EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default 2000 Miles in a Tesla Model 3

We've talked a lot on Car Chat about problems (and potential problems) with the practicality the of recharging and recharge-infrastructure for BEVs on long trips. Here's an interesting video, that I thought I'd share, by someone who took a nearly 2000 mile trip in a Model 3, and how he managed to plan for (and find) charging stations. He logged each stop and measured how long the recharge took, though it took a lot of meticulous planning to make sure there was always an adequate charge left for the next rest-stop. The guy sounds credible except for one thing....he says he was born in 1963, but he sure doesn't look anywhere near age 56 to me....he looks and sounds like he's in his late 20s or early 30s.

Old 08-20-19, 09:33 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

There are actually many people that have done what this guy has done. This is why the Supercharfer network was built. There is a Youtuber named Bjorn Nyland who travels across Europe in his model 3 visiting many places on long vacations. Other Youtubers have done this if you search roadtrip on Model 3 and they have easy time planning this out.

The planning itself is extremely easy as the in car google maps plans out the route for you when you input a destination. It will literally tell you exactly what superchargers are needed to get to that destination. I also use abetterrouteplanner.com. The website enables you to plan out a trip with all charging options including destination chargers and you can even tell the planner how much energy you typically consume so it can optimize the route. Basically you can travel about 3-4 hours before needing to recharge which should take about 30 minutes on a 150kw charger. I only know the Tesla network has this. If you buy an iPace, you are SOL and may 3 hours to charge.
Old 08-21-19, 06:15 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

This is the same guy that Freds430 posted a video of in the thread where the rental company decided to not do business with Tesla. In that video he took delivery of his Model 3 and was measuring panel gaps and showing paint defects/issues. His video titles seem to have a negative connotation, yet when you watch the video, he clearly likes/loves his Tesla. I appreciated his detailed logs of how often he stopped, how long he stopped, etc. and I loved his comment that the Model 3 on the 2,000 mile trip was the equivalent of his Subaru going 2,000 miles on a single tank of gas.

For me, this re-confirms that if/when I buy an EV, I'll still keep an ICE vehicle in our stable (likely keeping our SUV) for long road trips. A few times each year we will do a 7 hour trip (about 500 miles) which according to his 2,000 mile journey means we would stop about every 200-220 miles. A typical stop for us is probably about 15 minutes - in a Tesla, looks like you need to account for about 40 minutes of charge time every 200ish miles, which would be 80 minutes of stopping on our trip and therefore add about 50 minutes of travel time. I'd probably opt to not do that as I really like to get where I'm going on most trips, especially when the kids are with us.

However, I'd certainly consider a 300 mile trip because it seems like you can go 200 miles and do a quick 15-20 minute charge to get you to about 65% which would be more than enough to go another 100 miles and then just fully charge once you get to your destination. Based on where I live in FL, I can get to about 90% of the tropical/beach destinations we love in under 300 miles. A Tesla or similar EV would be perfect for our situation 98% of the time - lots of around town driving (probably 40-50 miles/day) and wanting to not drive our gas-guzzling SUV on every 2-4 hour road trip. For the other 2%, we could just use our SUV.
Old 08-21-19, 08:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
For me, this re-confirms that if/when I buy an EV, I'll still keep an ICE vehicle in our stable (likely keeping our SUV) for long road trips. A few times each year we will do a 7 hour trip (about 500 miles) which according to his 2,000 mile journey means we would stop about every 200-220 miles. A typical stop for us is probably about 15 minutes - in a Tesla, looks like you need to account for about 40 minutes of charge time every 200ish miles, which would be 80 minutes of stopping on our trip and therefore add about 50 minutes of travel time. I'd probably opt to not do that as I really like to get where I'm going on most trips, especially when the kids are with us.
Why not just rent when you go on a long trip vs. keeping the ice vehicle? By selling the ICE car you won’t be paying for maintenance or taxes or insurance, etc., and that money saved plus proceeds from selling it will mean you could rent just about whatever you want for the long trips. when i go electric, i will not keep an ICE car...
Old 08-22-19, 05:59 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Why not just rent when you go on a long trip vs. keeping the ice vehicle? By selling the ICE car you won’t be paying for maintenance or taxes or insurance, etc., and that money saved plus proceeds from selling it will mean you could rent just about whatever you want for the long trips. when i go electric, i will not keep an ICE car...
Should've been more specific. We need 2 vehicles (one for my wife, one for me) - so I'm saying I wouldn't replace both ICE vehicles with 2 EV's. I'd get rid of my LS and get an EV and keep our SUV for long road trips.
Old 08-22-19, 02:16 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought a Model 3 in mid June - I have 5,625 miles on it now. Range anxiety is for people who look for gas stations when their tank is half full. You have to really work at driving beyond your range (of a Tesla supercharger). The car knows where all the superchargers are and warns you if you attempt to exceed your range. It will tell you, for example, that to reach the next supercharger you can’t drive faster than XX mph. This, of course, excludes the networks of non-Tesla chargers, which are far slower.

We take round trips of 800+ miles on a regular basis and find no added time to charge. A potty break and lunch would be included anyway - we just make sure they are near a supercharger. It does take some planning.

I have an 1,800 round trip coming up in October. Using A Better Routeplanner, I estimate about 30 minutes of additional time charging (each way) that I wouldn’t have driving an ICE car.

For daily driving, I charge at home overnight when I feel like it, and nowhere else. The everyday time saved in gas station fill ups as well as routine maintenance far outweighs the added time charging on really long trips (oils, gas, belts, plugs, pumps, coolant, starter, alternator, transmission, etc., they all just go away).

My last car was a 2007 ES 350, which I sold a couple of weeks ago with 239,660 miles on it. It was the most reliable, comfortable, and economical car I’ve ever owned. A great car. The jury’s still out on the Tesla, but right now it’s looking good.

Last edited by dreyfus; 08-25-19 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

great feedback dreyfus
Old 08-23-19, 08:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Whopping 13,000-Mile Tesla Model 3 Road Trip, Plus Cannonball Record

Its a great roadtrip car. Fast, comfortable, and it helps drive for you. They really should have called it co-pilot.

https://insideevs.com/news/366784/vi...es-cannonball/
Old 09-08-19, 07:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts
Wink 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+ Ownership Review and Updates

I never imagined buying any other vehicle but Lexus, yet here we are (again). An Audi A4, a Kia Stinger, and now a Tesla Model 3. Yes, the latter, notorious for its questionable build quality and silent lifeless sound, is now in my driveway. “Blame” Lexus for dragging its heels and the competition not, but this is for another thread… onto the Model 3.

I was always interested in Tesla for years but I couldn’t justify $100K+ Cdn for a Model S or X for their average interior materials and build. Come Model 3 Standard Range +. At half the cost, the proposition became more interesting and one test drive later, I was sold.

1. PURCHASING PROCESS

• Immediately following the test drive in early July, I proceeded with the purchase via the Sales Advisor at the sales center. The process was simple and borderline redundant. He guided me in completing the order online at tesla.com which would have been no different than if I were to do it at home., sealing the commitment with a $3K deposit.
  • As for the Stinger trade-in, Tesla works with a 3rd party auction process/buyer behind the scenes. The Stinger was assessed via my VIN and pictures I uploaded to my online Tesla account/order. I got a fair trade-in value which was applied to my purchase.

2. DELIVERY

• Original ETA was mid-August (4-6 week delivery). I expected at least that or later considering the few horror stories on delays, but to my pleasant surprise, I got notified mid July of an Aug 2 delivery. Showed up that day with my Stinger, they drove it in their servicebay and was the last I saw of it.

Next, signed a few (typical) documents, got my red die-cast Model 3 as a thank you gift, and that was basically it. No extra sales pitches, warranties, accessories, or other time wasters. The Delivery Agent setup my phone as the car key, walked me through the driving config for the mirrors, steering wheel, and a few other settings including a name for my car, NightShadeT3, and off my daughter and I were onto a first-ever journey with a full-electric vehicle.

3. OWNERSHIP IMPRESSIONS - PROS

• Build quality: Much better than I expected and what I saw from May+June builds at the same dealership. Mine, a July 2019 build did not have the pressure of quarter-end deliveries which I suspect is a contributor to the surprisingly good build quality. Not a single paint defect (unlike my Stinger, though there is some orange peel, later below), and with the exception of a couple of spots (later below), panel gaps, trim alignment, interior fit and finish are virtually as good as the luxury brands. In addition, no squeaks or rattles at this time. Finally, door slam sound and feel are pretty good considering the frameless window. Although not the bank-vault muted hush of air as with Lexus vehicles, the Model 3’s metallic higher-pitched (and louder) door-slam sound is at least vibration/rattle-free.

• NVH: despite some complaints in the owner forums on wind and road noise (earlier builds), mine is quiet, closer to an ES than an IS and a touch better than the Stinger (which was a decently quiet cruiser). The extremely low 0.23 Cd is surely a big contributor to low wind noise. Just some (expected) road noise at highway speeds enters the cabin. As for the “Vibration and Harshness” well this is non-existent. There is something very pleasing about the faint whine of the electric motor thrusting the car forward with no engine vibration and transmission shifts.
  • Power: Yes this is also the obvious one but needs to be mentioned. No lag, instant torque, especially at low to moderate speed. Hit the pedal and the rush is immediate and this is the "slow" Tesla. When you see that traffic light turning yellow, you go and make it through. Same on the highway to pass - no anticipation.
  • Operating cost: Yes this is the obvious one but the magnitude of savings is exceptional. Despite the staggered 20" wheels and fatter rubber (235/35/20 + 275/30/20), I managed a consumption of 372 KWh for 2400 km I did in 1 month’s ownership. At an average $0.10 kwh, the Model 3 cost me a measly $36 on top of my utility bill! For comparison, the Stinger’s fuel cost is a whopping $400 (91 octane @$1.35/L).

• Styling and panache: This car (or any car for that matter) with the right wheels looks sharp like a well tailored tuxedo. I ported over my Stinger’s aftermarket wheels and tires for a perfect fit with only $12 center hub adapters to add. I also added a 1.2” drop with Eibach springs for a nice overall stance and planted look. As it turns out, the Tesla name is far more regarded than I thought thanks to the positive comments from friends, coworkers, and onlookers. The Stinger though was the flashier, more "head-turning" vehicle.

• Cargo capacity and interior space: The “frunk” and underfloor rear cargo compartment adds 4-5 cu ft over the 13 cu ft rear trunk making the cargo capacity comparable to my wife’s UX! Of course, forget fitting bulky boxes. Rear seat leg and headroom very generous, a bit more than the Stinger.

• Handling: Better than the Stinger (IS and A4) - very nimble, flat cornering on the stock springs. It feels light and planted thanks to the low curb weight below 3600 lbs, low center of gravity, and 47/53 weight distribution. With the Eibachs, hardly any difference in ride and handling (not a good or bad thing).

• Ride comfort: More positive than negative though this is not a Lexus in comfort. Impact over bumps/road imperfections is on the firmer side but not harsh, a touch more than the Stinger and IS F Sport and closer to the RC F. Seats are comfy though borderline a touch too soft and sofa-like - the Lexus F / F Sport seats are second to none in the industry for overall comfort and support (for me). As a side note and a partial contributor to the firmer ride, the tires are to be inflated to 45 psi and if below 40 psi, the annoying TPMS alert is displayed on the screen. Overall, the suspension setup is a good compromise between nimble handling and ride comfort.
  • Daily Charging: using the standard charger which comes with the car, plugged into a standard 110V in my garage. It is surprisingly sufficient for my use case as it charges between 7-9 km/hr which is sustainable to my daily consumption of about 80-100 km. I plug it in the evening and charges overnight for 10-12 hours. At this time, I have no use to get an electrician to install a 220V/40amp circuit to get 4x the charging speed.

• Supercharging: I have 1500km free from the Tesla referral program and I have used it just once to charge about 150km capacity which took 20 mins or so. If and when I surpass my free credits, it simply automatically charges my credit card on file (tied to my account which is tied to my car). No cash or cards to pull out, payments and PINs to punch in at the Supercharger station. It’s brilliant and seamless - you just grab the charger, press the charger button to open the charger port on your car, and plug it in!
    • Supercharger locations are also easily located and displayed on the car’s NAV which is a nice backup to your 110V daily charging if and when you need to replenish charge more quickly than the standard 110V charging can provide. On a trip, it will include Supercharger locations/stops so you need not worry about being stranded.

• The Navigation Software: Although my car does not have the visual flair of the satellite maps which is reserved for Long Range or Dual Motor Model 3s, its usage is very easy and accurate. If fact, I’ve stopped using Waze! Typing (forget voice commands) a destination or POI is easy and the system has not failed me once. For instance, typing a local grocery store or park finds it quickly and off we go. In the Lexus for instance, it more-often-than-not requires the actual address (or intersection) to be entered to find it. Finally, it has built-in traffic awareness which is spot-on with Waze’s route. Of course, unlike Waze, there is no cops or road hazard awareness with the Tesla.
  • Daily Ease of use:
    • Once you adjust to the awkward operation of the door handles, the rest is routine.
    • You quickly get used to not having to push any start/stop button in the car and is actually more convenient not having a key fob in your pocket and only your phone (which you always carry anyway).
    • Simply flick the MB-derived stalk down into D and off you go.
    • Operating the radio and HVAC controls on screen is intuitive and not cumbersome as I feared it may have been.
    • The MB-derived left stalk operates the turn signal and courtesy wipe (windshield).
    • The aggressive regenerative braking is quick to get used. It is a godsend as you barely ever use the brakes (>100k miles longevity for the brake pads is what Tesla owners claim).
    • Autopilot (radar cruise) activation/deactivation is a simple flick down of the gear selector stalk. Two flicks to also enable AutoSteer.
    • Somewhat similar to Lexus, there’s the “Easy Exit” where the steering wheel automatically lifts up.
    • The "Vegan" leather is not real leather and seems durable enough. It also cleans easily despite my white interior.
    • Just like the routine with your your smart phone that becomes second nature, you plug your car daily to charge it up!

4. OWNERSHIP IMPRESSIONS - CONS

• Poor water diversion: the excellent aerodynamics comes with a price - no water channels! Forget having your windows slightly opened when raining since the water from the roof will come pouring in on the door panel and the driver! Similarly, water on the rear window goes gushing in the trunk when opened.
  • Build quality: Although surprisingly very good and I also have this in my “Positive” list above, the build quality is not quite up to Lexus standards. What fits and is finished well is Lexus-like, but there are still some defects I have noticed to this date: uneven hood gap, rear bumper cover not flush, water in tail lamp, rubber seal “bubble”, noticeable paint orange peel in certain areas.

• Larger tires/wheels and A/C usage noticeably affect battery consumption, 15-30% drop from city to highway speeds plus another 10-15% drop if using A/C! The stock “aero wheels” and LRR tires do make a huge difference here, but I don’t like the look and have accepted the few pennies more per trip more!
  • Solar heat in cabin: The all-glass roof is nice but, interior temps go easily in excess of 55C (130F) which make the drive uncomfortable forcing additional A/C usage. I went for ceramic tints all around including the roof - Big difference in blocking 80% of the solar heat into the cabin.

• No AndroidAuto or Apple Car Play: For such a high-tech car, this is an unfortunate omission.
  • Software issues:
    • experienced a non-functioning radio that required a soft reboot. (common issue on the forums).
    • Autopilot has nudged me on two separate occasions suddenly to the left just over the lane for no apparent reason. Needless to say, I’m not a fan of any autonomous driving and I believe it will only truly work reliably years from now once all cars and traffic signs are interconnected and self-aware.
    • Phone App connectivity to my account was gone for several hours as though I never owned the car. You need to carry the key card (which I do) in case of these glitches
    • Hands-free phone key (works via bluetooth) does not work once every few times. Launching the app then manually unlocking the car does the trick but defeats the purpose of hands-free. Turning Bluetooth on/off on the phone does the trick too
    • Running the app in the background is necessary for the phone key to work - this drains your phone battery a little more quickly.

5. MAINTENANCE AND SERVICING

• This is one of the great things of a BEV, at least on paper anyway so we shall see over time. Little maintenance except tires and the checking of your brakes every 2-3 years. Further down the road, check doors, suspension, and steering components. In between all this, you’re just pretty much topping up the washer fluid and getting software updates over the air (WiFi).

• However, I did already put in one warranty claim. The rear left tail lamp had water condensation (pic further above). The coordination of the service appointment was easy done via the Tesla phone app where I selected a nearby servicing center and its date/time. What was special is that a day or so later, I was contacted via email and given the option to have Mobile Service come to me for the repair. I gladly accepted and the tech came by my house the same date/time of my original appointment. Fixed in 20 mins. Very professional and courteous man. Convenient - made my day.

Overall, this 1 month+ ownership experience has been a revelation.

Car looks good, is practical, has good tech, handles really well, and is the new daily driver for both my commute and virtually all errands. I have never put this many KMs on a car for daily use thanks to the extremely low operating cost of fractions over a conventional ICE vehicle and I see many more KMs of use in the months to come. Stay tuned, future updates will follow including winter driving impressions.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-08-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for a great review. Was interesting to read some of the pros and definitely some of the cons. Your write ups of the cars you own are definitely at the top of the list in this forum.
Old 09-08-19, 08:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,793 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Congrats! It looks fantastic with those wheels and the drop! Definitely solves the problem of most Model 3s looking pretty much the same outside of color. It's been a while since I drove the RWD version that was available at launch, but I do remember it being fun and pretty quick. Hope you continue to have a good experience with it!
Old 09-08-19, 08:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

One of the best reviews I've read anywhere, most excellent work. I could go on an hour long tangent about Lexus farting around with hybrids instead of going fully electric I've lost a lot of respect for Lexus recently.
Old 09-09-19, 04:42 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What a wonderful and detailed review. Must have taken you some time to put together. Thanks for doing it and sharing! I look forward to further updates. With the cooler weather coming do you plan on doing a winter wheel/tire set up or running what you have thru the winter?
Old 09-09-19, 05:17 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What made you decide to get rid of the Stinger if I might ask?
Old 09-09-19, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Want to take over reviews, Corrado? I think you just put me out of business. Superb review .....looks like something Alex Dykes would have come up with.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)