EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-19, 06:41 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Test out the Performance model. It will make your Stinger feel like a slow poke. For frame of reference, my buddies 340 seemed just slow after getting the Tesla.
Old 07-04-19, 09:05 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Duct tape? I have to think these must be early builds, can you check the assembly dates?

I look forward to your first test drive reaction and comment.
Old 07-04-19, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I would not be able to tolerate those quality issues. I find it incredible that people are able to.

I like quality, well made items. I don't think I own anything manufactured with so obviously little concern made to the precision with which it was made...let alone a vehicle that expensive.
Old 07-04-19, 11:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I guess I have been spoiled growing up with (and owning) imports in the last 15 years where these issues combined have totaled what I saw in one Model 3.
Imports, particularly from German makes, are no guarantee that you won't have to put up with defects. VW and BMW have both proved that. Even Lexus, with (arguably) the most carefully-assembled vehicles in the industry, occasionally lets some things get through.

Old 07-04-19, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

It's incredible people go ballistic if the color's a bit off on a cell phone for example but are ok with really shoddy manufacturing on something that may cost well above $50k

If i bought a Tesla and it had those issues i'd return it. I get why people don't, they're so enamored with having the new cool car.
Old 07-04-19, 01:07 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Believe Tesla is trying to squirt as many cars as possible to get some cash flow, and to meet the numbers promised to their stock holders. If, when, quality is considered over quantity, then I plan to buy one, ( or can wait too see how the other car makers electric cars, promised in the near future, compare to Tesla).
Old 07-04-19, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's incredible people go ballistic if the color's a bit off on a cell phone for example but are ok with really shoddy manufacturing on something that may cost well above $50k

If i bought a Tesla and it had those issues i'd return it. I get why people don't, they're so enamored with having the new cool car.
It really is amazing...
Old 07-04-19, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

That's partly what's wrong with the auto market today. Too many people buy on image instead of objectivity or practicality, and don't really know what they are getting.
Old 07-04-19, 04:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,917 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's partly what's wrong with the auto market today. Too many people buy on image instead of objectivity or practicality, and don't really know what they are getting.
This describes BMW buyers since forever. In the case of Tesla there is nothing else like it on the market that goes a long way to explain why people are willing to put up with annoyances.
Old 07-04-19, 04:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
This describes BMW buyers since forever. In the case of Tesla there is nothing else like it on the market that goes a long way to explain why people are willing to put up with annoyances.
Ding ding ding. The right answer. I have a great build but I would be willing to deal with rattles and build issues because the drivetrain is so far ahead of anything i've driven before, I'm completely converted. Its so far ahead in terms of throttle response and acceleration that everything ICE feels antiquated.
Old 07-04-19, 05:55 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

In the price range of a Model 3 build that I would want, about $68k, I would not accept these “little” defects. Sorry, it’s a cool car but $68k is a lot of money to me. Heck I bought a $75k MSRP Dodge and I knew it wasn’t going to be Lexus-like quality but even my Dodge doesn’t look like the Tesla examples and if it did I wouldn’t have bought it. It’s that simple.
Old 07-04-19, 07:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 461 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Those images are all from different cars with no context. Were the flaws fixed? Are some of them due to being damaged by the owner? Parking lot dings? Something else?
You're right, but if Teslas are going to be this dodgy in general, and this dodgy from the outside - just imagine how dodgy it is underneath the sheet metal and plastic trim which we can't see?

All depends on your personality.
Doesn't suit me.
However there are plenty of people out there who will put up with it.

Short time, it is fine, however long term, time will catch up with this type of vehicle.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-04-19 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-06-19, 04:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Duct tape? I have to think these must be early builds, can you check the assembly dates?

The builds were actually recent from May to June! I suspect the Q2 push by Elon to hit (or surpass) stakeholder expectations might have had something to do with the spotty build with each Model 3 I saw.

Though in fairness, besides the rubber seals on the interior and the squeaky rear armrest, the fit/finish of the dash, door panels, console, and seats were very good and solidly built. Even the "ipad" center display was bolted on very solidly.

Old 07-06-19, 05:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I look forward to your first test drive reaction and comment.

I had low expectations... so you know where this may be headed...

Low expectations from Tesla forums, youtube videos, etc:
- harsh ride
- poor wind and road noise isolation
- aggressive regen braking

The test drive was about 15 mins with a mix of city (smooth and not so-smooth roads) and highway. It was a Long-range RWD weight is about 3650-3700lbs.

(Model 3 Long-range RWD I test drove. The keen observer will notice our UX in the background )

My impressions, surprisingly, very positive!
- ride quality was taut and somewhat firm, but not harsh, yet compliant with well controlled body motions. A touch better overall than the Stinger. This is despite the Model 3 wearing the 19" lower profile optional wheel/tire set of the test driven model (below). And psi is set to 45!
- handling was very nimble and very light on its toes; lighter-feeling than the Stinger. Steering ratio must be very low as it was very direct-feeling almost go-kart-like which I found nice and responsive even at highway speeds.
- regen is aggressive even in the milder setting. Car's brake lights turn on automatically when the accelerator is let go so at least rear drivers know you are stopping. Not able to coast. Takes some getting used to.
- "ipad" touch screen very responsive, intuitive, easy to use interface.
- turn signal and wiper (one-wipe function) is stalk controlled which is nice so not everything (thankfully) is controlled from the "ipad".
- the stalks including the window switch gear feel very high-quality. In fact, I believe these come from the the MB parts bin.
- placing the car into gear is simple, flick up for reverse, flick down to drive. Reminded me a little of the CT.
- the visibility is second-to-none all around.
- no rattles or squeaks. Car felt very solid.
- power/responsiveness, well, we all know it is second-to-none.

As far as the negatives in the test drive:
- wind noise was at a minimum, but road noise was not. You hear the tires, almost analogous to when driving on winter tires! Some sound insulation in the floor pan/foot wells would help. Noise-levels overall is like an average compact sedan (not great especially for this class).
- door slam/closure noise and feel is bad. Reminds me of older domestic vehicles - very tinny, rattly, metallic, and hollow feeling/sounding. However, opening the door, especially the two front doors is nice as the electronic push button pushes the door ajar a couple inches.

Conclusion
- With my daughter at my side who was enamored with the car (as some of you rightfully have stated), I signed on a Standard Range Plus (SR+) Black ext with white interior (daughter insisted and I couldn't refuse). What tipped it in my favor was a better than-expected 37K as an auction trade-in value for the 50K Stinger. The value proposition of the SR+ makes sense since this is the only model for which the 5K federal rebate applies in Canada. The next long-range model (one I test drove) is a whopping 20K more and forget the Performance model (40K more, almost the cost of a new 50K SR+ !)
- Delivery is in mid-August and the timing which is mid Q3 should avoid (or reduce) rushed end-of-quarter shoddy builds (we'll see). If the build is shoddy, I will not accept it and I keep the Stinger for a while longer and re-evaluate.

So this marks the end of the Stinger run, well not officially yet until I see the build quality is good in mid-August!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 07-06-19 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-06-19, 05:39 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Congratulations!!

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)