EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-21, 03:09 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Enjoy! That's the best color.
Old 09-22-21, 03:10 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundy11
Car finally arrived. Acceleration is something else. Especially being 4000+ ft above sea level, I never really got to experience the true power of any of the ICE cars of my past. Only driven it a few days but I'm happy with the purchase. Gonna put new wheels and suspension on next week.

Congrats! Even at sea level, you'll runaway from an F car with ease...its putting down 520hp to the wheels. Glad you are upgrading the suspension...the stock suspension isn't anything worth writing home about. Make sure you read up on certain tires. They can make a big difference in the range you'll see.

Old 09-22-21, 04:44 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Beautiful Model 3!
Old 09-22-21, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

looks great lundy11! congrats.

Old 09-22-21, 08:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations. Enjoy it.

I've only sampled a Model 3 once....an AWD version. Even though it was not the highest-performance version, it would easily dust off the fastest of the American Muscle-cars I grew up with in the late 60s.

This is also not a car to screw around with. There is so much torque, so quickly, especially at lower RPMs, that you can run right up the rear ends of vehicles in front of you in a couple of seconds if you are not very careful and attentive.
Old 09-23-21, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Enjoy! That's the best color.
Congrats. I agree, that color looks great on both the Model 3 and the S.
Old 09-23-21, 06:49 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on the car, a great color choice!
I myself just picked up a Model 3 Standard Range + (RWD) on 8/21, my wife (EV skeptic, former LX570 owner and current Landcruiser owner) liked it so much we ordered a Model Y on 9/1.

The instant torque, the feeling of "weeeee" anytime you want to on the slowest Tesla vehicle in their line-up never ceases to put a smile on my face. Last time I was always looking for an excuse to drive a car was when I had my 10 LS460.

Side note, also installed a NEMA 14-50 (only because I ordered the TEsla wall connector, and it was OOS, pain in the a$$ to get a refund from Tesla) for $350 installed next to my breaker box here in Dallas.
Old 09-23-21, 07:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Congrats on the car, a great color choice!
I myself just picked up a Model 3 Standard Range + (RWD) on 8/21, my wife (EV skeptic, former LX570 owner and current Landcruiser owner) liked it so much we ordered a Model Y on 9/1.

The instant torque, the feeling of "weeeee" anytime you want to on the slowest Tesla vehicle in their line-up never ceases to put a smile on my face. Last time I was always looking for an excuse to drive a car was when I had my 10 LS460.

Side note, also installed a NEMA 14-50 (only because I ordered the TEsla wall connector, and it was OOS, pain in the a$$ to get a refund from Tesla) for $350 installed next to my breaker box here in Dallas.
Congrats! Didn't know you had a Model 3. I guess you ordered a LR Model Y...even that configuration is pretty quick at 0-60 in 4.6s. Are you planning on the $2000 acceleration boost option? It will get the car down to 0-60 in ~4s flat and give you a fatter powerband. I'm gonna order a Model Y in a year or 2 when they start coming out of the Austin facility. By that time, that tax credit will probably be in full swing
Old 09-23-21, 08:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundy11
Car finally arrived. Acceleration is something else. Especially being 4000+ ft above sea level, I never really got to experience the true power of any of the ICE cars of my past. Only driven it a few days but I'm happy with the purchase. Gonna put new wheels and suspension on next week.

Congrats on joining the "buttery smooth, instantaneous torque/acceleration, always smiling" group of car owners that have a Tesla! Lol
I have a Model S (got it 2 years ago) and can never go back to an ICE vehicle. I'm totally spoiled and completely smitten with the driving experience, next to no maintenance and extremely low cost of driving it (cheap electricity).
Old 09-23-21, 01:30 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

congrats ! I have found myself few times on Tesla and almost ordering the model Y perf. I am curious compared to Lexus how you feel about the built quality. When we I drove the creeks and rattles really bother me I think the Tesla is definitely coming better and better every year.
Old 09-24-21, 09:33 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

I myself have had 8 Lexus vehicles in the past and have always appreciated the build quality of their cars. The build quality for the Tesla from what I've seen first hand and read on many reviews will be disappointing in my opinion. For that particular reason, I did not even consider Tesla on my journey to Full electric. I would not be able to look past panel gaps, paint issues, interior fit and finish, rattles etc. This is the reason I went with the Polestar 2. Coming from the Volvo S90 T8 I was impressed on how well the Polestar was built and it's driving dynamics. I also like having something 'different'. I've had the Polestar 2 for 4 months now and have absolutely no regrets.
If you are looking for an electric vehicle, the Polestar 2 deserves a look and test drive. But I can see the attraction to Tesla's acceleration in the Performance model. At the end of the day, there is a car for everyone and more and more choices are just around the corner.
Old 09-24-21, 10:43 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by MDlexus
I myself have had 8 Lexus vehicles in the past and have always appreciated the build quality of their cars. The build quality for the Tesla from what I've seen first hand and read on many reviews will be disappointing in my opinion. For that particular reason, I did not even consider Tesla on my journey to Full electric. I would not be able to look past panel gaps, paint issues, interior fit and finish, rattles etc. This is the reason I went with the Polestar 2. Coming from the Volvo S90 T8 I was impressed on how well the Polestar was built and it's driving dynamics. I also like having something 'different'. I've had the Polestar 2 for 4 months now and have absolutely no regrets.
If you are looking for an electric vehicle, the Polestar 2 deserves a look and test drive. But I can see the attraction to Tesla's acceleration in the Performance model. At the end of the day, there is a car for everyone and more and more choices are just around the corner.
Congrats on the Polestar!! From all the reviews I've seen, it seems to be an excellent choice!!👍👍

My Model S has some misaligned panels, however no rattles squeaks or anything loose. It's been extremely reliable. The feedback generally posted online will always be skewed/biased towards the negative as the folks posting are looking for help/venting. The folks like myself that have had an overall great experience generally don't post online as much. I also had a Lexus prior to my S.

As far as potential owners buying a performance Tesla only because the acceleration is great is not correct. There are tons of other reasons. Mine is not a performance model ( it's still fairly fast - 0 to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds), and the very low cost to operate it (hardly any maintenance and cheap electricity) are even more important reasons than its buttery smooth acceleration and relentless torque and the completely effortless manner in which it moves forward.

EDIT: Forget to mention that the other factors for choosing a Tesla : the most efficient EV motors and drivetrain, the best range and the second to none supercharging network that enables trips.

Final reason for my specific car is the beautiful exterior and interior design (interior is dated now) and the versatility/spaciousness of the hatchback. Looks tons better than the countless CUVs that most folks seem to prefer nowadays (for practical reasons obviously).

Last edited by Hameed; 09-24-21 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-24-21, 11:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Tesla's made in China have much better quality control, the California plant was Tesla's first attempt at mass production many things went wrong. The main downside to Tesla is the shock valving could be better.

Old 09-24-21, 11:31 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by MDlexus
Congrats on the Polestar. I say my 1st one a few months back at a Starbucks in downtown Los Gatos. I didn't know whar it was, but I knew it was new, different and probably electric.
I have seen a few more on the road, not many.
Our '18 Model 3 Mid Range has been perfect and build quality is stellar. I understand much of the build issues were on the earlier cars; they are better now.

Enjoy your Polestar! Drop a pic if possible... Especially the interior as I have not seen much of the inside, dash, etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-21, 10:06 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Congrats on the Polestar. I say my 1st one a few months back at a Starbucks in downtown Los Gatos. I didn't know whar it was, but I knew it was new, different and probably electric.
I have seen a few more on the road, not many.
Our '18 Model 3 Mid Range has been perfect and build quality is stellar. I understand much of the build issues were on the earlier cars; they are better now.

Enjoy your Polestar! Drop a pic if possible... Especially the interior as I have not seen much of the inside, dash, etc. Thanks in advance.

Thank you. I haven’t seen any PS2s and it’s been available since the end of last year. I’ve convinced 2 of my colleagues to purchase as well.
All I’m saying is it’s worth a look.

Here are some pics.

Standard 19 inch wheels

With barley leather ventilated seats and light wood accents

Google automotive

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)