is bad. Wind and road noise is bad. No sunshade. or sun roof. and no speedometer in front of the driver
That doesn't surprise me. Tesla is more about tech than building high quality cars.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model Y