EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-21, 08:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Any value to you Bit?
Old 07-17-21, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

$199 a month for an unproven system to drive itself into walls? Sure, I'll take that....Bargain of the Year.
Old 07-17-21, 10:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Any value to you Bit?
Ha, given its current 'abilities', uh, no.
Old 07-17-21, 11:30 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

I've got FSD in my 3P (back when it was 6K) and when I was regularly commuting from NJ to DE, it handled ~90% of the driving including highway transitions, lane changes, etc. It made my commute a breeze. Would I get it at 10K? Probably. But not on my wife's 3. She doesn't even like activating cruise control.
Old 07-17-21, 12:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
I've got FSD in my 3P (back when it was 6K) and when I was regularly commuting from NJ to DE, it handled ~90% of the driving including highway transitions, lane changes, etc. It made my commute a breeze.

Would I get it at 10K? Probably.
You're an early adopter of a lot of things, and no doubt a lot of tesla buyers are, but do you have any source for what the take rate is on fsd?

Since i don't drive on interstates much i hadn't realized my santa fe has something called HDA or highway driving assist. It lets me drive hands off the wheel for several minutes at a time it seems. An "HDA" indicator is on the HUD. It enables this mode via knowing what road it's on (GPS)... kind of a weaksauce FSD.
Old 07-17-21, 12:56 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I doubt the FSD take rate is high. I think the subscription is a great feature though if you plan on doing a long road trip and FSD was a bit better.

The autopilot I have is enough for me though as I don't trust the car to make lane changes. All I want is that it keep me in my lane and slow down when the car in front of me slows. I like to drive so I rarely use the feature. It's only really useful for me when I have to open up a drink with both hands
Old 07-17-21, 01:35 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by EZZ
I doubt the FSD take rate is high. I think the subscription is a great feature though if you plan on doing a long road trip and FSD was a bit better.

The autopilot I have is enough for me though as I don't trust the car to make lane changes. All I want is that it keep me in my lane and slow down when the car in front of me slows. I like to drive so I rarely use the feature. It's only really useful for me when I have to open up a drink with both hands
Part of my normal commute includes stretches of 55MPH roads with traffic signals. When I see a red in front, I still turn off AP to slow the car down earlier than it would stop itself. Auto lane changes are fun, auto highway interchanges are…a little nerve wracking if it’s a big loop
Old 07-17-21, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Even at $6K for the package, that's $100 a month for 5 years, which seems really steep to me.
but i get it for tesla, they're trying to leverage revenue in any way possible while still having an attainable entry price point for the vehicles.

but then again, think i paid $5K or something for the rear steering, VGRS and some other goodies on my LC.
Old 07-19-21, 06:13 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

It's not much different than what Comcast does with their cable wifi modems. The amount of money they make from 'renting' out the boxes is crazy. Consumers are presented with a choice to either spend $200-300 upfront or a $10-15 monthly fee. The $10-15 fee often ends up what they decide on and at the end of the month, they get the large bill of $200+ monthly for cable+internet service. Anyone 'renting' and using comcast for 4 years, will be giving comcast pure profit on the cable wifi modem boxes after the first year.

The $199 subscription by Tesla is a very compelling choice. There's nothing forcing Tesla owners to have a minimum subscription term at that rate. (I could be wrong here). If you see yourself traveling a lot in a particular month, go for it for the months you really need it. The value benefit analysis here is $7 dollars a day it could make a difference in saving your life or taking stress out of traffic. A lot more people can afford $200-300 cable wifi modem box than a $10,000 add on feature. Unlike the comcast situation, you cannot find a 3rd party solution to give yourself the FSD benefits.

The more I read up on what's behind the FSD technology and super computing infrastructure, it continues to blow my mind. Anyone buying into FSD or supporting it via subscription is actually helping the overall infrastructure get better and better. In time, these costs can drop whenever Tesla is ready awaken more subscriptions from their growing worldwide units on the road. It may be $199 for these upcoming 3 years, and could drop to $149 or maybe even $99 as FSD services scales up. In 10 years (or 3-5 million units later), you could have more than HALF of the tesla vehicles on some form of subscription. In 10 yrs, 2 million cars * 149/month is $298 million year. It'll be the greatest free flowing revenue subscription revenue source any car company has done. Kudos to Tesla for pulling this off. The vehicle safety records will be the 'proof' whether it's worth paying for or not to be among the safest vehicles on the road. The bar really has been set high here.
Old 07-19-21, 06:13 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Even at $6K for the package, that's $100 a month for 5 years, which seems really steep to me.
but i get it for tesla, they're trying to leverage revenue in any way possible while still having an attainable entry price point for the vehicles.

but then again, think i paid $5K or something for the rear steering, VGRS and some other goodies on my LC.
I agree and it's actually a disincentive to upgrade. If it was locked to users instead of to vehicles, I'd be taking a hard look at a LR Model S right now with the inflated trade in prices. Tesla is offering $52K on my 3P

Last edited by Allen K; 07-19-21 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-19-21, 07:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
I agree and it's actually a disincentive to upgrade. If it was locked to users instead of to vehicles, I'd be taking a hard look at a LR Model S right now with the inflated trade in prices. Tesla is offering $52K on my 3P
so i think you're saying that any lr s you're interested in may not have fsd so you'd either have to subscribe or drop 10 large to get it.
Old 07-19-21, 07:32 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i think you're saying that any lr s you're interested in may not have fsd so you'd either have to subscribe or drop 10 large to get it.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to a new LR, and there is only one version.
Old 07-19-21, 07:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
IAnyone buying into FSD or supporting it via subscription is actually helping the overall infrastructure get better and better.
maybe through usage data, but i have no doubt tesla is collecting all the data whether you have fsd to the user turned on or not.

In 10 years (or 3-5 million units later), you could have more than HALF of the tesla vehicles on some form of subscription. In 10 yrs, 2 million cars * 149/month is $298 million year. It'll be the greatest free flowing revenue subscription revenue source any car company has done.
subscription services for all cars (and pretty much all electronics) are here to stay. that "$7 a day" as you put it is suddenly multiplied by 20 with all the services a person has, and they're looking at $140 a day which is more than $15/hr wage rate!

Kudos to Tesla for pulling this off.
yeah, having people shell out $199.mo. or $10K is quite a feat.

this all reminds me of The Music Man musical and book... The Music Man - Wikipedia

Elon Musk is the new Harold Hill.

Old 07-19-21, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
It's not much different than what Comcast does with their cable wifi modems. The amount of money they make from 'renting' out the boxes is crazy. Consumers are presented with a choice to either spend $200-300 upfront or a $10-15 monthly fee. The $10-15 fee often ends up what they decide on and at the end of the month, they get the large bill of $200+ monthly for cable+internet service. Anyone 'renting' and using comcast for 4 years, will be giving comcast pure profit on the cable wifi modem boxes after the first year.
it's hugely different. you can also just buy your own modem/router for way less and use it.

Old 07-19-21, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
I'm pretty sure he's referring to a new LR, and there is only one version.
right but afaik fsd is not included always?

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion