EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla to open up their Supercharger network to other auto makers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 07:40 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I wouldn’t mind a daily EV but for traveling, no way. I don’t want to make the deciding factor of a hotel around whether it has a charger. I’m sure the network will get better over time but not right now. My sister lives in Brooklyn and I would never take an EV up there, too much of a hassle.
I understand the sentiment, I'm pretty sure I used to think the same way. Gas is very brainless , you just go and in most cases know there's gas somewhere close by when you need it. You don't have that assurance with electric, which is unsettling in that you now have the need to plan. If it's the only car you own then it's more concerning since you must find something that works. We have a gas SUV, so sometimes we go SUV, sometimes Tesla. It's actually the best of both worlds.
On the trip I described since the Tesla is a better drive and the destination charger eliminated the need for a supercharger stop while also saving us money it was an easy decision. That was a couple years ago. I took a close look at the supercharger map and it has expanded a lot on the east coast since even that time. If they could get other OEMs to invest in it, they could really blanket the area near me.
NYC has good density of superchargers, we take the Tesla when we go to Manhattan. If I was coming from eastern MD (looks like that's maybe where you are) we'd definitely take the Tesla and hit the supercharger for about 20 minutes both directions along 95.
That said, we have a third child now so the days of long family trips in the Model 3 are largely behind us and it's going to be mainly a commuter car.

Last edited by sg021; 07-23-21 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 08:05 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Why is it waving the white flag, rather than supporting the faster growth of the EV industry as a whole?
It can't be both? Other auto makers are going to fund Tesla expanding their charging network making it better for everyone and at the same time Tesla branding is going to grow. Imagine Toyota EVs sitting at Tesla chargers I don't think anyone needs to explain the optics of that.
Old 07-23-21, 08:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

by doing this, tesla could become a charging network company more than a car company. and if they charge more for non-tesla vehicles to charge, they'll still have to be competitive, because other charging networks are going to get better. delivering electrons isn't rocket science, although yes, other networks seem to have a bunch of issues right now.
Old 07-23-21, 09:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
by doing this, tesla could become a charging network company more than a car company. and if they charge more for non-tesla vehicles to charge, they'll still have to be competitive, because other charging networks are going to get better. delivering electrons isn't rocket science, although yes, other networks seem to have a bunch of issues right now.
few weeks later we have learned that this was fake news actually - Tesla was required by some states to provide access to SC's in Europe that were funded by public money. And they will enable access to public for those chargers only - 2-3 in Norway and in Germany.

Seems like valid requirement from states funding it, and it does not change Tesla policies - they are not going to open up their network to everyone.
Old 07-23-21, 09:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Tesla's advantage is that they can rollout Superchargers faster than the others. Who knows if they pursue this path though as Elon has said things before that never came to fruition. Nonetheless, the Superchargers can't charge many non-Tesla's simply due to length of cord. The cable is just long enough to reach a backed in Tesla. Any other car that has a charging port on the left front side of their car, or right back of the car won't be able to charge because the cord won't reach . You also can't have extenders because the cable is liquid cooled for the new V3s being installed so all this may be a moot point
Old 07-23-21, 09:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
They are not for public use.
Go google these locations- they are underground garages that you aren’t able to enter unless you pay. Garages in the city all have parking attendants and you can’t just go in there lol
Exactly, and they are most likely only available for monthly customers, and monthly rent on a parking spot in Manhattan costs more than mortgage in flyover states. The in and out daily customers are parked where ever since the garages are packed, so the utilization rate of these chargers is very low. Garage owners get some sort of green tax credit, and park regular cars in the spots.

The whole electric car charging is such a meme, lol. Not everyone lives in sterilized suburbs, a quick visit to a gas station can be dangerous in sketcheir parts of towns, imagine spending hours at a charging station after dark.
Old 07-23-21, 10:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
few weeks later we have learned that this was fake news actually - Tesla was required by some states to provide access to SC's in Europe that were funded by public money. And they will enable access to public for those chargers only - 2-3 in Norway and in Germany.

Seems like valid requirement from states funding it, and it does not change Tesla policies - they are not going to open up their network to everyone.
ah, excellent post, thank you, i hope it's true.

i think tesla would be CRAZY to open their charging network to non-tesla vehicles

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-23-21 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 10:35 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

i think tesla would be CRAZY to open their charging network to non-tesla vehicles but we see here how even 'crazy' can be rationalized and justified when it comes to st. elon.
His information pre-dated the last tweet by Elon saying that he is opening up Supercharging even in the US. So the "crazy" idea is still in play. Just because we see merit in something that Elon does, do you really have to take a dig at anyone that has a counter view from you. Pretty sad.
Old 07-23-21, 10:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
His information pre-dated the last tweet by Elon saying that he is opening up Supercharging even in the US. So the "crazy" idea is still in play. Just because we see merit in something that Elon does, do you really have to take a dig at anyone that has a counter view from you. Pretty sad.
We should all be used to it by now. It has become quite bizarre when you consider the growth of Tesla since they Model S came out. Should be extremely obvious at this point Elon Musk knows what he is doing. Remember when the "Tesla is going bankrupt" thing was brought up at every opportunity? Then it was, Tesla doesn't make profit. Then it was, the competition is coming. Now, Tesla is desperate, Tesla will become a charging only company.

Endless FUD basically.
Old 07-23-21, 11:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

i think tesla would be CRAZY to open their charging network to non-tesla vehicles but we see here how even 'crazy' can be rationalized and justified when it comes to st. elon.
absolutely... I dont know how it is in US, but in Europe, that is #1 reason to buy Tesla, over anything else. Competition is either here or coming very fast, but none are building their networks.
So right now I can go on summer vacation, passing 3rd party chargers on highways that have line of cars at peak times, going to Tesla SC that are always working, fast and not so busy.
Old 07-23-21, 11:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
absolutely... I dont know how it is in US, but in Europe, that is #1 reason to buy Tesla, over anything else. Competition is either here or coming very fast, but none are building their networks.
So right now I can go on summer vacation, passing 3rd party chargers on highways that have line of cars at peak times, going to Tesla SC that are always working, fast and not so busy.
well spwolf, the first post of this thread didn't show elon's original tweet (just the reply and his reply to the reply) but here it is:

so how is this 'fake news'?

Old 07-23-21, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
His information pre-dated the last tweet by Elon saying that he is opening up Supercharging even in the US. So the "crazy" idea is still in play.
ok, i clarified with post above.

Just because we see merit in something that Elon does, do you really have to take a dig at anyone that has a counter view from you. Pretty sad.
sorry for any offense, i deleted that part of my post. however there's been endless rationalization and justification (not just on CL but everywhere) on everything tesla does, some of which is terrible if not also illegal.

Old 07-23-21, 11:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

i think tesla would be CRAZY to open their charging network to non-tesla vehicles
Seems to me there is zero demand for their Tesla super chargers by their own owners. I rarely if ever see a Tesla owner charging at them. Perhaps Tesla is losing money on all those chargers.
Old 07-23-21, 11:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

judging by twitter comments, seems this is going to be real popular with tesla fans

Old 07-23-21, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

judging by twitter comments, seems this is going to be real popular with tesla fans

so the wait is even longer?

Quick Reply: Tesla to open up their Supercharger network to other auto makers