EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21 | 12:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Funny, my (non tesla) cars with adaptive cruise, lane keeping, and collision braking, almost certainly wouldn't have crashed in the same situation.
You really don't know that for sure.
Old 08-30-21 | 01:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

If anyone ever used a bathroom at a rest area, where the faucets have sensors to turn water on automatically when they detect your hands - half of these usually do not work and are completely frustrating to use. Automatic braking is the same thing in an essence, only a billionthy million times more complicated, no wonder it often fails.
Old 08-30-21 | 02:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla autopilot usage is very high and the reputation of autopilot (and maybe name) seems to incite bad behavior in many drivers. A lot of people wouldn't let the car drive using Kia or Volvo's system but they will do it in Teslas. Part of the reason is that the Autopilot system is extremely good in most situations. I mean it seems like its in complete control and working great but that 1% of the time it can't detect a stationary object is when you see crashes happen...its false security in the system itself and people get lazy about being vigilant.
yes a big part of the reason for overconfidence is it was over sold.
Old 08-30-21 | 04:20 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you sound like a tesla lawyer.

Funny, my (non tesla) cars with adaptive cruise, lane keeping, and collision braking, almost certainly wouldn't have crashed in the same situation.
1 - I got that from during the test drive and from the EAP operating manual.
2 - How can you know the facts of the case? How do you know your cars would not have crashed in the same situation?

You may be right, but there are a lot of assumptions.

Last edited by JeffKeryk; 08-30-21 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-30-21 | 04:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Tesla "full self driving" discussion-tdpcqdb.jpg
Old 08-30-21 | 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
If anyone ever used a bathroom at a rest area, where the faucets have sensors to turn water on automatically when they detect your hands - half of these usually do not work and are completely frustrating to use. Automatic braking is the same thing in an essence, only a billionthy million times more complicated, no wonder it often fails.
Often fails? No.
Old 08-30-21 | 07:23 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Often fails? No.
He didn't mean fail. He meant that you have to move your hands around a bunch, just to get 1.5 seconds worth of water. Then move around yet again and repeat this process 5 or 6 times. In that entire time you could grab a paper towel and be done.
Old 08-30-21 | 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xjokerz
He didn't mean fail. He meant that you have to move your hands around a bunch, just to get 1.5 seconds worth of water. Then move around yet again and repeat this process 5 or 6 times. In that entire time you could grab a paper towel and be done.
I mean his comment that auto braking systems "often fail", which is absolutely untrue. I couldn't possibly care less about faucets in rest stops.
Old 08-30-21 | 08:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Umm, if they don't then why is the NHTSA investigating them?
Old 08-30-21 | 08:12 PM
xjokerz
Racer

I mean his comment that auto braking systems "often fail", which is absolutely untrue. I couldn't possibly care less about faucets in rest stops.
Oh, that I have absolutely no idea of.
Old 08-31-21 | 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Umm, if they don't then why is the NHTSA investigating them?
The NHTSA is investigating specifically Tesla, not the technology as a whole, and the number of accidents where this has happened compared with the many miles driven with these systems every day is an extremely small %. To say they "often fail" is a gross exaggeration.

And just because there is an investigation doesn't mean they will find fault. Remember Toyota was investigated by the NHTSA for unintended acceleration after several accidents and no fault was found with the design of the vehicle.

You just hate Tesla and you hate this tech so you want this to be some huge smoking gun and that's just not the case.
Old 08-31-21 | 02:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

The NHTSA is investigating specifically Tesla, not the technology as a whole, and the number of accidents where this has happened compared with the many miles driven with these systems every day is an extremely small %. To say they "often fail" is a gross exaggeration.

And just because there is an investigation doesn't mean they will find fault. Remember Toyota was investigated by the NHTSA for unintended acceleration after several accidents and no fault was found with the design of the vehicle.

You just hate Tesla and you hate this tech so you want this to be some huge smoking gun and that's just not the case.
It's not a technology, its a marketing gimmick, and I don't hate it, I just enjoy mocking it and enjoy watching the mental gymnastics from fanboys defending it. I don't hate Tesla, in fact I very much admire the way Elon parts fools and their money.
Old 08-31-21 | 02:25 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Och
It's not a technology, its a marketing gimmick, and I don't hate it, I just enjoy mocking it and enjoy watching the mental gymnastics from fanboys defending it. I don't hate Tesla, in fact I very much admire the way Elon parts fools and their money.
A driver assistance system is anything but a marketing gimmick. I use it almost every single time I drive my S and despite the "mental gymnastics" you think I'm jumping through, it actually works as intended

I should have consulted you before I got the car two years ago!!
Old 08-31-21 | 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I use the same tech in my S Class every day and love it too.
Old 08-31-21 | 02:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
It's not a technology, its a marketing gimmick,.
Why in your opinion is it not a technology but instead a marketing gimmick?

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion