EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-21, 08:33 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The whole concept of the things you hear about being done to Teslas is stupid.
This I agree with 100%. I've seen quite a few videos of people needlessly targeting Teslas for no real reason. People scratching them up with keys, trucks blocking changing stations, a Civic driver brake-checking a Tesla and then damaging it by throwing a penny at it at highway speeds, etc.
Old 07-22-21, 08:34 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
You both are missing the point. Tesla said in 2016 (not 2019) that all the cars had the hardware to run FSD whenever it would be implemented. Now, they are asking some to pay again for something they were told they had already purchased.
Originally Posted by Blaze876
This! How is it legal to tell customers your car has all the components to do self driving then fast forward a few years and tesla says gotcha! You must pay us $1,000 for the component to do self driving.
I understand your point, I just disagree that it is a big deal. Subscription didn't exist years ago when these cars were made. Owners have known for 2+ years that their cars required an upgrade for FSD and they'd get HW for free if they bought the package.
There is some fault on both sides here, Tesla mostly for selling FSD that didn't exist and still doesn't, and consumers feeling entitled to new features or options years after buying.
Old 07-22-21, 12:38 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
I understand your point, I just disagree that it is a big deal. Subscription didn't exist years ago when these cars were made. Owners have known for 2+ years that their cars required an upgrade for FSD and they'd get HW for free if they bought the package.
There is some fault on both sides here, Tesla mostly for selling FSD that didn't exist and still doesn't, and consumers feeling entitled to new features or options years after buying.
There is no entitlement on the customer's part. That's not a new features or option. 2016+ cars were sold as having everything needed for FSD when it arrives. It's not the customers fault Tesla took WAY longer than expected to get this rolling and didn't anticipate changes needed to hardware. Completely on Tesla. Creating a subscription service doesn't absolve them of blame. Makes no difference. It's all about the hardware.
Old 07-22-21, 12:49 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
You both are missing the point. Tesla said in 2016 (not 2019) that all the cars had the hardware to run FSD whenever it would be implemented. Now, they are asking some to pay again for something they were told they had already purchased.
As a person who has EAP on HW2.5, I'm one of those who would have to pay to get HW3. I think Tesla painted themselves into a corner when they realized they would need newer hardware and played their hand as best as they could, from a practical standpoint. Those who purchased the FSD package would receive the new HW (and all future upgrades), while those who didn't were hardware and/or software locked from the capability, so it made less sense to retrofit the former. Now that the sub exists and presents a different path to FSD, it no longer allows them to use that loophole, and so I agree, Tesla stumbled here.

Word is HW4 is on the horizon, and so this will come up again for anyone who hasn't already purchased the FSD package. For now, I'm just going to wait until more exclusive features roll out for FSD, since there isn't much to differentiate it at this stage.

Originally Posted by sg021
I also don't think it's a big deal, but I don't fault consumers or think they're being entitled. IMO, this situation was inevitable from the time HW3 was mentioned (since any car that didn't have it, was no longer FSD capable), while the necessary sub service eventually forced their hand and revealed the holes in their rollout. I think it was an honest oversight by Tesla and they should be pressed on it.

I think their bigger hurdle is really showcasing the value in FSD. Since there isn't really anything else like it (even in current form), owners and non-owners alike are having a tricky time determining its worth and it's constantly evolving at a rapid pace, both in terms of tech and price. Personally, I'd have waited until the city street functionality was released to the public, to at least differentiate the feature set further, before the last price hike.
Old 07-22-21, 06:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
He was targeting anyone with a Tesla, not FSD. Also, I've never defended FSD...its a beta product that people buy because they are tech enthusiasts. They should just offer Enhanced Autopilot which is just the freeway stuff with lane changes. All the future city stuff isn't worth it.
Oh I didn't realize he was messing with everyone in a Tesla not just people zoned out in FSD mode. Yeah that's hilarious, it's like a civic messing with my A8 lol! Fail

Speaking of the ACC and lane keep in said A8 is very "meh"
Old 07-23-21, 10:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Do EV drivers get picked on in other parts of the country? Doesn't apply here in California as its as common to drive an EV as it is a BMW.
not sure what you mean specifically by 'picked on', but every so often on CL we have a usual "drivers of X suck" thread (typically bmws, mustangs, hell even subarus, and so on) - all bogus, there's horrible drivers of every make, model and year of cars out there.

Originally Posted by Lets Drive
As a person who has EAP on HW2.5, I'm one of those who would have to pay to get HW3. I think Tesla painted themselves into a corner when they realized they would need newer hardware and played their hand as best as they could, from a practical standpoint. Those who purchased the FSD package would receive the new HW (and all future upgrades), while those who didn't were hardware and/or software locked from the capability, so it made less sense to retrofit the former.
i've tried a couple of times to understand what you wrote here, but need help.
what do you mean by "it made less sense to retrofit the former"? less sense to whom? and in what way? and if the owners with fsd packages were entitled to it, why wouldn't they upgrade?

Now that the sub exists and presents a different path to FSD, it no longer allows them to use that loophole, and so I agree, Tesla stumbled here.
what loophole?
Old 07-23-21, 10:30 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure what you mean specifically by 'picked on', but every so often on CL we have a usual "drivers of X suck" thread (typically bmws, mustangs, hell even subarus, and so on) - all bogus, there's horrible drivers of every make, model and year of cars out there.

i've tried a couple of times to understand what you wrote here, but need help.
what do you mean by "it made less sense to retrofit the former"? less sense to whom? and in what way? and if the owners with fsd packages were entitled to it, why wouldn't they upgrade?

what loophole?
Not arguing whether there are sucky drivers of other makes. Of course there are. I'm asking whether EV drivers in other areas of the US get "picked on", harassed etc. by drivers in that region which is a completely different topic.
Old 07-23-21, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Not arguing whether there are sucky drivers of other makes. Of course there are. I'm asking whether EV drivers in other areas of the US get "picked on", harassed etc. by drivers in that region which is a completely different topic.
How would anyone possibly know this?
Old 07-23-21, 10:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
How would anyone possibly know this?
Its fairly easy to observe in that region if you frequently commute. Its an ask if any forum members have seen it...not really difficult to understand. I see Prius drivers regularly lounging in the left lane...easily observed and annoying as hell. I see Mustang drivers doing crazy crap regularly, again easily observed. A forum member admitted they mess with Teslas whenever they see them on the highway so I was asking if this stuff happens or is observed whenever they see EVs on the road. I don't see this California but EVs are common here.
Old 07-23-21, 10:49 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Its fairly easy to observe in that region if you frequently commute. Its an ask if any forum members have seen it...not really difficult to understand. I see Prius drivers regularly lounging in the left lane...easily observed and annoying as hell. I see Mustang drivers doing crazy crap regularly, again easily observed. A forum member admitted they mess with Teslas whenever they see them on the highway so I was asking if this stuff happens or is observed whenever they see EVs on the road. I don't see this California but EVs are common here.
I've never been harassed or picked on. I live in Ontario, Canada.
Old 07-23-21, 11:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Tesla drivers I encounter are the most stealth in my experience. BMW drivers are the most noticeable if you know what I mean. In these parts there is a fair bit of hate for Tesla, most people I talk to say batteries are far worse for the environment than oil.
Old 07-23-21, 11:09 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla drivers I encounter are the most stealth in my experience. BMW drivers are the most noticeable if you know what I mean. In these parts there is a fair bit of hate for Tesla, most people I talk to say batteries are far worse for the environment than oil.
I think that view is mainly because Alberta produces oil.
Old 07-23-21, 11:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
BMW drivers are the most noticeable if you know what I mean. I.
What is so noticeable about BMW drivers?
Old 07-23-21, 11:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I think that view is mainly because Alberta produces oil.
Likely.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What is so noticeable about BMW drivers?
https://insurify.com/insights/car-mo...udest-drivers/
Old 07-23-21, 11:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I thought this was something you had noticed. Didn't know there these sites exist.

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion