EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-21, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
It’s not a hassle for you because your a RE agent with nothing but time apparently to sit on your ***.

I get home at 7-8pm daily if lucky.
Same. How is having other people doing work for you a hassle? The job you want done is a 3 hour job, maybe 4 hours if they have to install a subpanel. It’s not a big deal.

I just don’t understand what you thought “installing a EV charger” would entail. “Installing” anything in your home involves some cost and time.

I may not have any experience owning and charging an EV, but I have a LOT of experience doing work to houses, and sorry but you’re being dramatic about how much work and expense this job is.
Old 10-31-21, 09:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yes I am planning on putting the plug close to the garage door. I was talking about the proper gauge romex wire that I need at 100ft isn’t cheap.

Edit: Never mind, I see what you are saying. Could I charge two cars off of one charger if in the future I had two EVs?
the nema plug is pretty common and universal 50amp 240v plug. as long as your charger has the right adapter to this plug you can use it to charge any cars.

in my case, i only have tesla now so my tesla charger is always plugged into the nema. i have seen chargepoint having some more universal level 2 chargers, these chargers usually have the j1772 plug that you can use for a lot of EV out there, and tesla provides an adapter. i don't know too much about the charging time though but again, with overnight charging (8 hours) it's usually OK

edit: this might be obvious but of course you can't charge two cars at the same time, that would overload the system/outlet. but there are plenty of people with one charger that they share between multiple teslas in the garage, for example
Old 11-01-21, 11:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My panel is in the basement. Whether its a plumber or electrician nobody comes out for $100. I had to pay about $1,000 to route new ceiling lights and hang a few light fixtures when i was renovating my place 2yrs ago so I’m aware what prices are.

Again this is much more complex than I would have thought and definitely new process for car ownership. For those that really want an EV, I’m sure its no big deal but for me its another unnecessary hassle among many others of owning EV at the current time.

On another note, there is a new LUCID store opening by me right next to the Tesla store. Will be cool to compare these 2 brands.
I am curious about Lucid as well but they’re beyond my budget for now. Lucid CEO was the chief engineer for the Model S so there’s some shared history and a worthy competitor to Tesla. But even with Lucid you’ll need a 240V charger, for any EV really.

If an EV is in your future then check out State and local utility rebates to offset the cost of charger installation, https://clippercreek.com/evse-rebate...dits-by-state/. I believe the Federal tax credit still exists to cover 30% of the cost installing a charger.

Also, most EVs will display the location of public chargers. Teslas will list nearby Superchargers, as well as how many stalls are in use. Teslas also come with a J1772 adapter to use other types of public chargers (but they’re slower and less reliable than Supercharger stations). Also, there are apps such as ChargePoint and PlugShare to help locate public chargers and some of them are free to charge. Lastly, see if your work provides charging.

In 2019 I was quoted $450 to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in California (I already have a 200A panel). At the same time, our electricity provider gave the option of free level 2 charger installation or $600, so I took the cash. Then my work installed free chargers too but now I work at home. Trust me, faster charging at home is easily worth one day of hassle to get the electrical done.

As mentioned before, you don’t have to get the Tesla branded Wall Connector that’s $500 above the cost of electrical work. That unit charges a little faster but you’re more than fine installing a 14-50 outlet and getting the corresponding $45 adapter for the included mobile charging unit.

NEMA 14-50 receptacle:

$45 NEMA 14-50 adaptor, https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters

All connected with Mobile Charger that comes with every Tesla:

The $500 Tesla Wall Connector looks nicer but is NOT required for Level 2 home charging:

Last edited by FatherTo1; 11-01-21 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-02-21, 08:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Electrician is here right now, $350 to run a line and install an outlet in my garage on a dedicated breaker I can use down the line to plug in an EV. He did it in about 25 minutes.
Old 11-02-21, 08:47 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 553 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Electrician is here right now, $350 to run a line and install an outlet in my garage on a dedicated breaker I can use down the line to plug in an EV. He did it in about 25 minutes.
How far was the run? Under house or ? Glad you had room in your service panel. That's the biggie.
Old 11-02-21, 09:00 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove a Model 3 a while ago; a couple of things stood out in a negative way:
  • The lack of engine noise was too weird for me
  • Excessive wind noise at higher speeds (70+ mph)
  • Lack of cabin insulation overall
I may need a longer test drive for a better assessment, but the initial test drive did not leave an impression on me.
Old 11-02-21, 09:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
How far was the run? Under house or ? Glad you had room in your service panel. That's the biggie.
I didnt have room, but they were installing a subpanel for the basement anyway. The panel is on the opposite end of the house from the garage, but the room between it and the garage is just unfinished, so the run is easy. The basement and the garage are on the same level
Old 11-02-21, 09:24 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
I test drove a Model 3 a while ago; a couple of things stood out in a negative way:
  • The lack of engine noise was too weird for me
  • Excessive wind noise at higher speeds (70+ mph)
  • Lack of cabin insulation overall
I may need a longer test drive for a better assessment, but the initial test drive did not leave an impression on me.
A Model 3 isn't a great luxury car. Its premium sport and may not be your cup of tea. I can point to some better EVs for that such as the Audi Etron GT and Porsche Taycan. Also, the new BMW EVs and Mercedes EQS will be great luxury vehicles. The new Model 3/Y have laminated glass now for better insulation but that doesn't mean its as good as the German makes. The other alternative is to try a Model S which is much better as a luxury car. I doubt another test drive of the Model 3 would change your mind.
Old 11-02-21, 09:31 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t know how that is possible in the DC area. The cost of just the romex is over $350 if the panel is on the other side of the house. Was it just regular wire you ran to your garage? Also, it may be cheaper since they are doing your basement and just added on to that cost vs coming out solely to install the outlet.
Old 11-02-21, 09:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I don’t know how that is possible in the DC area. The cost of just the romex is over $350 if the panel is on the other side of the house. Was it just regular wire you ran to your garage? Also, it may be cheaper since they are doing your basement and just added on to that cost vs coming out solely to install the outlet.
Yeah remember, they're already here doing the basement job. I'm sure it would be more to do it on their own. Its not that long a run. Here's the layout and I marked where the panel is and where it runs to

Old 12-07-21, 09:04 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts
Default Tesla releases findings from Model 3 police patrol car test

Interesting results from police trial. Its amazing how much abuse the police vehicles take...need to typically replace tires at 8k miles

Seems police cars are similar to track cars on the abuse they take

Tesla releases findings from Model 3 police patrol car test

Fred Lambert

- Dec. 7th 2021 7:50 am PT

@FredericLambert

Tesla has released findings from its test program of a Model 3 that the automaker custom-built as a police patrol car in the UK.Several electric vehicles, especially Tesla vehicles, are becoming increasingly popular with police departments and emergency services.

Any type of use that requires a lot of mileage is going to benefit greatly from going electric with important gas and maintenance savings.

We previously reported on the Bargersville Police Department in Indiana, which purchased several Tesla Model 3 vehicles. It found after the first full year of using the Tesla Model 3, they had already saved over $6,000.

In most cases, police departments purchase the Model 3 vehicles and modify them to turn the electric cars into police patrol cars.

But earlier this year, Tesla decided to build its own Model 3 police cars for testing at police departments in the UK.

Now Max Toozs-Hobson, account manager and emergency services lead at Tesla, said the vehicles have now been in “initial trials with the police” for nine months that they have been “getting some great results.”

He shared the findings on LinkedIn:
  • It’s achievable to do over 200 miles of Blue Light advance driving with the Model 3. The average blue light run in the UK is about 7-15 minutes, The longest run in our cars has been over 4 hours on active deployment under advanced driving conditions.
  • The auxiliary systems have minimal impact on range, ANPR for 3 hours would take less than a few mile of range off the car. LED lights could run for days off the battery pack.
  • Chill mode & speed limiting allows the cars to be limited, allowing the possibility for split crews to drive the car on shift allowing for all officers to utilize the car.
  • Light bars are like running with a parachute! Integrating lights into the car cabin does not affect our drag coefficiency and requires no holes to be drilled into the roof which has a negative affect on the cars residual values.
  • Charging on shift works! last week I joined a traffic unit who got into the car with just 80 miles of range. We stopped at a V3 Supercharger and gained 70% power in less than 20 minutes. This gave us another 5-6 hours of driving for the shift. Plus this fill up cost less than Ł20.
  • Public response to seeing our active units has been mind-blowing, the press articles have been positive as well. As an engagement tool we’re seeing incredible results.
  • Brakes wear has been minimal, after 10,000 miles of driving the first set of pads still had 15-20% use still in them. Tires are the same as I.C.Es and need replacing at around 8,000 miles.
  • After 15,000 miles the only maintenance has been brakes and tires, no annual service schedules mean minimal running costs, time off the road and competitive total cost of ownership.
  • Tesla software updates and systems offer new ways to police, the ability to send directions to the car via systems such as what3words and Google maps will allow control rooms to send direct directions to a job. Dash cam, GPS tracking & App access offer unique potential to our cars as well.
  • Our delivery lead times and body shop offer industry leading deployment for forces to deploy new units and repair.
Old 12-07-21, 09:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,630 Posts

good stuff and great use for EVs.
Old 12-07-21, 09:31 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,025 Likes on 2,541 Posts

I have a feeling tire life will mysteriously get better after officers become "familiar" with the Tesla's.
Old 12-07-21, 10:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

I wonder how long it will take to figure out how to hack into these and at the minimum engage very low speed limiters? I'm sure there are many ways to inhibit police with all digital gear, can't wait to see what develops.

Old 12-07-21, 11:51 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm very curious to know how our police car standards differ from those in the UK. They've always used very pedestrian vehicles with minimal modifications for police work - notice they even made a point to discuss residual values. I think we're a bit farther off from using the current crop of EVs for anything other light city duty. These tides will change soon though I have no doubt.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)