EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 06:58 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Multiple sites are reporting that Tesla dropped the upgrade price to $1000, so I’m not sure where the get it free if you buy FSD info is coming from. I don’t think anybody is upgrading without purchasing FSD.
If you buy the entire $10k FSD package, you get the hardware for free if you don't have it. This is only on pre-June 2019 cars that have hardware 2.5. Everything after that period came with 3.0.

You only have to pay the $1k if you want to do the subscription and don't have hardware 3.0.
Old 07-21-21, 07:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Did a quick Google search to verify the bolded statement. Waymo gives legitimate full self-driving capability to vehicles (Pacifica, Prius, I-Pace, and others). I personally think that's worth talking about, but not for this thread as this is specific to Tesla's driver assistance system (Tesla FSD). As a driver assistance system, Tesla FSD is one of the best.
Feel free to make a general FSD thread (think this is a good idea). I did search YT for various FSD vids (the cars you listed) 95% of the results are about Tesla.
Old 07-21-21, 08:38 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Multiple sites are reporting that Tesla dropped the upgrade price to $1000, so I’m not sure where the get it free if you buy FSD info is coming from. I don’t think anybody is upgrading without purchasing FSD.
Originally Posted by EZZ
If you buy the entire $10k FSD package, you get the hardware for free if you don't have it. This is only on pre-June 2019 cars that have hardware 2.5. Everything after that period came with 3.0.

You only have to pay the $1k if you want to do the subscription and don't have hardware 3.0.
EZZ is correct, FSD has always been a purchase in full option in the past and upgrade of hw was included if needed. I got FSD during the fire sale of 2019 when it was reduced to $5k (or $2k if you had the enhanced autopilot option already) in part to get the free hw upgrade.
The $1500, now $1000 I guess, is to prevent people from signing up for a month of subscription just to get a free hw upgrade. That's why I suggested they credit it back to you over time if you maintain the subscription.
Old 07-21-21, 09:24 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Is it actually confirmed that you can turn on/off the subscription whenever you feel like it? Link to source?
Old 07-21-21, 09:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Feel free to make a general FSD thread (think this is a good idea).
it's not a good idea because only tesla uses the 'full self driving' (bogus) description.

Old 07-21-21, 09:50 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Is it actually confirmed that you can turn on/off the subscription whenever you feel like it? Link to source?
It is implied. You can turn it off at any time (see FAQ in the link below) and there appears to be no restriction on restarting at will. The only limitation is no pro-rata refunds if you cancel mid-cycle. In other words, if you have it and cancel you will have access for the remainder of the billing month, it will simply not renew.

https://www.tesla.com/support/full-s...-subscriptions
Old 07-21-21, 03:24 PM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

I myself have paid a premium to have fun cars to drive, so I fully intend on driving myself. I enjoy driving, even on long trips. I also think 10k is pretty aggressive.

I did recently see a video of a Tesla approaching an intersection. Someone ran the light at high speed, the Tesla saw that car coming, and stopped itself abruptly, just in time to save the driver from being hit in the driver door at full chat. That video gained my respect for Tesla. That sort of technology is welcome to guard my kids and wife. Not so much to fully drive though.
Old 07-21-21, 03:50 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
EZZ is correct, FSD has always been a purchase in full option in the past and upgrade of hw was included if needed. I got FSD during the fire sale of 2019 when it was reduced to $5k (or $2k if you had the enhanced autopilot option already) in part to get the free hw upgrade.
The $1500, now $1000 I guess, is to prevent people from signing up for a month of subscription just to get a free hw upgrade. That's why I suggested they credit it back to you over time if you maintain the subscription.
You both are missing the point. Tesla said in 2016 (not 2019) that all the cars had the hardware to run FSD whenever it would be implemented. Now, they are asking some to pay again for something they were told they had already purchased.
Old 07-22-21, 04:55 AM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

You both are missing the point. Tesla said in 2016 (not 2019) that all the cars had the hardware to run FSD whenever it would be implemented. Now, they are asking some to pay again for something they were told they had already purchased.
This! How is it legal to tell customers your car has all the components to do self driving then fast forward a few years and tesla says gotcha! You must pay us $1,000 for the component to do self driving.
Old 07-22-21, 06:24 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

This popped up in my feed yesterday. The article contains links to two videos of Teslas running FSD Beta 9.0.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...en-165597.html

Quoted from the article:
"... at some point, something bad is going to happen, and even though Tesla won't be legally liable for it, we will all know it is the moral author for allowing regular Joes to perform beta testing for a critical safety system on public roads. Will it hurt Tesla's public image and sales? Probably not, but it's pretty damning for us as a species if that's all we care about anymore."
Old 07-22-21, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
This popped up in my feed yesterday. The article contains links to two videos of Teslas running FSD Beta 9.0.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/h...en-165597.html

Quoted from the article:
"... at some point, something bad is going to happen, and even though Tesla won't be legally liable for it, we will all know it is the moral author for allowing regular Joes to perform beta testing for a critical safety system on public roads. Will it hurt Tesla's public image and sales? Probably not, but it's pretty damning for us as a species if that's all we care about anymore."
Agreed with the above - regular Joes should not be allowed to beta test this.

I have an issue with this blanket generalization of EV drivers. Clearly the author is biased and drawing conclusions that cannot be applied to everyone. I personally take this as very offensive as I very rarely use the "AutoPilot" system on my car which can only change lanes on my command, keep itself in it's lane, stop, start, cruise behind cars etc. I am very vigilant whenever I let the system drive the car (on highways). I am sure there are folks that are not vigilant and do stupid stuff, but why is this author making such a general statement about all EV drivers?? Why is that even a thing? EV drivers? I'm driving a car dammit.

"EV drivers in general and Tesla drivers, in particular, aren't exactly the most popular out on the road, and even though that happens for all the wrong reasons, the kind of behavior shown by these FSD Beta 9 testing volunteers isn't going to help."
Old 07-22-21, 07:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Agreed with the above - regular Joes should not be allowed to beta test this.

I have an issue with this blanket generalization of EV drivers. Clearly the author is biased and drawing conclusions that cannot be applied to everyone. I personally take this as very offensive as I very rarely use the "AutoPilot" system on my car which can only change lanes on my command, keep itself in it's lane, stop, start, cruise behind cars etc. I am very vigilant whenever I let the system drive the car (on highways). I am sure there are folks that are not vigilant and do stupid stuff, but why is this author making such a general statement about all EV drivers?? Why is that even a thing? EV drivers? I'm driving a car dammit.

"EV drivers in general and Tesla drivers, in particular, aren't exactly the most popular out on the road, and even though that happens for all the wrong reasons, the kind of behavior shown by these FSD Beta 9 testing volunteers isn't going to help."
Do EV drivers get picked on in other parts of the country? Doesn't apply here in California as its as common to drive an EV as it is a BMW.
Old 07-22-21, 08:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Do EV drivers get picked on in other parts of the country? Doesn't apply here in California as its as common to drive an EV as it is a BMW.
Good question. It would be interesting to know how prevelent this really is. The whole concept of the things you hear about being done to Teslas is stupid.
Old 07-22-21, 08:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good question. It would be interesting to know how prevelent this really is. The whole concept of the things you hear about being done to Teslas is stupid.
I doubt this is really happening to just Tesla owners. Every Tesla I see on the road just seems to blend in and they drive on their merry way. Every time I see a Tesla is a parking lot I do see people around ready to cause trouble. I will admit, with all the talk about Tesla and their fake self driving claims, I do wonder when I see one in the rear view if it lose control
Old 07-22-21, 08:29 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I think he's speaking on the perceived reputation that drivers of Teslas and other EVs carry. Similar to how some people think all BMW drivers are dbags, or how all Mustang drivers are inexperienced/immature. Most of us on this forum know that not all of the drivers of these vehicles fit these stereotypes, but "the kind of behavior shown by these FSD Beta 9 testing volunteers" contributes to the existing stereotypes against them. I think the behaviour he's referring to is the fact that the drivers did not intervene when they should have, which in turn creates risky situations for others on the road.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion