EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-19, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,632 Posts

I think part of the gushing praise for Teslas is that anyone who buys one is going out on the edge and not likely to dis the car as it would make them look bad.

I still think the Tesla at this point is more fashion statement than mainstream transportation.

Great innovative vehicles to be sure, but definitely not for everyone. For those that it works well for given their lifestyle and needs, that’s great.
Old 12-01-19, 08:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm assuming Model 3 and if so, what version.
says P3D+ in sig.
Old 12-01-19, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

We are still in an ‘early adopters’ phase for tesla. Almost everyone i know would not consider a tesla at all. They’re ok with gasoline, gas stations, regular dealer experience, etc.

about the thread title, Tesla may have lured away bmw and audi buyers (or those who were considering those brands) in fashion forward places like california, where tesla is of course headquartered, but I would image tesla sales in ‘flyover’ county are extremely low.
Old 12-01-19, 08:39 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
List doesn't surprise me cause the most of vehicles on it are non-premium cars. BMW 3 is the only exception but that's because it's on it's way out of being a cool car to have which it has been the case for two decades almost. I know so many 3 series owners that have never considered equal Audi, Lexus or Merc but instead it was should I get loaded Mazda 6 or Accord or stripped Bimmer. Thanks Model 3
Ye its only fact that 3 Series has never been better that it is today.
The 330i with the new turbo 4cyl now puts out 255hp/294tq. I have driven the Msport variant at length and honestly this motor is so good and actually sounds nice there is no real reason to get M340i. Anyone that can drive 330i Msport will walkaway impressed and this is coming from M3 owner. The M340i will be overwhelming for most buyers as a daily and you can’t really enjoy the extra power in most situations.

People forget in generations prior to F30, 3series sales were combined for sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon.
Now you have the 4 series which also has a 4door GranCoupe variant so BMW is the one that destroyed 3series sales and “cool” factor not Tesla. If you add 3series and 4series sales together they are really not that far off the peak years. Obviously now the X3 and X5 are the top dogs in sales.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 12-01-19 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-01-19, 08:43 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
says P3D+ in sig.
Sorry. The mobile app doesn't show sigs. I would argue that those who buy the P3D+ versions and are car enthusiasts don't buy it as a fashion statement. It's simply the fastest performance car for the money (if you want new) in the segment. It handles great, brakes great, and unlike ICEs, if I haul it everywhere, it feels like no stress on the car at all. Accelerating at 75% feels exactly the same as 25% except it's just faster. No noise, harsh shifting, anything. Complete spaceship and I love it. If I drove my Is350 the same way I drove my P3D, it would feel like I was completely thrashing the car and shifting it at 6k rpm at every light.
Old 12-01-19, 09:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It handles great, brakes great, and unlike ICEs, if I haul it everywhere, it feels like no stress on the car at all. Accelerating at 75% feels exactly the same as 25% except it's just faster. No noise, harsh shifting, anything. Complete spaceship and I love it. If I drove my Is350 the same way I drove my P3D, it would feel like I was completely thrashing the car and shifting it at 6k rpm at every light.
With my experience in a Tesla, this ^^^ certainly feels like the case.
Old 12-01-19, 09:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Sorry. The mobile app doesn't show sigs.
no prob!

I would argue that those who buy the P3D+ versions and are car enthusiasts don't buy it as a fashion statement.
true enough, still (an even smaller) niche.

It's simply the fastest performance car for the money (if you want new) in the segment. It handles great, brakes great, and unlike ICEs, if I haul it everywhere, it feels like no stress on the car at all. Accelerating at 75% feels exactly the same as 25% except it's just faster. No noise, harsh shifting, anything. Complete spaceship and I love it. If I drove my Is350 the same way I drove my P3D, it would feel like I was completely thrashing the car and shifting it at 6k rpm at every light.
Sometimes driving an ‘effortless’ fast car is boring. I remember driving a friend’s 911 turbo... was so fast that it required zero skill to go fast.
hearing the thrashing IS might be considered more fun by some ‘enthusiasts’. To me, driving a ‘slow’ miata is a blast... you feel like you’re part of the engine and chassis

But clearly with EVs we’ve moved into a new era of performance. Most high end exotics now have some degree of electrification. The taycan is fabulous all electric too.

One thing i don’t know is how much acceleration affects range. Does accelerating gently help range a lot more than flooring it?
Old 12-01-19, 09:14 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Accelerating lightly vs regularly makes no difference. Flooring it everywhere vs driving it regularly takes it toll on range of course but feels similar to ice in that respect. I drive really quickly and I lose about 25% range.
Old 12-01-19, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The amount going from the Model S to Model 3 is surprising.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
The answer is very obvious some Model S buyers purchased a car that would normally be above their price range because the S was the only desirable EV. When it came time to get a new car they went with the 3, more in their wheelhouse. Model S sales were never going to maintain what they did at the beginning it was pent up demand. The S still sells well considering the price point.
There are several videos on YouTube where Tesla people who had older Model S's were interviewed about them and they were asked about the Model 3 and all of them said that if they were to buy today they wouldn't even consider the Model S and would just get the Model 3 because of the price point.

I think in part a lot of these people aren't car people, they're tech people...and what makes the Model S better than the 3 doesnt register to them. Its a similar phenomenon I saw when my wife had her Prius and I posted on the PriusChat forum. The "Prius people" weren't/aren't like people here, they're not car people. They didn't know anything about cars, or care. Their interest in the Prius was technology, not cars.

So, it doesn't surprise me at all to see people trading the Model S for the Model 3. If you're a tech person, there is zero reason to get a Model S. As a car person I would only consider a Model S.
Old 12-01-19, 10:29 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

As a sport driving enthusiast, the Model 3 is a far better vehicle in terms of dynamics. It's like comparing a 5/7 series BMW to the 3 series. The 3 actually has superior technology at this point with a better battery system and more advanced self driving hardware. I bet they refresh the S when the Plaid model comes out.
Old 12-01-19, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
As a sport driving enthusiast, the Model 3 is a far better vehicle in terms of dynamics. It's like comparing a 5/7 series BMW to the 3 series. The 3 actually has superior technology at this point with a better battery system and more advanced self driving hardware. I bet they refresh the S when the Plaid model comes out.
But that's not why people are moving from the S to the 3. How many 7 Series owners trade for a 3 Series when a new 3 Series is out before a new 7 Series? None.

The consumer profile is different than the traditional consumer profile is the point.
Old 12-01-19, 01:39 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Bogus story, BMW is doing quite well selling their cars. Many of us are still buying/leasing the G20, at a time when the Tesla fad is in full swing. I sure don't want a Tesla and if I do get an EV in the future, it's most likely won't be a Tesla. Everyone decry the 3 series, at a time when it's actually a very good product. Many fail to remember the 3er is the pioneer, without it, there would be no IS/XE/G70 etc etc.

The cars no longer comes stripped as one misinformed poster noted. Even the most basic G20 comes standard with a host of features/options. My insurance on the G20 is almost 200 dollars less than my 3IS and that has to do with the abundance of safety features that are standard for the first time in the 3er's history.
Old 12-01-19, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EXE46
Bogus story, BMW is doing quite well selling their cars. Many of us are still buying/leasing the G20, at a time when the Tesla fad is in full swing. I sure don't want a Tesla and if I do get an EV in the future, it's most likely won't be a Tesla. Everyone decry the 3 series, at a time when it's actually a very good product. Many fail to remember the 3er is the pioneer, without it, there would be no IS/XE/G70 etc etc.

The cars no longer comes stripped as one misinformed poster noted. Even the most basic G20 comes standard with a host of features/options. My insurance on the G20 is almost 200 dollars less than my 3IS and that has to do with the abundance of safety features that are standard for the first time in the 3er's history.
Where in the story does it say BMW is having an issue selling cars? The story simply shows where Tesla 3 buyers are coming from.
Old 12-01-19, 05:03 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'm assuming Model 3 and if so, what version. You have the ISF so it would be interesting to get your take on the differences between your V8 vs the EV.
It's the performance version, and I agree, most people who purchase the P model, probably care more about driving. But generalizations are always tricky, because Lexus drivers are also assumed to be non-enthusiasts, etc etc., and that's certainly not true.

I love the F, but objectively, the differences between it and the 3 get pretty radical, especially given the ~10 year gap in tech, on top of inherent differences in ICE vs EV. I autox both, and I'd say the biggest differences come into play with how each car puts down its power, followed by how much it costs to do so.The 3 is more consistent with how it responds and grips (especially in the wet), while better drivers (with better equipment, lol) tend to prove this during my track days...the fact that this occurs at such a low cost to drive/maintain, means I'm driving more, which is a good thing (from an enthusiast perspective, anyway). The V8 sounds amazing and I love the dual nature of the F, but similarly, there's also an appeal to moving in silence, followed by the electric whine when you're in the RPMs. All in all, I'll say electric motoring is going to prove more and more enjoyable, as manufacturers focus on the performance end. There isn't any doubt in my mind that enthusiasts will come around and start to consider the potential, because it's merely a different kind of fun.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
One thing i don’t know is how much acceleration affects range. Does accelerating gently help range a lot more than flooring it?
It's similar to gas cars, where it costs much more energy to accelerate faster. It's especially interesting, given electric motors don't waste as much energy on heat, meaning you get to see -very specifically- what your car spends energy on. Something like heating the cabin, launching, or traveling at speeds above 65mph really start to use more wh/mi.

To give you an idea of how much more energy hard acceleration uses, you can take a look at my wh/mi usage during a course run. Under normal driving, I use about 180-350 wh/mi, depending on weather, speeds, etc. During the run? Over 1,000, lol. The solid bar labeled "rated", is where a typical 3 is. My F would also be in the single-digit MPG, down from about 19-22 mpg avg.

Old 12-02-19, 10:53 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

I had the opportunity to drive a dual-motor Model 3 over the weekend and must say that I was thoroughly impressed. Build quality was as expected (meh, overall), however, the driving experience surpassed any expectations I had. The car rides, accelerates, brakes, and steers wonderfully and feels much sportier than I anticipated. The info screen isn't nearly as overwhelming as someone coming from a typical 15-30 year old car (both of my cars are old lol) might expect. The acceleration is awesome, of course, and speed is very easily achieved/maintained. The regenerative braking is flat out awesome once you get the hang of it. It nearly eliminates the need to use the brake pedal. I didn't spend much time in auto-pilot as I was more curious about how it reacted to drive commands... However, that too was rather impressive all things considered.

I must say, in an ideal world where money wasn't an option I'd own one as a daily driver to and from work in a heartbeat. However, they're out of my price range anytime in the near future. Overall impression - incredibly cool automobile that gives a pleasing look into the future of tech and automobiles (and how well they can coexist). ICE vehicles will always make my heart pound faster, but like most, I'm open to options that allow us to better our planet, reduce waste, and create a sustainable future for generations to come. However, until infrastructure can supply and support more sustainable energy, and these cars become more affordable, I suppose I'll keep pushing the pedal in my SC300 (with a big *** smile on my face).

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)