EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-21, 09:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The chip has taped out and they have a prototype tile.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electre...g-machine/amp/

They don't have a full cluster but the chip has been designed, verified, and in prototype form and taped out. It will take another year to build the actual supercomputer composed of thousands of tiles. It is not on paper only.
Before or after the Cybertruck and millions of robotaxis in 2019?
Old 08-21-21, 09:38 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Great article as usual from Jalopnik, and I agree with most of it, and even then he gives Tesla too much credit. I especially agree with one of the thoughts - concentrating on an autonomous driving system designed specifically for stop and go traffic. Something that works only on highways, up to say 10mph. For anything else, FSD is a giant waste of time and a failed experiment.

https://jalopnik.com/teslas-ai-day-e...eyr-1847526454
Old 08-21-21, 09:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Great article as usual from Jalopnik, and I agree with most of it, and even then he gives Tesla too much credit. I especially agree with one of the thoughts - concentrating on an autonomous driving system designed specifically for stop and go traffic. Something that works only on highways, up to say 10mph. For anything else, FSD is a giant waste of time and a failed experiment.

https://jalopnik.com/teslas-ai-day-e...eyr-1847526454
The article is completely missing the point. Tesla's aim isn't to aid human driving. It's to replace human driving completely. That's the long term goals and it has to start somewhere. You are literally criticizing their R&D showcase and recruiting event aimed at engineers and not the mass public. None of this will be productized anytime soon. It's a peek into the stuff they are working on and they need more engineers in this field.
Old 08-21-21, 09:54 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
The article is completely missing the point. Tesla's aim isn't to aid human driving. It's to replace human driving completely. That's the long term goals and it has to start somewhere. You are literally criticizing their R&D showcase and recruiting event aimed at engineers and not the mass public. None of this will be productized anytime soon. It's a peek into the stuff they are working on and they need more engineers in this field.
Uh, no, their only aim is to pump their stocks through lies and fraud. Their FSD is a dangerous and failed experiment and I hope the regulators looking into it ban it outright.
Old 08-21-21, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Uh, no, their only aim is to pump their stocks through lies and fraud. Their FSD is a dangerous and failed experiment and I hope the regulators looking into it ban it outright.
i think you're very far off there. you know i don't approve of the hype and mischaracterization (deceit) of "fsd", but i DO think tesla will get where they're promising at some point. Their cars are basically data gatherers for their central skynet AI datacenters to improve the system, a little like how alexa/siri/google get smarter with feedback loops and data crunching. Those companies have used what they've learned to push more processing BACK to the end points (phones, speakers, etc.), which is great. Tesla cars WILL get smarter and better at what they do. At some point, it will be 'good enough' for the vast majority of driving. Will there still be crashes? Sure.

but to say it's a dangerous and failed experiment ignores all the progress that HAS been made, even if it doesn't currently live up to the hype.

Old 08-21-21, 10:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Also, i saw comments on youtube about how 'anyone over 60' is clueless about tech and won't want self-driving cars. That is an utterly clueless assessment. Everyone i speak to 60 and over CAN'T WAIT for self-driving cars, so they can visit the grand kids 50, 100, or 500 miles away without dreading the drive. CAN'T wait to know the car could get them to a hospital if they were in trouble. CAN'T wait to know the car can go get the curbside groceries and bring them back. It's all going to happen in the next decade and millions of boomers are very excited even if some luddites aren't.
Old 08-21-21, 10:48 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I think full autonomous development is just beginning. We will be lucky to see a complete driverless system by 2030. I'm positive that there will be one when I hit my 60s though and it will be glorious. I won't have to rely on my kids or driver when I get too old to drive (hopefully in my 80s).
Old 08-21-21, 10:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

I didn't fully appreciate what Tesla is trying to do until A.I. day. Essentially Tesla is recreating reality via camera data then getting the car to identify and react to objects just like a person does. Of course I've always knew this was the goal, but when you actually see all that is involved what they are doing is incredibly ambitious. This goes way beyond autonomous driving the 3D space interaction can be applied to any type of machine including yes, a robot. This is just as much about object identification as it is about driving without hitting anything.

Then there is the predictive nature of the system, being able to guess where an occluded object will be after it becomes visible again has huge implications, expand on that and you should be able to predict a crash before it happens, predict if a person is going to run into the road and so many other events. Expand on that further and I can see it being possible to learn patterns in the broader sense meaning being able to predict based on the motion of say 20 cars when a multi car crash is imminent. There is so much potential.
Old 08-21-21, 11:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The other huge win is using already known data. So the 'arguments' about how a car can navigate/autopilot when in snow becomes largely irrelevant because the car already knows where the roads go, what lane markings are there without snow, etc. of course there's always scenarios that can't be foreseen, like, a cow walks across the road in a blizzard and the car doesn't see it until 'too late'... well that would have happened with a person too and even then the car might do a better job of an evasive/safest maneuver.
Old 08-21-21, 11:26 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

One thing was clear though...Tesla isn't close to getting autonomous auto. They were trying to recruit at the event..haha. They are realizing it's way harder than they imagined at the beginning.
Old 08-21-21, 11:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
of course there's always scenarios that can't be foreseen, like, a cow walks across the road in a blizzard and the car doesn't see it until 'too late'....
Or a rock on the side of the road that happens to confuse Tesla’s in Yellowstone
Old 08-21-21, 11:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
One thing was clear though...Tesla isn't close to getting autonomous auto. They were trying to recruit at the event..haha. They are realizing it's way harder than they imagined at the beginning.
Elon admitted he is always way overly optimistic and if he wasn't and knew how hard a project was going to be he'd never start anything. The skeptics equate this to lying, to me this is a low IQ way of looking at it. If he was lying he'd pull a Trevor Milton and blatantly lie and say something exists when it doesn't. Missing a target date is not lying, unless you set a target date then do nothing at all to try and achieve it. Is Lucid lying when they say production this year? I don't think so, they are trying to get there but will probably miss the target.

Toyota saying they'd have 10 EVs by the early 2020, that was a blatant lie. GM said they'd have a bunch of EVs by now, they never intended to or had any way of doing so. They only wanted to appease investors. Are they doing the same thing now? Not sure.
Old 08-21-21, 12:11 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think you're very far off there. you know i don't approve of the hype and mischaracterization (deceit) of "fsd", but i DO think tesla will get where they're promising at some point. Their cars are basically data gatherers for their central skynet AI datacenters to improve the system, a little like how alexa/siri/google get smarter with feedback loops and data crunching. Those companies have used what they've learned to push more processing BACK to the end points (phones, speakers, etc.), which is great. Tesla cars WILL get smarter and better at what they do. At some point, it will be 'good enough' for the vast majority of driving. Will there still be crashes? Sure.

but to say it's a dangerous and failed experiment ignores all the progress that HAS been made, even if it doesn't currently live up to the hype.
We will never have true autonomous cars, and while a waste of time, most of the effort comes from Waymo where they are using a combination of cameras, radars and lidar. Tesla system is just a money grabbing scam consisting of poorly implemented software and low resolution cameras. It can't handle even most basic road conditions, and in the hands of often reckless Tesla owners it becomes a dangerous experiment.

Old 08-21-21, 02:23 PM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
x1000

Och, you reflect all the understanding of the Tesla business philosophy that any reasonable person needs to have.
Old 08-21-21, 02:50 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

I'm trying to figure out whether it's better to be a righteous Tesla truth-seeker like Och, singlehandedly waging this just and noble crusade to expose this despicable company for the fraudsters that they undoubtedly are, or to be wrong about Tesla, like me, yet up huge amounts of money on their stock and sat on some quite extraordinary gains?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion