EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-21, 02:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Yep, everyone wants a self driving car so they can have more time to play on facebook, snapchat and to upload selfies all day
What an amazing concept. Pay $200 so you can’t drive your car and instead you can go on Facebook

$2400 per year
Old 07-20-21, 02:09 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What an amazing concept. Pay $200 so you can’t drive your car and instead you can go on Facebook

$2400 per year
Actually it'll be pretty damn common with these self driving cars. People already do it while driving their regular cars.
Old 07-20-21, 03:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Actually, mine is a 15 inch screen and I just put it in drive and leave. No archaic start button. I actually like driving my car so I don't really need autopilot. I would use autopilot more if my car was as slow as yours though.
Your car is slower than mine so what does that statement prove?
Old 07-20-21, 03:36 PM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I read that full self driving isn't really full self driving. That the autosteer part for city street is still going to be delayed. And the 2016+ cars were sold as full self driving complaint for the future so no hardware updates would be needed. Now I'm reading that there will be a $1500 hardware upgrade needed for those cars.

Sounds like a mess.

Tesla wants owners to pay $1,500 for hardware they thought they already had (msn.com)

Tesla launches its Full Self-Driving subscription package for $199 per month - Electrek
Not much to see here, honestly. If you buy FSD you get the hardware upgrade for free. These cars are all 2+ years old, subscription just came out now. That's hardly a ripoff, but they should give you a bill credit on FSD subscription until X months and your $1500 is all paid back.

The fact that FSD doesn't FSD after this many years is the real complaint. Since it doesn't transfer to other cars I'm sure many people no longer have the car and got almost zero value from their FSD purchase.
Old 07-20-21, 04:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Your car is slower than mine so what does that statement prove?
Not much really. He purposefully screws around with Teslas on a highway with his slow Lexus and its really a douche move.
Old 07-20-21, 04:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Some are about to get the boot from this thread with immature commentary. Back on topic, maturely and politely folks.
Old 07-20-21, 05:00 PM
xjokerz
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not much really. He purposefully screws around with Teslas on a highway with his slow Lexus and its really a douche move.
Yeah, and I guess Tesla owners aren't *******s.
Old 07-20-21, 05:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by xjokerz
Yeah, and I guess Tesla owners aren't *******s.
xjokerz, exit this thread.
Old 07-20-21, 06:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Yeah, so why did you bother constantly mentioning how FSDs failings don't matter since the car is fast? If a car has a system it should work at least as well as the driver can perform the same actions or it's useless.

Sure he is being an *** if he actually does mess with people using FSD but it doesn't have anything to do with how you personally view the FSD system as "fine" since you normally directly control the car. It's not really the point of this thread how fast or not a car is but rather does the system work and how much it costs.

As far as my view goes I prefer the subscription in theory so I can buy it for a long trip and not have to pay so much for something I'll only use maybe 20 times over 10 years.........this is all provided the system itself (car its mounted in aside) drives at least as well as I do when I have been up for 20+ hours. If it can't it just won't be used in my case since I would only use it to take entirely over for me so I can rest if I've been up too long.
Old 07-20-21, 07:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah, so why did you bother constantly mentioning how FSDs failings don't matter since the car is fast? If a car has a system it should work at least as well as the driver can perform the same actions or it's useless.

Sure he is being an *** if he actually does mess with people using FSD but it doesn't have anything to do with how you personally view the FSD system as "fine" since you normally directly control the car. It's not really the point of this thread how fast or not a car is but rather does the system work and how much it costs.

As far as my view goes I prefer the subscription in theory so I can buy it for a long trip and not have to pay so much for something I'll only use maybe 20 times over 10 years.........this is all provided the system itself (car its mounted in aside) drives at least as well as I do when I have been up for 20+ hours. If it can't it just won't be used in my case since I would only use it to take entirely over for me so I can rest if I've been up too long.
He was targeting anyone with a Tesla, not FSD. Also, I've never defended FSD...its a beta product that people buy because they are tech enthusiasts. They should just offer Enhanced Autopilot which is just the freeway stuff with lane changes. All the future city stuff isn't worth it.
Old 07-20-21, 07:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Beta9 is friggin awesome from a tech perspective, the way it recognized and visualizes in real time and uses all that input to drive is astounding. Warts and all, it's cool as hell. This is the future like it or not, and I don't see any other way than trial by fire meaning AI learning in real traffic situations. Anything that thinks geofenced, limited scenarios is going to achieve FSD is in for a rude awakening.

Of note, notice this is the Tesla FSD thread not the general FSD thread. That's because no one else has anything worth talking about.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-21-21 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Headed towards debate and impolite.
Old 07-20-21, 09:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Of note, notice this is the Tesla FSD thread not the general FSD thread. That's because no one else has anything worth talking about.
It's called the Tesla FSD thread because only Tesla with its "***** as big as church bells" calls it's driving assistance features "full self driving" when it isn't and with endless legalese to try to keep them out of lawsuits.

But it is pretty impressive as shown here:

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-21-21 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-21-21, 06:07 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But it is pretty impressive as shown here:

https://youtu.be/0zAAL2SebcU
That definitely is very impressive!
Old 07-21-21, 06:24 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Did a quick Google search to verify the bolded statement. Waymo gives legitimate full self-driving capability to vehicles (Pacifica, Prius, I-Pace, and others). I personally think that's worth talking about, but not for this thread as this is specific to Tesla's driver assistance system (Tesla FSD). As a driver assistance system, Tesla FSD is one of the best.
Old 07-21-21, 06:51 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
Not much to see here, honestly. If you buy FSD you get the hardware upgrade for free. These cars are all 2+ years old, subscription just came out now. That's hardly a ripoff, but they should give you a bill credit on FSD subscription until X months and your $1500 is all paid back.

The fact that FSD doesn't FSD after this many years is the real complaint. Since it doesn't transfer to other cars I'm sure many people no longer have the car and got almost zero value from their FSD purchase.
Multiple sites are reporting that Tesla dropped the upgrade price to $1000, so I’m not sure where the get it free if you buy FSD info is coming from. I don’t think anybody is upgrading without purchasing FSD.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion