EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla to open up their Supercharger network to other auto makers

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21 | 11:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You are using a lineup of non Tesla cars as proof Tesla chargers will be clogged. That's hilarious. Maybe because those other chargers are slow or flat out don't work half the time.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Seems to me there is zero demand for their Tesla super chargers by their own owners. I rarely if ever see a Tesla owner charging at them. Perhaps Tesla is losing money on all those chargers.
Which specific Tesla Superchargers have you been to?
Old 07-23-21 | 12:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Seems to me there is zero demand for their Tesla super chargers by their own owners. I rarely if ever see a Tesla owner charging at them. Perhaps Tesla is losing money on all those chargers.
Was it you that said Tesla has dropped prices dozens of times? Apologies if that was someone else.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Which specific Tesla Superchargers have you been to?
Any time I have gone to a shopping mall they are 10-% full. Sherway, Lime Ridge or Maple View. I have never seen them busy
Old 07-23-21 | 12:07 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Odd that Tesla keeps expanding their charging network they must be a very stupid company and like to lose money.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Was it you that said Tesla has dropped prices dozens of times? Apologies if that was someone else.
Demand for their chargers. That was what I was referring to.

But Tesla has historically cut their prices…

Old 07-23-21 | 12:08 PM
dingyibvs
Pit Crew

I think Elon is just trying to stay ahead of the game. For one, the SC network is not gonna remain a moat forever. In places other than the US and a few select locations elsewhere (e.g. Norway) alternative charging networks are already competitive if not superior in many ways (e.g. China). For two, there's clearly a move by many parts of the world to force network builders to open up their networks. It would be bad optics for Tesla to open up their network in say Europe but close them in the US, thus promoting the electrification of transportation elsewhere more than in its home country.

This will undoubtedly give Tesla some cash flow as well, though I don't know how much it would be. I'm also not too sure about the legality of Tesla charging other EVs more than their own. That might be anticompetitive behavior. Imagine if Microsoft decided to make Chrome artificially more difficult or expensive to use on Windows compared to Edge.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Odd that Tesla keeps expanding their charging network they must be a very stupid company and like to lose money.
Who said they were very stupid? It’s odd they opened up there network or are thinking about it
Old 07-23-21 | 12:11 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Demand for their chargers. That was what I was referring to.

But Tesla has historically cut their prices…
But they've drastically raised their prices 3 months in a row. Yet they still sell out 15 weeks in advance? Must be doing something right.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:13 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Any time I have gone to a shopping mall they are 10-% full. Sherway, Lime Ridge or Maple View. I have never seen them busy
Don't know what day of the week or time of day you've been to those malls. I was at Sherway Gardens around 4 PM this past Saturday and it was 70% full. Went to the SmartCenter Cambridge Supercharger on Sunday last week around the same time (4 Pm) and it was 40% full. I was at the Maple View mall the week before and it was 50% full.

At both locations, I got a pop up message on the instrument cluster (something I've not seen at other Supercharger locations I've been to) that the specific location I was at is a "High usage Supercharger location - charging is limited to 80%"
Old 07-23-21 | 12:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
But they've drastically raised their prices 3 months in a row. Yet they still sell out 15 weeks in advance? Must be doing something right.
Perhaps…still doesn’t negate that the prices have been cut in the past many many times. I never said their weren’t doing anything well. Lots of demand for Tesla’s for sure, but prices for every car is through the roof and demand is high for anything really as the semiconductor shortage has messed up everyone.

But back to chargers…seems odd they are thinking of opening them up.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Don't know what day of the week or time of day you've been to those malls. I was at Sherway Gardens around 4 PM this past Saturday and it was 70% full. Went to the SmartCenter Cambridge Supercharger on Sunday last week around the same time (4 Pm) and it was 40% full. I was at the Maple View mall the week before and it was 50% full.

At both locations, I got a pop up message on the instrument cluster (something I've not seen at other Supercharger locations I've been to) that the specific location I was at is a "High usage Supercharger location - charging is limited to 80%"
Interesting stuff.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps…still doesn’t negate that the prices have been cut in the past many many times.
Is Tesla dropping prices a terrible indicator? You bring it up often, why.
Old 07-23-21 | 12:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Any price cut for any brand is a cause of concern. You don’t agree?
Old 07-23-21 | 12:31 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand the significance of it either. Its a huge pricing advantage for Tesla to be able to raise/lower prices on their cars and have 1 price for the car as they don't have a dealership model. At this point, that model feels so outdated and slow vs. the direct to consumer model. Its similar to Apple having their own retail stores vs. everyone being forced to use carriers or Best Buy.

I think this whole Supercharger thing is also overblown. It will take significant time to update their supercharger network for CCS or to sell non-Tesla a CCS adapter. The other logistics such as the charging cable being too short are extremely difficult problems to solve. By the time this thing may take off, it'll be 2025 and the CCS network may already be much bigger than the Tesla network by that time. Honestly, Tesla is way more focused on their other initiatives like the Cybertruck, 4680 cells, and new Model Y and maybe the $25k hatchback. This thing will be on Elon time meaning well into the future.

Quick Reply: Tesla to open up their Supercharger network to other auto makers