EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-19, 06:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Great to hear you are enjoying the car. Thanks for the update.

A close friend of mine has one and loves it. Loves it so much she put down a deposit for a Model Y to trade her MDX in for.
Old 09-09-19, 08:37 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats on the car!

i test drove my first Tesla this weekend - it was DualMotor AWD Model 3.
It was really impressive! The power delivery, handling, and ride quality exceeded my expectations. They basically gave me the car for 30mins unsupervised - i drove it on some twisty roads and it is really fun to drive.
The steering is heavy (had it set to sport) and direct - just how i prefer.
The tech screen and various options is a revelation. Very intuitive and better than any other system - great NAV and rear camera.
Negatives - cheap interior materials, ugly design inside, exterior design is not great, build quality inferior to competitors $40k cars. Daily charging is a huge inconvenience.
Old 09-09-19, 08:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Congrats on the car!

It was really impressive! The power delivery, handling, and ride quality exceeded my expectations. They basically gave me the car for 30mins unsupervised - i drove it on some twisty roads and it is really fun to drive.
The tech screen and various options is a revelation. Very intuitive and better than any other system - great NAV and rear camera.
Negatives - cheap interior materials, ugly design inside, exterior design is not great, build quality inferior to competitors $40k cars. Daily charging is a huge inconvenience.
Its too bad you didn't get to drive the Performance version as it ratchets everything up a notch. I don't find the daily charging an inconvenience at all but you may. However, you don't have to daily charge the car as it has 310 miles of rated range. In real world driving, it gets down to 250 miles if you drive it fast and about 200 miles if you only want to keep it charged between 15-80%. Some people do it every 3 days but most don't find it inconvenient to charge every day. Of course, having a garage is essential...wouldn't dream of owning this car without the garage.
Old 09-09-19, 09:48 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only the SR+ qualifies for the $5000 federal incentive in Canada, so it makes it more attractive IMO.
Old 09-09-19, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

thanks so much for sharing... great info.

is it just the angle or is the side pic of your car showing the rear seat cushion is considerably higher than the front?

also, is that your garage?
Old 09-09-19, 10:53 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Great review Corrado. You touched on everything I was curious about and more. I wasn't expecting you to like the vehicle as much as you say after all those build quality issues you posted before. I'm happy it has turned out to be so good.

From the photos it looks like you have a nice Tesla shop. (not a dealership) I don't think we have one in our area, I haven't found one yet anyway. I did find a service center in a warehouse where they were repairing the cars though. I haven't asked if I could test drive one there yet. I'm not ready, but there may be one in the future. I still have a lease to burn.

Your nightshadeT3 looks beautiful, thanks for posting.
Old 09-09-19, 11:32 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Awesome review, thanks for sharing. My company actually considered the Model 3 for our company cars but Tesla doesn't offer fleet options bummer. These cars have grown on me took a ride along in one with the top performing motor owned by a cousin in NY and I was very impressed but then again I like anything fast lol.
Old 09-09-19, 05:12 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks for the review.

I would like to know, in addition to the other tesla owners here for the feedback, is the 3 totally dead if the screen goes caput?

Is there a fail safe when it does?
Thanks.
Old 09-09-19, 05:17 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Thanks for the review.

I would like to know, in addition to the other tesla owners here for the feedback, is the 3 totally dead if the screen goes caput?

Is there a fail safe when it does?
Thanks.
You keep driving. I rebooted my screen while i was driving before and it had no impact on the drive ability of the car. No worries.
Old 09-09-19, 06:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks for a great review. Was interesting to read some of the pros and definitely some of the cons. Your write ups of the cars you own are definitely at the top of the list in this forum.
Thanks Jill!

Originally Posted by arentz07
Congrats! It looks fantastic with those wheels and the drop! Definitely solves the problem of most Model 3s looking pretty much the same outside of color. It's been a while since I drove the RWD version that was available at launch, but I do remember it being fun and pretty quick. Hope you continue to have a good experience with it!
Thanks! Yes wheels and gap make a big difference, Completes the look.

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
One of the best reviews I've read anywhere, most excellent work. I could go on an hour long tangent about Lexus farting around with hybrids instead of going fully electric I've lost a lot of respect for Lexus recently.
Thanks! I will say that when Lexus brings an EV to market, I will definitely be checking it out.

Originally Posted by TripleL
What a wonderful and detailed review. Must have taken you some time to put together. Thanks for doing it and sharing! I look forward to further updates. With the cooler weather coming do you plan on doing a winter wheel/tire set up or running what you have thru the winter?
Thanks! Took a couple hours . I bought winters. A definite must for RWD in the snow belt...

Originally Posted by venom21
What made you decide to get rid of the Stinger if I might ask?
No particular reason. I like to change cars! Stinger was a fantastic car but in all honesty, was getting pricey on fuel and the return of the $5K federal incentive, was a big factor.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Want to take over reviews, Corrado? I think you just put me out of business. Superb review .....looks like something Alex Dykes would have come up with.
MM I can't come close to your breadth of car knowledge!

Originally Posted by JDR76
Great to hear you are enjoying the car. Thanks for the update.

A close friend of mine has one and loves it. Loves it so much she put down a deposit for a Model Y to trade her MDX in for.
Thanks. We really like the UX but we may consider the Y too in 2 years or so , or if by some miracle, Lexus has an EV.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Congrats on the car!

Glad you liked it. Too bad it's 20K more in Canada when factoring in taxes and no federal rebate, else I would have bought it if it was less than an $8K premium.

Originally Posted by venom21
Only the SR+ qualifies for the $5000 federal incentive in Canada, so it makes it more attractive IMO.
Absolutely and has nudged me to buy it!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks so much for sharing... great info.

is it just the angle or is the side pic of your car showing the rear seat cushion is considerably higher than the front?

also, is that your garage?
Thanks! Angle mostly but it is higher though.
That's the window tint shop, I wish that was my garage! . My garage is the other pic with the red wall and charger.

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Great review Corrado. You touched on everything I was curious about and more. I wasn't expecting you to like the vehicle as much as you say after all those build quality issues you posted before. I'm happy it has turned out to be so good.

From the photos it looks like you have a nice Tesla shop. (not a dealership) I don't think we have one in our area, I haven't found one yet anyway. I did find a service center in a warehouse where they were repairing the cars though. I haven't asked if I could test drive one there yet. I'm not ready, but there may be one in the future. I still have a lease to burn.

Your nightshadeT3 looks beautiful, thanks for posting.
Thanks Roger. I rolled the dice on the build quality and thankfully my particular car has very few (and minor) defects. In fact, fewer than the Stinger come to think of it. Enjoy your lease in the interim.

Originally Posted by plex
Awesome review, thanks for sharing. My company actually considered the Model 3 for our company cars but Tesla doesn't offer fleet options bummer. These cars have grown on me took a ride along in one with the top performing motor owned by a cousin in NY and I was very impressed but then again I like anything fast lol.
Thanks! Didn't know Tesla turned down fleet sales.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-09-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 07:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
You keep driving. I rebooted my screen while i was driving before and it had no impact on the drive ability of the car. No worries.
I did mine when stopped in Park as it was the first time so wasn't sure. Good to know you can do it while driving!
Old 09-09-19, 07:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I did mine when stopped in Park as it was the first time so wasn't sure. Good to know you can do it while driving!
I think the driving settings are flashed into some other computer that isn't impacted by the center screen when it goes haywire. I wouldn't risk autopilot when rebooting though
Old 09-09-19, 07:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

all battery life theory/conjecture/discussion moved to its own thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...longevity.html
Old 09-11-19, 12:19 PM
npestana
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations, good luck with your Model 3. I'm jealous. Hope to get one soon.
Old 09-11-19, 08:27 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I see, thanks.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks! I will say that when Lexus brings an EV to market, I will definitely be checking it out.
I have more faith that toyota will do it first than lexus. We know how fast lexus moves

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)