EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-21, 09:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lets not imply that Musk was pretending the person dancing in the robot suit was real lol. It was clearly meant to be funny, and immediately after it left the stage Musk laughed and said, "obviously thats not real".

Toyota has a robot that is programmed to shoot basketballs...lets not pretend they have an AI robot and have had it for years that does autonomous tasks. They don't.
Amen... or a woman, not sure what that thing was, lol.
Old 08-20-21, 11:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Tesing "FSD" in China, I think last time we saw this level of incompetence from a driver assist system was over a decade ago.

Old 08-20-21, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

These are fabulous innovations, but they are NOT AI powered robots.
Old 08-20-21, 11:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Tesing "FSD" in China, I think last time we saw this level of incompetence from a driver assist system was over a decade ago.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1307529357951467531
What driver assist system from over 10 years ago even claimed to avoid such a thing?
Old 08-20-21, 11:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

What driver assist system from over 10 years ago even claimed to avoid such a thing?
I belive there were Volvo or BMW videos from roughy 10 years ago that failed to detect a pedestrian in a similar fashion, if not less dramatic. The Tesla pos didn't even try to slow down.
Old 08-20-21, 12:03 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I was surprised at how technically dense the presentation was, and how much they walked through the failings and roadblocks during development.

I found it both interesting and difficult to digest even though I have some limited exposure to several of these concepts. It did feel like they were speaking directly to the audience of people they'd like to recruit.

The robot, it's like there always has to be some zany "but wait, there's more" with Elon. Score one for humanity with one of the first questions being an attempt to ask if it could be a sex robot one day without explicitly saying sex robot.
Old 08-20-21, 03:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I belive there were Volvo or BMW videos from roughy 10 years ago that failed to detect a pedestrian in a similar fashion, if not less dramatic. The Tesla pos didn't even try to slow down.
Volvo had two pretty dramatic viral failures of its auto-braking system. One was with a XC60 that was equipped with auto-braking but not pedestrian detection (sold separately in that market) and the other was in 2011 when a S60 suffered a fault that was unseen by the demonstration team which caused the car to hit a truck. In the latter case the actual technology was fine.
Old 08-21-21, 06:10 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The short term thinkers don't get it, same people that said Tesla would die, be bought out, never sell, never sell in volume, never make a profit. The pattern continues, maybe some are simply incapable of learning? A.I. day was awesome especially how Tesla is tackling FSD this is amazing stuff. The super computer cluster they designed is on another level, and Tesla is making their own purpose built processors for the cluster.

This guy gets it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps9p5HHhu4E
I don't know, to me he sounds super hyped up about what is about to be. Pretty much the story of Elon and Tesla and their following as well as market manipulation. The only reason he talks about super computer is because Elon bragged about it. Other manufacturers as well have had huge data centers for decades now and have collected as much data. Btw video of the demo with no hands on the wheel is something that no other manufacturer in this world would allow to be presented as is.
Old 08-21-21, 06:42 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I don't know, to me he sounds super hyped up about what is about to be. Pretty much the story of Elon and Tesla and their following as well as market manipulation. The only reason he talks about super computer is because Elon bragged about it. Other manufacturers as well have had huge data centers for decades now and have collected as much data. Btw video of the demo with no hands on the wheel is something that no other manufacturer in this world would allow to be presented as is.
A data center is not a training supercomputer. It's completely different. Tesla designed their own chip for the supercomputer. They aren't just an auto company as no other autocompany does anything like that. This is stuff that Intel and Qualcomm and Nvidia design.
Old 08-21-21, 07:15 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
A data center is not a training supercomputer. It's completely different. Tesla designed their own chip for the supercomputer. They aren't just an auto company as no other autocompany does anything like that. This is stuff that Intel and Qualcomm and Nvidia design.
They didn't design it, they announced it, lol. A bunch of trendy abstract terms, but very little in the way of essence, for now it's a $100 worth of machined metal parts. I'll believe it when it materializes - a one off chip with over 300 7nm custom cores, I'm not holding my breath.
Old 08-21-21, 07:19 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
They didn't design it, they announced it, lol. A bunch of trendy abstract terms, but very little in the way of essence, for now it's a $100 worth of machined metal parts. I'll believe it when it materializes - a one off chip with over 300 7nm custom cores, I'm not holding my breath.
It's already designed and working. Lol. They were unveiling what's been running the training AI right now. They even displayed one of the tiles on stage. It's impressive and I work in the semi industry so I know what's bull**** and what's not. Tesla is a recognized leader in AI in Silicon Valley but if you know better, I'd certainly like to know the basis of your argument.

Edit: BtW, this is their second semi design...the first was their CPU for their cars.
Old 08-21-21, 07:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's already designed and working. Lol. They were unveiling what's been running the training AI right now. They even displayed one of the tiles on stage. It's impressive and I work in the semi industry so I know what's bull**** and what's not. Tesla is a recognized leader in AI in Silicon Valley but if you know better, I'd certainly like to know the basis of your argument.

Edit: BtW, this is their second semi design...the first was their CPU for their cars.
No its not lol, they didn't even provide any technical details besides a bunch of abstract hype. Right now they are using nVidia designed supercomputer, but whatever they are doing with it translates to very little effect on their pathetic "FSD" system which still fails at most basic tasks.

https://www.futurecar.com/4698/A-Clo...eural-Networks
Old 08-21-21, 08:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
No its not lol, they didn't even provide any technical details besides a bunch of abstract hype. Right now they are using nVidia designed supercomputer, but whatever they are doing with it translates to very little effect on their pathetic "FSD" system which still fails at most basic tasks.

https://www.futurecar.com/4698/A-Clo...eural-Networks
They are piloting the hardware with a tile meaning it's running with a working design. The chips are already taped out. So it's your word against theirs
Old 08-21-21, 08:55 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
They are piloting the hardware with a tile meaning it's running with a working design. The chips are already taped out. So it's your word against theirs
What are you even talking about lol. They are designing the D1 chip which consists of "354 training nodes", then they are planning to combine 25 of these chips into a "training tile", then combining six tiles into a "training matrix tray", then two tray into a "cabinet" and finally ten cabinets into the "exaPOD" - and they will call it the Dojo supercomputer. Sounds ambitious, but for now it's just a rendering and $100 worth slab of machined metal to represent the "tile". There is no indication anywhere that they even have a working prototype of the D1 chip.

https://www.hpcwire.com/2021/08/20/e...puter-d1-chip/
Old 08-21-21, 09:08 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
What are you even talking about lol. They are designing the D1 chip which consists of "354 training nodes", then they are planning to combine 25 of these chips into a "training tile", then combining six tiles into a "training matrix tray", then two tray into a "cabinet" and finally ten cabinets into the "exaPOD" - and they will call it the Dojo supercomputer. Sounds ambitious, but for now it's just a rendering and $100 worth slab of machined metal to represent the "tile". There is no indication anywhere that they even have a working prototype of the D1 chip.

https://www.hpcwire.com/2021/08/20/e...puter-d1-chip/
The chip has taped out and they have a prototype tile.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...g-machine/amp/

They don't have a full cluster but the chip has been designed, verified, and in prototype form and taped out. It will take another year to build the actual supercomputer composed of thousands of tiles. It is not on paper only.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion