EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 12:23 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Agree on all points. As they say, you can never underestimate the end user. and speaking of dumb, "auto pilot" is a dumb enough name, but what's more outrageous is naming a now TEN THOUSAND dollar package "full self driving" when it's nothing of the sort, sold as some kind of future promise of this ability. This has now been sold for what, half a decade or more, raking in millions of dollar and only delivering a fraction of what's been promised (remember turning your car into part of a fleet of robo taxis and making money with it? ).

the tesla 'self driving' capabilities ARE remarkable, as far as they go. what's wrong is how it was sold and hyped, to keep tesla afloat. It might not be a stretch to say that without the fsd hype and false promises, tesla might have gone under. It does constitute deception IMO.

Again, it IS great tech, but it does not meet its claims or promises and of course there's the usual weasel legalese fine print to avoid lawsuits.
Agreed with all of this as it's pretty much what I said earlier.

However the impression/assumption Tesla would have gone under if not for selling "FSD" can't be further from the truth lol.
Old 08-07-21, 12:38 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

Tesla doesn't actually report all the FSD charges as revenue, it is treated as deferred revenue and booked over time as features are released. Revenue for other things like supercharger access and internet costs are also deferred and are recognized linearly over time. These obligations are reflected on the balance sheet as a liability. Tesla was sat on roughly $2bn in deferred revenue from these things as of December 2020.
Old 08-07-21, 12:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the tesla 'self driving' capabilities ARE remarkable, as far as they go. what's wrong is how it was sold and hyped, to keep tesla afloat. It might not be a stretch to say that without the fsd hype and false promises, tesla might have gone under. It does constitute deception IMO.
I think this is absolute nonsense. What almost killed Tesla was their inability to scale up production fast enough. Yes Tesla did some final assembly and PDI in "tents" but without them Tesla would have literally run out of cash and probably gone under. Zero to do with FSD.
Old 08-07-21, 01:38 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, convenience often has its price. Only, in this case, despite the hype from Tesla, this technology is not yet proven. I certainly wouldn't trust it with my life.

Let along all the other drivers as well.........Light aircraft on autopilot, you still have to pay attention....For most drivers couldn't get a pilots license let along a ifr certication....
Old 08-07-21, 01:44 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, convenience often has its price. Only, in this case, despite the hype from Tesla, this technology is not yet proven. I certainly wouldn't trust it with my life.
This is poor form on several levels. Tesla makes the safest cars on the road, lowest incident of injury of any auto maker. You wouldn't trust your life with the safest car? Why? Plus you posted a picture without any context. Be better.
Old 08-07-21, 01:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL, watched this video, the FSD behavior is just horrible.

Old 08-07-21, 01:54 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

This thread is about the ''full self driving technology that Tesla offers not about how safe the vehicle is....btw, .my son & daughter inlaw have a X
Old 08-07-21, 02:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I saw that too but why go to the media if it was the drivers fault at the end of the day? I don’t own a Tesla so maybe I don’t understand why he couldn’t use some muscle and override the steering.
If you pay attention, it takes no effort to override autopilot. People should just use Autopilot on the interstate highways. In other situations, it's less reliable.
Old 08-07-21, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, watched this video, the FSD behavior is just horrible.

https://youtu.be/GlIdu7prsAw
at 2:15sec. They geek out. “Brake lights are so cool”.
Old 08-07-21, 03:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

FSD beta became worse when it moved to vision only but quickly improved and is now better than the sensor fusion version. Watch more vids from the same channel it's easy to see the progress.
Old 08-07-21, 03:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
at 2:15sec. They geek out. “Brake lights are so cool”.
I thought the bush part was hilarious, lol.
Old 08-07-21, 05:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I thought the bush part was hilarious, lol.
Yeah, just saw it. The car is scratching itself on the bushes.
Old 08-07-21, 05:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yeah, just saw it. The car is scratching itself on the bushes.
I guess it is a self driving car after all - it drives itself into the bush.
Old 08-07-21, 06:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Old news, but NHTSA instructed Tesla to stop claiming their vehicles are the safest.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...are-the-safest
Old 08-07-21, 06:40 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Old news, but NHTSA instructed Tesla to stop claiming their vehicles are the safest.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...are-the-safest
In my experience, Tesla's automatic braking and collision warning and avoidance are excellent. The system sometimes brakes before I do in a panic situation and has saved my bacon. It does score higher than any car in that class on the safety tests per the article.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion