EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-21, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
A cynical, largely hateful way of looking at Elon Musk. Admiring someone for their technical prowess, persistence, general knowledge, worth ethic and more doesn't make me a cult member. Well to you it does.
don't take my word for it... lol

The interest in Musk and his personality is Tesla’s most significant marketing asset.
Elon Musk’s Cult of Personality Obscures Some Harsh Truths | by Mitchell | DataDrivenInvestor
great article showing his endless broken promises among other things.

Also I'd like to know what you are trying to accomplish by calling people cultists. Does that make you feel better about yourself?
didn't call you anything, and nothing to do with me. now these crackheads... yeah, cultists.

Old 08-16-21, 10:39 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

NHTSA is finally investigating Teslas self driving system because of crashes when with emergency vehicles. Hopefully they ban this nonsense or at least scrutinize it.

https://electrek.co/2021/08/16/tesla...KyPwc_0tZIr658
Old 08-16-21, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
NHTSA is finally investigating Teslas self driving system because of crashes when with emergency vehicles. Hopefully they ban this nonsense or at least scrutinize it.

https://electrek.co/2021/08/16/tesla...KyPwc_0tZIr658
As someone who has a car with level 2 autonomous driving as is the scope of this investigation...these people were just not paying attention. I would never leave the car in distronic when approaching emergency vehicles.
Old 08-16-21, 10:51 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As someone who has a car with level 2 autonomous driving as is the scope of this investigation...these people were just not paying attention. I would never leave the car in distronic when approaching emergency vehicles.
That is because you have common sense, which is something many Tesla zealots lack, and aside being annoying online, they display completely oblivious behavior on the road.
Old 08-16-21, 10:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't call you anything, and nothing to do with me. now these crackheads... yeah, cultists.
There is a guy who maintains a blocklist of the most loud Telsa clown with over 11k accounts, lol.

https://block-em.com/
Old 08-16-21, 10:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
That is because you have common sense, which is something many Tesla zealots lack, and aside being annoying online, they display completely oblivious behavior on the road.
So basically user error. If you go through the terms of use on autopilot, it basically says you have to pay attention at all times and have your hand on the steering wheel. Most of the Autopilot crashes involve people tricking the system into thinking there is a hand on the wheel. I expect the only outcome of this is to make Tesla put further disclaimers when starting the car and using autopilot that you have to pay attention at all times.
Old 08-16-21, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Thats not the vehicles fault…
Old 08-16-21, 11:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
So basically user error. If you go through the terms of use on autopilot, it basically says you have to pay attention at all times and have your hand on the steering wheel. Most of the Autopilot crashes involve people tricking the system into thinking there is a hand on the wheel. I expect the only outcome of this is to make Tesla put further disclaimers when starting the car and using autopilot that you have to pay attention at all times.
Of course user error, but these self driving systems encourage distraction, and it doesn't help that many Tesla drivers are absolutely obnoxious in their pursuit of the darwin award.
Old 08-16-21, 11:13 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Thats not the vehicles fault…
Yeah, but stereotypes by car exist for a reason.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion-yprdtax.jpg
Old 08-16-21, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Of course user error, but these self driving systems encourage distraction, and it doesn't help that many Tesla drivers are absolutely obnoxious in their pursuit of the darwin award.
I'm not buying it. We need a little personal responsibility here.
Old 08-16-21, 12:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
no doubt the lawyers and their fine print try hard to keep elon musk ("the" PR department) out of jail, but it's hard. every year he claims we're about there on 'full self driving' when we aren't. he's said numerous times USERS are the problem not his cars. while users can very well be part or a lot of the problem, his endless extolling the superiority of his technology ARE a problem too, leading (dumb) users to be way over confident, in Tesla's tech. it didn't need to be this way, but musk feels the need to keep some kind of aura of magic going so people keep buying. he seems to have mellowed a small bit, maybe because he's got so much going on besides tesla, but maybe because he's getting older, and maybe because the lawyers have made it clear he's dancing on the edge of a volcano.

what has been accomplished, IS amazing. but it's not perfect, and shouldn't be promoted as more than it is.

I'm not buying it. We need a little personal responsibility here.
definitely true.
Old 08-16-21, 02:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Elon is close to going to jail and his lawyers are desperately trying to keep him out? Wow.
Old 08-16-21, 02:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't think this is a repost, but there is now (long-overdue, IMO) a Federal investigation into 765,000 Tesla vehicles with autopilots.

I suspect they are going to find truth on both sides......some cases of simply morons in the back seat or otherwise abusing the system, and some factual engineering problems/inadequacies with the system.

https://www.wtvr.com/news/national/u...tesla-vehicles

NEWSNATIONAL NEWS

US probing Autopilot problems on 765,000 Tesla vehicles

Posted at 1:35 PM, Aug 16, 2021

and last updated 3:24 PM, Aug 16, 2021DETROIT (AP) —

The U.S. government has opened a formal investigation into Tesla's Autopilot partially automated driving system after a series of collisions with parked emergency vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced the action Monday in a posting on its website.

The agency says it has identified 11 crashes since 2018 in which Teslas on Autopilot or Traffic-Aware Cruise Control have hit vehicles with flashing lights, flares, an illuminated arrow board, or cones warning of hazards.

According to the NHTSA, the accidents occurred after dark.

The Associated Press reported that 17 people were injured and one person was killed.

The probe covers 765,000 vehicles from the 2014 through 2021 model years.

The models include Models Y, X, S, and 3, the agency said.

Autopilot has frequently been misused by Tesla drivers, who have been caught driving drunk or even riding in the back seat while a car rolled down a California highway.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-16-21 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that this investigation is just targeted at Tesla is evidence of the anti-Tesla bias. There are a lot of cars on the road with this same tech, including my own.
Old 08-16-21, 02:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Autopilot has frequently been misused by Tesla drivers, who have been caught driving drunk or even riding in the back seat while a car rolled down a California highway.
I wonder how many of the 11 crashes are because of this. I'm betting most if not all.
The fact that this investigation is just targeted at Tesla is evidence of the anti-Tesla bias. There are a lot of cars on the road with this same tech, including my own.
Legacy auto and everything connected to it is desperate to stop Tesla. Don't be fooled by the announcements from the big 3 that they are aggressively moving to electric vehicles. They will do almost anything to avoid doing so. It tosses a wrench in their business model and the dealership cash cow.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion