EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 08:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Compared to the average 8 or 10 speed auto transmission that thing is dead simple. Never mind the gas engine and ancillary components.

...on the guys pulling that thing apart, good lord they are completely clueless.
Old 11-05-19, 01:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

That second video was idiocracy right there.
guy has 6.75M subscribers and that video has 1.6M views.
to watch an idiot smash apart a tesla model s motor with absolutely no clue what he’s looking at.
oohing and aahing over things he doesn’t understand because they ‘look cool’.
making connections between things seen and aspects of teslas with zero knowledge.
oh and yeah, the guy has an s class. Probably because he makes lots of money on youtube. Making idiocracy videos.
i can see his son has such a great role model.

ugh
Old 11-05-19, 07:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,793 Likes on 1,924 Posts

I enjoyed the first video - watched it already before you made the thread. It's interesting... the owner acknowledges the learning curve of the Model 3, but I think that, like most new car things, time dispatches with any difficulty in usability. Take the Lexus Remote Touch controllers for instance.

The Model 3 seems like a lot of fun to own/drive, but I still worry about range. Maybe if it's strictly my daily driver, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-05-19, 07:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
That second video was idiocracy right there.
Oh, I agree it made little sense ....that's not why I posted it. It was interesting to see the inside of one of the most sophisticated electric motors on the planet, though. And it gives an insight into why these vehicles have the price-tag and power-levels they do.

Old 11-05-19, 07:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Compared to the average 8 or 10 speed auto transmission that thing is dead simple. Never mind the gas engine and ancillary components.
Those trannies may me more complex mechanically, but, electronically, that's probably a different story.

...on the guys pulling that thing apart, good lord they are completely clueless.

Agreed it makes very little sense, but, like I told bit, that's not why I posted it. Even some clueless actions can be entertaining or informative to watch.
Old 11-05-19, 07:29 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Good video showing one year ownership. I don't see much downside to owning a Model 3- in fact, there is a ton I like about it. Trying to get my wife to go with me to look at one sooner than later. One way or another, I see an EV in our garage in the next 18 months. I've been wanting to hold out to see the e-Tron GT which is the main thing stopping me from pulling the trigger on a Tesla.
Old 11-05-19, 07:31 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
The Model 3 seems like a lot of fun to own/drive, but I still worry about range. Maybe if it's strictly my daily driver, it makes a lot of sense.
honestly, its so cheap to fly these days I just don't drive long distances (by long driving distance I mean over a couple of hours).....if I do drive long distances, like on vacation, its a location that I have flown to and just rent a car.
Old 11-05-19, 09:01 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those trannies may me more complex mechanically, but, electronically, that's probably a different story.
That's the classic trade off, far less moving parts but more complex electronics and software. The good thing for Tesla is electronics inevitably become smaller and more integrated and hence cheaper. If you ever get the chance take a look at the original Prius the electronics are amazingly dated, crude even.
Old 11-05-19, 09:05 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

In my 5 months of ownership, I've had my FM module go out. Other than that, no issues. I've done 1 tire rotation at Discount Tire which was free. I have to say the game changing feature was the Autopilot. It keeps a 1 gap car almost perfectly in bumper to bumper traffic. I just zone out while the car creeps along. The acceleration is of course ridiculous...i just leave just about anything at half throttle. I've left M3s, RS4s, AMGs...nothing keeps up within 100mph in its class (nevermind the 340s and S4s...those are just slow relatively).

You won't get the advertised 310 miles. Not happening. With very conservative driving, you get about 250 miles charging to about 90%. I honestly probably get 200 miles due to my lead foot. But you never feel like you are abusing the car when you use the throttle judiciously. The car never feels strained...you can tell the motors are limited by the battery output more than anything. There are things in the interior a lot of people won't like. The vents aren't great, wind noise is loud at high speeds, you can hear the occasional rattle at low speeds because there is no ambient sound, and car needs to be rebooted every now and then

Other than that, its the best car i've every had. The driving dynamics are outstanding and the seats are extremely comfortable (not really sports seats like something you'd find in an M3). The stereo system is incredible...waaaay better than the ML i had in my IS350. Charging is super cheap and range isn't an issue in California due to the number of chargers. The sentry security system is FANTASTIC as you get to see the clowns that mess with your car It also has the best infotainment system anywhere. Nothing beats it (responsiveness, ease of use, features, etc...)

I hope others can go test drive the car and see for yourself.
Old 11-05-19, 09:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^^^^^^^ Good insight, EZZ, thanks!!!
Old 11-05-19, 09:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
In my 5 months of ownership, I've had my FM module go out. Other than that, no issues. I've done 1 tire rotation at Discount Tire which was free. I have to say the game changing feature was the Autopilot. It keeps a 1 gap car almost perfectly in bumper to bumper traffic. I just zone out while the car creeps along. The acceleration is of course ridiculous...i just leave just about anything at half throttle. I've left M3s, RS4s, AMGs...nothing keeps up within 100mph in its class (nevermind the 340s and S4s...those are just slow relatively).

You won't get the advertised 310 miles. Not happening. With very conservative driving, you get about 250 miles charging to about 90%. I honestly probably get 200 miles due to my lead foot. But you never feel like you are abusing the car when you use the throttle judiciously. The car never feels strained...you can tell the motors are limited by the battery output more than anything. There are things in the interior a lot of people won't like. The vents aren't great, wind noise is loud at high speeds, you can hear the occasional rattle at low speeds because there is no ambient sound, and car needs to be rebooted every now and then

Other than that, its the best car i've every had. The driving dynamics are outstanding and the seats are extremely comfortable (not really sports seats like something you'd find in an M3). The stereo system is incredible...waaaay better than the ML i had in my IS350. Charging is super cheap and range isn't an issue in California due to the number of chargers. The sentry security system is FANTASTIC as you get to see the clowns that mess with your car It also has the best infotainment system anywhere. Nothing beats it (responsiveness, ease of use, features, etc...)

Great Review, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-19, 10:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

Love this feedback. Out of curiosity, what other cars have you owned in the last 5-7 years?
Old 11-05-19, 11:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Love this feedback. Out of curiosity, what other cars have you owned in the last 5-7 years?
I've had my IS350 for 5 years, my G35 Coupe for 10 years prior to that, RX350, Odyssey, Civic, Mazda 3, Tacoma. I've also had a Maxima, Camry, and Supra (MkII) when I was younger. I've been trading up slowly
Old 11-06-19, 07:28 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

One thing the reviewer says that I worried about was the build quality/shoddy paint job when I got mine. Perhaps I got lucky with my July '19 build and have no visible paint defects!

@EZZ Agree with the range - not close to the stated amount in real-world driving despite a light-moderate foot, though admittedly I'm running a staggered setup 235/35/30s front, 275/30/20s at the rear with probably the least aerodynamic wheels. I'm getting about 25% less than the stated range. It should get worse with colder temps...

Old 11-06-19, 07:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
One thing the reviewer says that I worried about was the build quality/shoddy paint job when I got mine. Perhaps I got lucky with my July '19 build and have no visible paint defects!

@EZZ Agree with the range - not close to the stated amount in real-world driving despite a light-moderate foot, though admittedly I'm running a staggered setup 235/35/30s front, 275/30/20s at the rear with probably the least aerodynamic wheels. I'm getting about 25% less than the stated range. It should get worse with colder temps...

My real world range with my lead foot is 200 miles. At least I get to my destination fast to get a longer charge

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)