EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 05:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Default Tesla "full self driving" discussion

Not very confidence inspiring. the release notes of the Full Self-Driving limited access update states:

it may "do the wrong thing at the worst time, so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent."

"Use Full Self-Driving in limited Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations."

"The cabin camera above your rearview mirror can now determine driver inattentiveness and provide you with audible alerts, to remind you to keep your eyes on the road when Autopilot is engaged."

not everyone can easily get the Full Self-Driving update. It requires Tesla customers to sign up for the Early Access Program waitlist. Musk also confirmed, via Twitter, that while the recent beta update fixed some known issues, to "please be paranoid."

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/tesla...-at-worst-time

Old 07-14-21, 05:44 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts

I know someone who routinely reads books while letting his tesla autopilot. He does it so often he's been ticketed multiple times for it, so he claims (as if this should be a point of pride heh).

Weird feeling waiting for that phone call to come. You'll never convince me to not pay full attention even if something is good at self driving until all things are good at self driving. Probably won't be in my lifetime.
Old 07-14-21, 06:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Warnings are accurate, sometimes FSD beta does stupid things. That's why it's in beta, and the only way it will improve is real world testing. Beta 9 is far better than beta 8.xx which had no hope of driving in situations beta 9 is and it's all being done with vision no radar no lidar just cameras. The virtual 3D space viewer is super cool and the way the AI recognizes and maps out objects is scary good, but rough around the edges. Sometimes it flat out doesn't respond to objects it should. Hence the clear warnings. The massive advantage vision has it can discern between a car, a post, a dog, a person just like a human. Radar and lidar can't do this it has to be supplemented by vision which means you have to code the computer to decide which is correct, vision or the other sensors. That's why phantom braking kept happening (it still happens frequently with other auto makers systems).

The usual suspects will dump on Tesla and say Elon is a bad man and all that, but if you put that aside and look at what's really happening we are seeing a real time AI network learning how to drive. Kinda mind blowing actually.
Old 07-14-21, 06:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't worry, they will fix everything in beta 883277432.2993 - two more weeks, lol.
Old 07-14-21, 06:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Love this jalopnik article mocking Tesla, especially the part with "rabid Telsa fans". Lot of good fun and insight.

https://jalopnik.com/elon-musk-didnt...ntent=jalopnik
Old 07-14-21, 08:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Old 07-14-21, 08:36 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 680 Likes on 425 Posts

So pushing the envelope by building cutting edge technology is hard?

Who’d a thunk it!?!?

And it wouldn’t be America if literally everything didn’t come with a bunch of caveats and warnings mandated by legal…

warning - contents may be hot!
Old 07-14-21, 09:00 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 531 Likes on 361 Posts

Given that idiots have done things to override the AP safeguards, the warnings had to get more stringent.
Old 07-15-21, 06:26 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Warnings are accurate, sometimes FSD beta does stupid things. That's why it's in beta, and the only way it will improve is real world testing. Beta 9 is far better than beta 8.xx which had no hope of driving in situations beta 9 is and it's all being done with vision no radar no lidar just cameras. The virtual 3D space viewer is super cool and the way the AI recognizes and maps out objects is scary good, but rough around the edges. Sometimes it flat out doesn't respond to objects it should. Hence the clear warnings. The massive advantage vision has it can discern between a car, a post, a dog, a person just like a human. Radar and lidar can't do this it has to be supplemented by vision which means you have to code the computer to decide which is correct, vision or the other sensors. That's why phantom braking kept happening (it still happens frequently with other auto makers systems).

The usual suspects will dump on Tesla and say Elon is a bad man and all that, but if you put that aside and look at what's really happening we are seeing a real time AI network learning how to drive. Kinda mind blowing actually.
Good summary and indeed it is mind blowing - I've watched some videos and it's scary and very impressive all at the same time.
Old 07-15-21, 07:28 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

How could he not realize how hard it would be?
Old 07-15-21, 11:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
it's scary and very impressive all at the same time.
indeed... i've no doubt the main difficulties will be solved in the next few years. my issue is that people paid $10K to be beta testers. i get that tesla needs the money, but i think they could have gone about raising it differently.
Old 07-15-21, 04:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Last few days been watching videos from this YT creator's site. The AI Tesla is implementing seems pretty interesting and for some instances very useful. OTOH the publicity for various errors get well publicized.

Wham Baam Teslacam
https://www.youtube.com/c/WhamBaamTeslacam/videos

Old 07-16-21, 11:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
y issue is that people paid $10K to be beta testers..
Waste of money. IMO
Old 07-17-21, 06:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Waste of money. IMO
I agree, if I bought a Tesla no way I’m paying $10k for a half baked option.
Old 07-17-21, 08:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Tesla full self driving subscription

So now instead of $10k for the feature you can pay 'just' $199 a MONTH for it.

https://www.thestreet.com/tesla/news/tesla-releases-full-self-driving-subscription

Quick Reply: Tesla "full self driving" discussion