EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 03:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Great review.

No Pros vs Cons?

Tesla drivetrain has to be experienced to be believed
Old 07-29-19, 03:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Thanks for the review, the text "problem" doesn't matter. We have about the same taste is cars by the looks the plain interior is something I doubt I'll ever get used to. But the 3 is an amazing car I personally think it's the best sedan on the road if not the best car on the road period. The instant response of a BEV makes petrol burners feel obsolete.

Another thing about the Model 3 that is amazing is the structure especially in the side impact test, best I've seen.
Old 07-29-19, 03:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Try driving the Performance model. It will blow away the AWD version...there is a big difference between 4.1 seconds vs. 3.2 seconds to 60. It really warps your sense of speed when you drive the car and then get back into a regular ICE.
Old 07-29-19, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Great review.

No Pros vs Cons?
Thanks. Several people on Car Chat mentioned they couldn't get a test-drive themselves, so I hope this helps at least some.

I usually save the complete list of pros and cons for the full-reviews....on condensed-reviews and test-drives, I generally highlight the things I find most noteworthy.
Old 07-29-19, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Try driving the Performance model. It will blow away the AWD version...there is a big difference between 4.1 seconds vs. 3.2 seconds to 60. It really warps your sense of speed when you drive the car and then get back into a regular ICE.
With the kind of traffic and road/pedestrian conditions we often have around here, even the standard AWD version, which I sampled, has more than enough power to get careless or inattentive drivers into serious trouble, very quickly, if they don't take it easy on that throttle. And careless/inattentive drivers is exactly what we have a lot of around here....many of them on their cell phones or texting.
Old 07-29-19, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
We have about the same taste is cars by the looks the plain interior is something I doubt I'll ever get used to.
Yes, cramming almost everything into the center of the dash and leaving almost nothing in front of the driver is not my cup of tea, either, but at least the nice wood-tone paneling across the dash helps break it up somewhat.

But the 3 is an amazing car I personally think it's the best sedan on the road if not the best car on the road period. The instant response of a BEV makes petrol burners feel obsolete.
I'd have to partly agree.....if one can get past some of its (IMO) annoying quirks, and has a readly-available charge-outlet, yes, it's definitely worth what it costs.
Old 07-29-19, 08:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Once again (I don't know why?) I had trouble with type-sizes not uploading evenly. This has happened several times lately.
Are you writing your review outside CL, say in Pages on your Mac and then cutting and pasting? if so, that’s likely the issue.
Old 07-29-19, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Are you writing your review outside CL, say in Pages on your Mac and then cutting and pasting? if so, that’s likely the issue.
There is no font distortion on CL mobile. But on the desktop browser there is for this review. I hope this info helps identify and narrow down the problem.
Old 07-29-19, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Could be. Sometimes I type parts of it up on AOL, E-mail them to myself, and save them...then post it when finished. I'll try it differently in the future. Never had problems before, though, and I've been posting reviews for almost 15 years.

I've got a Palisade/Telluride test-drive coming up...we'll see how that works out.
Old 07-29-19, 08:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Could be. Sometimes I type parts of it up on AOL, E-mail them to myself, and save them...then post it when finished. I'll try it differently in the future. Never had problems before, though, and I've been posting reviews for almost 15 years.
You can also type for free in Google Drive. It will act as a word processor.
Old 07-29-19, 08:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You can also type for free in Google Drive. It will act as a word processor.

Thanks.

On the Tesla 3, have you had a chance to sit in one or drive it?
Old 07-29-19, 08:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks.

On the Tesla 3, have you had a chance to sit in one or drive it?
Yes. We test drove one for fun. It is a wonderful car. Unbelievably quiet.
Old 07-29-19, 09:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Could be. Sometimes I type parts of it up on AOL, E-mail them to myself, and save them...then post it when finished.
Yikes. On your Mac you have Notes, Pages, and as LexCTJill said you can use Google Docs for free if you have a Google account.
Old 07-30-19, 06:06 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice general overview. The thing I am still confused about is how to test drive a Tesla and even buy one. The last thread was totally confusing to me. Tesla is a unique animal we have to learn about. The main thing is It depends on where you live it seems.

-What type of facility were you at? By describing it as a warehouse I have to think you were at a Tesla Service Center, as Tesla
doesn't have any "dealerships/franchises". That's why there were no desks etc, it's just to service Tesla's.

-Did you make an appointment or just show up?

Are test drives a normal feature at this place or did they make an exception for you. There is one statement that you had buy the car online then return it in 5 days just for a test drive.

If you want to buy the car what would be the process? Would you still have to buy it online?

I'll stop there I have many other questions though.
Old 07-30-19, 06:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Nice general overview. The thing I am still confused about is how to test drive a Tesla and even buy one. The last thread was totally confusing to me. Tesla is a unique animal we have to learn about. The main thing is It depends on where you live it seems.

-What type of facility were you at? By describing it as a warehouse I have to think you were at a Tesla Service Center, as Tesla
doesn't have any "dealerships/franchises". That's why there were no desks etc, it's just to service Tesla's.

-Did you make an appointment or just show up?

Are test drives a normal feature at this place or did they make an exception for you. There is one statement that you had buy the car online then return it in 5 days just for a test drive.

If you want to buy the car what would be the process? Would you still have to buy it online?

I'll stop there I have many other questions though.
There's a Tesla Store in the King of Prussia mall near me (I think, not coincidentally, it's right next door to the Apple Store).

I think they should let customers test drive the cars around the concourse in the mall--that would be really fun. If the Blues Brothers can do it, why can't I?

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)