EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla to open up their Supercharger network to other auto makers

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-21, 09:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Musk changed the world far more with Tesla than his other companies. He proved EVs are a viable alternative to ICE which enabled regulators to take the plunge and drive the transition far more aggressively than anyone should have thought 10 years ago.

At this point, he's synonymous with Tesla and EVs and is the 2nd richest man in the world because of it. You and many others may not like him but his influence to the world is undeniable.
Old 07-24-21, 09:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Musk changed the world far more with Tesla than his other companies.
well i disagree. Not denying tesla is a HUGE HUGE accomplishment. But EVs were coming anyway, tesla was obviously a first mover

He proved EVs are a viable alternative to ICE which enabled regulators to take the plunge and drive the transition far more aggressively than anyone should have thought 10 years ago.
you're in CA and so is Jeff. I think the perceived impact is amplified there because that's where tesla has its biggest footprint. I know I know, but but Norway! Well they basically subsidized them to the point that anyone NOT buying a tesla was stupid.

But musk also proved private space rockets are a viable alternative to nasa and the russians which enabled regulators to take the plunge and let spacex deliver supplies to ISS and eventually people to and from ISS - a MASSIVE MASSIVE accomplishment. Each spacex flight to ISS saves NASA tens of millions of dollars. Spacex also does DoD 'projects' and is delivering StarLink into space (already thousands of satellites). That WILL change the world. VERY few companies can do what Spacex is doing / has done. Boeing is far behind. Blueorigin and Branson's toy plane are not relevant right now (Blueorigin if it gets far enough could do some amazing things). I consider these more game changing than pointless 2s 0-60.

again, not knocking what tesla has accomplished, it's amazing. And back to the thread, it's also amazing they've built a charging network - THAT was not easy either. I honestly don't know how they've afforded that with all the real estate, permitting and legal issues involved.

At this point, he's synonymous with Tesla and EVs and is the 2nd richest man in the world because of it.
Yes those things are true, but there's public perception and then there's reality. Yes to the public he's mr tesla.

You and many others may not like him but his influence to the world is undeniable.
Never said i didn't like him, he's amazing, and an incredibly hard working genius. And i agree his influence on the world is huge, but not imo primarily because of tesla.

Old 07-24-21, 09:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well i disagree. Not denying tesla is a HUGE HUGE accomplishment. But EVs were coming anyway, tesla was obviously a first mover you're in CA and so is Jeff. I think the perceived impact is amplified there because that's where tesla has its biggest footprint. I know I know, but but Norway! Well they basically subsidized them to the point that anyone NOT buying a tesla was stupid.

But musk also proved private space rockets are a viable alternative to nasa and the russians which enabled regulators to take the plunge and let spacex deliver supplies to ISS and eventually people to and from ISS - a MASSIVE MASSIVE accomplishment. Each spacex flight to ISS saves NASA tens of millions of dollars. Spacex also does DoD 'projects' and is delivering StarLink into space (already thousands of satellites). That WILL change the world. VERY few companies can do what Spacex is doing / has done. Boeing is far behind. Blueorigin and Branson's toy plane are not relevant right now (Blueorigin if it gets far enough could do some amazing things). I consider these more game changing than pointless 2s 0-60.

again, not knocking what tesla has accomplished, it's amazing. And back to the thread, it's also amazing they've built a charging network - THAT was not easy either. I honestly don't know how they've afforded that with all the real estate, permitting and legal issues involved.Yes those things are true, but there's public perception and then there's reality. Yes to the public he's mr tesla.Never said i didn't like him, he's amazing, and an incredibly hard working genius. And i agree his influence on the world is huge, but not imo primarily because of tesla.
I see your point. We have different opinions. If Musk actually gets a colony to Mars, I reserve the right to change my mind
Old 07-24-21, 10:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I see your point. We have different opinions. If Musk actually gets a colony to Mars, I reserve the right to change my mind
i would say he has a better chance of getting people to mars (not saying he'll be successful in colonizing) than remaining the biggest EV company.
Old 07-24-21, 10:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

i would say he has a better chance of getting people to mars (not saying he'll be successful in colonizing) than remaining the biggest EV company.
What year will x automaker out produce Tesla in EVs that how many cars will that be?
Old 07-24-21, 11:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What year will x automaker out produce Tesla in EVs that how many cars will that be?
I don't know but i'm pretty confident it will be chinese. While many in north america like to see the rest of the world through the lens of north america, the truth is the rest of the world can be vastly different.

Although a smaller vehicle, the 'mini-ev' in china now outsells model 3 significantly in china. It's made by a joint venture with GM there.

... the company sold 1,048 of these vehicles in June when it launched.

Then things really started moving, with 7,348 units in July, 9,510 in August, 14,495 in September, 20,631 in October, 33,094 in November, and 35,388 in December! All this while most countries are experiencing a huge decrease in sales volumes due to the ongoing health crisis. In the grand scheme of things, this means the Hongguang Mini EV has already overtaken the TeslaModel 3 as the best-selling EV on the Chinese market.

Full article here:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/g...na-154053.html
interesting, no?
Old 07-25-21, 07:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

interesting, no?
When you say biggest you mean number of units sold. Not revenue, profit, nothing like that just volume. Do you think Tesla should make a $4,459 car?
Old 07-25-21, 07:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

When you say biggest you mean number of units sold. Not revenue, profit, nothing like that just volume. Do you think Tesla should make a $4,459 car?
i didn't write biggest, i said outsells, and yes units, and yes the 3 and this mini car are obviously not direct competitors, but let's see what's next from this joint venture too.

as for whether tesla should do that, if they want a bigger marketshare they're going to have to produce a car cheaper than a 3 and obviously there's lots of rumors about a coming "2". To compete with the mini they'll need a "0.25"

Old 07-25-21, 07:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

deleted

Last edited by LeX2K; 07-25-21 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-25-21, 08:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, okay you didn't.
give me a break - i was talking about unit sales in china, not the 'biggest company in the world', which jeff suggested earlier they could become.
Old 07-25-21, 08:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

So we are seriously discussing EVs and Supercharges, meanwhile Dell can't sell powerful gaming computers in five states due to power consumption regulations.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gami...nware-desktops
This product cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states. Any orders placed that are bound for those states will be canceled.
Old 07-25-21, 09:23 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

This thread is repeatedly veering towards the political. Knock that off and do not continue please, those posting know that is not allowed on our community.
Old 07-28-21, 11:13 AM
Zammer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I have never seen a Tesla charging station anywhere in NYC or Long Island.
There are a million Teslas everywhere so im sure they exist somewhere lol
Yelp lists 18 charging stations in Long Island.
There are more than 2,000 Tesla compatible charging stations in New York city, including J-1772, Level 2 stations. (Google)
Old 07-29-21, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zammer
only 2 sc though?

the others are yard outlets in people's houses.
Old 07-29-21, 09:49 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Zammer
There are more than 2,000 Tesla compatible charging stations in New York city, including J-1772, Level 2 stations. (Google)
Again these chargers in NYC are located in Private parking garages that you can’t access.

LI has some Tesla stations in malls but no dedicated Tesla locations.

Quick Reply: Tesla to open up their Supercharger network to other auto makers