EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 01:24 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,876 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Paging @EZZ

I don't think there's any shortage of Tesla owners in general here, but of course M3Ps are a bit rarer around here.
Old 08-10-21, 01:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundy11
I sold my 2014 ISF a few months back and recently ordered a Model 3 Performance. I'm still on the fence about taking delivery in the next month or so. The more I read about Tesla the more concerned I become. Losing 16-20% of the power below 75% charge. Power loss when it's cold or batteries aren't at optimal temp (winters here are pretty cold). I know ICE has many downfalls as well but the ability to perform consistently is something to be valued I think. I don't need an EV, gas prices aren't a concern nor is the range, my order of the M3P was more so for the performance/acceleration aspect.

So I guess the question is, has anybody switched over/had both and what are you thoughts?
I've had a M3P for about 2 years now. Let me address the decline in performance first. At 80% state of charge (SOC) and above, you'll be at 3.1s to 60. At 50%, it will be around 3.4s. At 30% it will around 3.7s. At less than 20%, you'll be above 4s as it really pares back power. Go to Tesla Owners Online and people have tracked this to the nth degree. All verifiable there.
I've run away from an RCF at 50% SOC easily. It was a massacre. Also, The 5-60 mph times are essentially the same as 0-60 so you can replicate the insane acceleration at anytime consistently without skill. Just mash and you are gone.

The new Model 3s have the heat pump but you'll still lose about ~20% range which is unavoidable. If you use it for commute mostly, not really an issue. You don't lose that much power in the cold...mostly range.

How do I like it coming from an IS350? It's easily the best car I've ever had. Way more convenient as I've never had to go get it serviced except for tires. I go through tires like crazy because of how I drive...it's putting down bout 520hp to the wheels so get rotations often. The handling is good but not great without coil overs. They made the car liveable but gave up extreme handling like an M3. The car has been very reliable after 20k+ miles but there are plenty of people with near 100k miles without issues as the car is extremely simple by nature. I don't use autopilot...I prefer to zoom by people everywhere.

I say don't worry about the experience. I think you'll forget about the ISF shortly after owning it as the performance isn't close.
Old 08-10-21, 02:21 PM
Lundy11
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've had a M3P for about 2 years now. Let me address the decline in performance first. At 80% state of charge (SOC) and above, you'll be at 3.1s to 60. At 50%, it will be around 3.4s. At 30% it will around 3.7s. At less than 20%, you'll be above 4s as it really pares back power. Go to Tesla Owners Online and people have tracked this to the nth degree. All verifiable there.
I've run away from an RCF at 50% SOC easily. It was a massacre. Also, The 5-60 mph times are essentially the same as 0-60 so you can replicate the insane acceleration at anytime consistently without skill. Just mash and you are gone.

The new Model 3s have the heat pump but you'll still lose about ~20% range which is unavoidable. If you use it for commute mostly, not really an issue. You don't lose that much power in the cold...mostly range.

How do I like it coming from an IS350? It's easily the best car I've ever had. Way more convenient as I've never had to go get it serviced except for tires. I go through tires like crazy because of how I drive...it's putting down bout 520hp to the wheels so get rotations often. The handling is good but not great without coil overs. They made the car liveable but gave up extreme handling like an M3. The car has been very reliable after 20k+ miles but there are plenty of people with near 100k miles without issues as the car is extremely simple by nature. I don't use autopilot...I prefer to zoom by people everywhere.

I say don't worry about the experience. I think you'll forget about the ISF shortly after owning it as the performance isn't close.
I really appreciate the info. The various acceleration times dependent on SOC are still very solid. Good perspective knowing you don't drive like the typical Tesla owner... speed limit or less trying to squeeze every last bit of range out of it. I've been on the Tesla Owner forum as well just wanted to get an outside view. The RCF was a possible alternative to the ISF so thank you for that.
Old 08-10-21, 06:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

I really appreciate the info. The various acceleration times dependent on SOC are still very solid. Good perspective knowing you don't drive like the typical Tesla owner... speed limit or less trying to squeeze every last bit of range out of it. I've been on the Tesla Owner forum as well just wanted to get an outside view. The RCF was a possible alternative to the ISF so thank you for that.
PM me if you have any other questions too that you don't want everyone seeing. Also, the best part of the car is the on demand acceleration at highway speeds. At 60mph, floor it and any car with a tranny will feel sluggish comparatively. Instant torque, instant power, instant response...its like driving a spaceship. Do a thorough inspection on the car. Most Model 3s have decent quality but sometimes, a Friday car with odd build quality is known to happen
Old 08-10-21, 07:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

I don’t own a M3P but all of those concerns to me aren’t really anything to worry about. With that being said, if I had a 2014 ISF I would’ve kept it and bought a M3P as a daily. The ISF is more of a special car and should hold its value for a while given it’s rarity.
Old 08-10-21, 07:22 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

I've experienced as bad as a 30-40% capacity reduction in winter (heater on, heated seats on, sub-freezing temps). Power reduction not much of an impact since I typically daily charge at home typically above 60% charging to 90%.

2 years now owning an M3 SR+ and although I do miss the melodious V8, Lexus build quality, and rarity from the RCF, I have no intention of going back to an ICE vehicle. As @EZZ said, you'll easily forget the ISF and love the incredibly low operating costs and instant power. Happy shopping!
Old 08-10-21, 07:35 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I've experienced as bad as a 30-40% capacity reduction in winter (heater on, heated seats on, sub-freezing temps). Power reduction not much of an impact since I typically daily charge at home typically above 60% charging to 90%.

2 years now owning an M3 SR+ and although I do miss the melodious V8, Lexus build quality, and rarity from the RCF, I have no intention of going back to an ICE vehicle. As @EZZ said, you'll easily forget the ISF and love the incredibly low operating costs and instant power. Happy shopping!
We also have the older versions without heat pump. The newer versions are much more efficient.
Old 08-10-21, 07:36 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by EZZ
We also have the older versions without heat pump. The newer versions are much more efficient.
True should improve range +- 10%
Old 08-11-21, 09:17 AM
Lundy11
Rookie

Thanks for all the info. This was the reassurance I needed.

@patgilm I thought about keeping it but I had to choose between the ISF and another semi rare vehicle that I am the original owner of unlike the Lexus (3rd owner). If I was the original owner of the ISF I probably would have kept it.
Old 08-11-21, 10:48 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Now we need to know what car your the original owner of?

I have a 13 ISF, and it’s so rare now I’ve had multiple unsolicited offers on it.

My next daily will undoubtedly be an EV, but I’m weird and like the cybertruck. That’ll be an eternity from now anyway. My daily is350 has very low miles despite its age.

As to cold temps, do they affect the Teslas range much if it’s parked in a garage at night that is kept around 60 degrees? I can see how spending the night outside in 5 degrees would be much more catastrophic.

As to maintenance; I have 3 ICE vehicles and one always seems to need something. They are all reliable vehicles, but between regular maintenance and service intervals, I’m always under a car’s hood or belly.
Old 08-11-21, 11:21 AM
Lundy11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Now we need to know what car your the original owner of?

I have a 13 ISF, and it’s so rare now I’ve had multiple unsolicited offers on it.

My next daily will undoubtedly be an EV, but I’m weird and like the cybertruck. That’ll be an eternity from now anyway. My daily is350 has very low miles despite its age.

As to cold temps, do they affect the Teslas range much if it’s parked in a garage at night that is kept around 60 degrees? I can see how spending the night outside in 5 degrees would be much more catastrophic.

As to maintenance; I have 3 ICE vehicles and one always seems to need something. They are all reliable vehicles, but between regular maintenance and service intervals, I’m always under a car’s hood or belly.
Not as rare and probably won't get much love on this forum. For 4 years I desperately wanted a super cab Ford Raptor that I couldn't really afford. Right around 2014 my career started to take off and I was able to sneak in an order on one the exact way I wanted it for one of the last runs for the 2014's and ultimately the end of the V8. Not the fanciest or rarest vehicle but a little more sentimental value to me. I really liked my ISF but I only drove it roughly 2500 miles a year and received a good offer so I took it. At this point I just want a fast DD that will keep the miles down on the truck.
Old 08-11-21, 11:27 AM
Jwconeil

Received 972 Likes on 630 Posts

Plenty of love for the Raptor from me. Very cool vehicle. I have a similar affinity for my ISF. Plan to keep it until I either no longer exist or I can no longer buy fuel for it.
Old 08-11-21, 12:19 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

We bought our Model 3 Mid Range RWD in Dec 2018. Too bad I didn't buy stock instead! Ha!

You will love the car, but remember they are different; Tesla has no desire to be like other car manufacturers.
My question to you is, how are you gonna charge? I had a NEMA 14-50 recepticle put in the garage. It was a 60' run from the service panel.
A union electrician came in his spare time; $600 all in including tip. #6 copper wire ain't cheap!

Also, all the EV owners I know (and there a bazillion in Silicon Valley) have another car. I sure do.
There are those who make the San Jose to LA run with one stop; I have not done that.
Depending on your needs, having another car might make sense.

FYI, my next car will be a Model 3 Performance. I am waiting for the new batteries...
Enjoy your beautiful car. Owners are rabid about them. There is a reason for it.
Old 08-11-21, 12:30 PM
Lundy11
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
We bought our Model 3 Mid Range RWD in Dec 2018. Too bad I didn't buy stock instead! Ha!

You will love the car, but remember they are different; Tesla has no desire to be like other car manufacturers.
My question to you is, how are you gonna charge? I had a NEMA 14-50 recepticle put in the garage. It was a 60' run from the service panel.
A union electrician came in his spare time; $600 all in including tip. #6 copper wire ain't cheap!

Also, all the EV owners I know (and there a bazillion in Silicon Valley) have another car. I sure do.
There are those who make the San Jose to LA run with one stop; I have not done that.
Depending on your needs, having another car might make sense.

FYI, my next car will be a Model 3 Performance. I am waiting for the new batteries...
Enjoy your beautiful car. Owners are rabid about them. There is a reason for it.
I will charge at home 99% of the time. My house is relatively new (2005) so the panel has extra 30 amp spots. And my panel is actually on the outside wall of the garage so it should be pretty simple. I have a good friend who is a union electrician at the Giga factory in Reno here so I plan to have him take care of it. He's usually very reasonable with me.

Old 08-11-21, 03:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I will charge at home 99% of the time. My house is relatively new (2005) so the panel has extra 30 amp spots. And my panel is actually on the outside wall of the garage so it should be pretty simple. I have a good friend who is a union electrician at the Giga factory in Reno here so I plan to have him take care of it. He's usually very reasonable with me.
Get a 40 amp breaker if you can for a proper Level 2 charging setup

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)