EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-21, 07:47 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so i think you're saying that any lr s you're interested in may not have fsd so you'd either have to subscribe or drop 10 large to get it.
Yeah, I do really enjoy FSD even in its limited form. But the thought of dropping another 10K on top of the purchase price is hard to swallow considering the age of my 3
Old 07-19-21, 07:52 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

yeah, having people shell out $199.mo. or $10K is quite a feat.

this all reminds me of The Music Man musical and book... The Music Man - Wikipedia

Elon Musk is the new Harold Hill.
Harold Hill did, of course, ultimately deliver.

Musk will too.
Old 07-19-21, 08:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

right but afaik fsd is not included always?
Its an option you tick off when making an order

Old 07-19-21, 08:45 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Old 07-19-21, 11:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Its an option you tick off when making an order
right so allen's point is because the fsd package is tied to the car, not the owner, if you get another car, you have to pay for it all over again and why he says it's a disincentive to upgrade.

Old 07-19-21, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
Harold Hill did, of course, ultimately deliver.
LOL. harold hill was a charlatan and crook. yes, he 'inspired' the crappy band to eventually get good enough to perform at the end, but of course, that's a fantasy ending to a movie.

Musk will too.
we'll see. i hope he does. i WANT self-driving capability.

Old 07-19-21, 02:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

LOL. harold hill was a charlatan and crook.
Why do you think Elon Musk is a charlatan and crook.
Old 07-19-21, 04:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

yeah, having people shell out $199.mo. or $10K is quite a feat.
It’s a pretty good business model and lots of profit in but, main stream people will not buy this on a monthly subscription basis. Thus it will fail. $2400 a year? Lol

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 07-19-21 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-19-21, 05:52 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Better get used to it- the future of cars are drivable smartphones. The Germans have already started their pay-for-features subscriptions.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...omotive-trend/
Old 07-19-21, 06:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
It’s a pretty good business model and lots of profit in but, main stream people will not buy this on a monthly subscription basis. Thus it will fail. $2400 a year? Lol
If the alternative is $10,000 upfront for something that you can't transfer to a different Tesla if you buy a new one, then sure they will. Likely in droves. People want the features, but they don't like the 10K cost - and they typically don't focus as much on the break-even time. There are lots of cases where consumers are willing to pay more over time than they would pay if they were to write a big one time check. In this case, it addresses some big barriers to entry. Because you can turn the FSD subscription on and off, it's something you can use only when you really need it. Customers will also rationalize it as way to not throw their 10K down the crapper if they had FSD on a prior Tesla and buy a new one
Old 07-19-21, 06:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
If the alternative is $10,000 upfront for something that you can't transfer to a different Tesla if you buy a new one, then sure they will. Likely in droves. People want the features, but they don't like the 10K cost - and they typically don't focus as much on the break-even time. There are lots of cases where consumers are willing to pay more over time than they would pay if they were to write a big one time check. In this case, it addresses some big barriers to entry. Because you can turn the FSD subscription on and off, it's something you can use only when you really need it. Customers will also rationalize it as way to not throw their 10K down the crapper if they had FSD on a prior Tesla and buy a new one
interesting argument... and maybe the subscription will actually destroy the pay once option.
Old 07-19-21, 06:25 PM
swajames
Pole Position

interesting argument... and maybe the subscription will actually destroy the pay once option.
I think that might just be the goal - more people are likely to take it on these new terms than the old ones, and it gives customers confidence as they can start their sub when they feel FSD is a bit more mature rather than taking a 10K punt on something which they might think isn't quite there yet. Also wonder if the accounting treatment might be better for Tesla and might also be (in part) behind this. Tesla doesn't recognize the full 10K upfront charge for FSD as revenue anyway, FSD revenue is deferred and is recognized in increments as features are released.
Old 07-19-21, 10:56 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

What a bunch of crap. So I'm going to pay a bunch of money so I don't have to drive my car, but I can let computers drive it for me? No thanks.

Also nothing worse than seeing a Tesla on the freeway. When I see one, I do everything I can to mess with them.
Old 07-19-21, 11:06 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Why is everyone in such a damn hurry to get into a car that can drive itself? Do we have to constantly be pushing the technological envelope? It's all a bit much, especially in this case. There is literally nothing wrong with driving yourself (or riding with someone operating the car).
Old 07-20-21, 07:39 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Also nothing worse than seeing a Tesla on the freeway. When I see one, I do everything I can to mess with them.
Disagree. Hearing that you mess with Teslas on the freeway for no real reason other than "boo Tesla", is worse.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion