EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Unfortunately it really happened as I know the person. As of yesterday still waiting on a fix, and yes, she even asked about pulling the part from another vehicle but apparently the people at the Tesla shop here are not capable of finding a part/fixing a vehicle in a timely matter.
Thanks. This should be an easy repair
Originally Posted by jwong77
Any solid data to back up this assertion?
Why is it taking this long to to fix?
Old 01-19-22, 09:13 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Thanks. This should be an easy repair

Why is it taking this long to to fix?
I don't think asking a question qualifies as solid data.
Old 01-19-22, 09:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
I don't think asking a question qualifies as solid data.
It’s about You Tube clicks.

The internet has ruined proper journalism. Seems like everything Tesla always turns into a giant controversy. So everyone runs to You Tube to post. Same thing with the Toyota Tundra and the watergate. Meh, things happen. I remember my dads GMC had a Chevrolet badge in on the steering wheel. (The horror the horror). MM could probably remember when UAW workers were putting sandwiches inside the door panels of brand new Chevrolets.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-19-22 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 09:33 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

It’s about You Tube clicks.

The internet has ruined proper journalism. Seems like Tesla always turns into a giant controversy. So everyone ruins to You Tube to post. Same thing with the Toyota Tundra and the watergate. Meh, things happen.
Really? You think this owner, with 34 subscribers to her channel, and only one video uploaded to her account, faked the video for "youtube clicks"?

I took a quick look, and it seems that you need at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 public watch hours to begin monetizing your videos. She has 34 subs and less than 200 public watch hours (71000 views x 10 seconds).

Last edited by sm1ke; 01-19-22 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added missing text
Old 01-19-22, 09:36 AM
sm1ke
Racer

I remember my dads GMC had a Chevrolet badge in on the steering wheel. (The horror the horror). MM could probably remember when UAW workers were putting sandwiches inside the door panels of brand new Chevrolets.
Yeah, these examples are on the same scale of delivering a car without a brake pad, leading to an expensive repair, and in this case, an extended loss of use.
Old 01-19-22, 09:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Really? You think this owner, with 34 subscribers to her channel, and only one video uploaded to her account, faked the video for "youtube clicks"?

I took a quick look, and it seems that you need at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 public watch hours. She has 34 subs and less than 200 public watch hours (71000 views x 10 seconds).
What I find really hard to believe is that the car left the Tesla dealer and didn’t turn back right away. That’s all. Now it’s turned into a giant controversy.

You Tubers have to start somewhere

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-19-22 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 10:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

The issue is not if the car was or was not delivered with a missing brake pad it's the response. Read the comments under that video, what is wrong with people? Yes it is possible it happened I know of a person that bought a new Toyota it had ZERO engine oil. Nothing. Mistakes happen, Tesla by the looks makes more than most but hard to say since even the smallest issue with a Tesla becomes massive news.

BTW if you don't think people will outright make things up remember the Tesla that crashed and no one was driving? Remember the response to that? The stories written? Remember the thread posted here and what a bunch of people were saying? Not a single thing was learned from that incident because people don't care about honesty or truth they care about being outraged and picking sides.
Old 01-19-22, 11:43 AM
sm1ke
Racer

What I find really hard to believe is that the car left the Tesla dealer and didn’t turn back right away. That’s all. Now it’s turned into a giant controversy.

Maybe its hard to believe because you don't want to believe it could happen. Did you read the articles? She took delivery on Dec 19/21, put "a few dozen miles" on it, then contacted the Tesla shop the following day, who told her that the noise was normal. She then takes the car to an independent shop, who confirms that the pad is missing, and that there is damage to the backside of the rotor and the caliper. On Dec 27/21, the car was towed to a Tesla facility with 112 miles on it.

Now, I guess you could argue that she removed the pad herself, the day that she got it, in order to willfully damage her own property for some internet clout. Even so, the fact that she called Tesla to report the noise and they wrote it off as "normal" is at least a little concerning.
Old 01-19-22, 11:51 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I still see no solid data, just some conspiracy theories, and baseless accusations.

Nothing personal, but it irks me when people make fact-less accusations on the internet and try to make it fact. You have an opinion on the topic, congrats, so does everyone else in the world.
Old 01-19-22, 12:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

How do you drive at all like that? Would make a horrible noise at best and you'd have terrible brakes or no brakes at all. Something is very off about the whole thing.
Old 01-19-22, 12:21 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,222 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
How do you drive at all like that? Would make a horrible noise at best and you'd have terrible brakes or no brakes at all. Something is very off about the whole thing.
You could actually stop fine other than the massive noise. You would be shocked how many people just keep driving until the pistons wear 1/2 way away
Old 01-19-22, 12:26 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
You could actually stop fine other than the massive noise. You would be shocked how many people just keep driving until the pistons wear 1/2 way away
Honestly, most people don't ever brake on a Tesla. Regen is mostly used to stop the car.
Old 01-19-22, 01:33 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The noise can clearly be heard in the video. Car stops just fine in the video (as would most cars with one inside brake pad missing would). Why would you have no brakes at all with one brake pad missing?

It seems that you also think this whole thing might be faked. How do you explain away the fact that the Tesla rep she spoke to said that the brake noise was "normal"? Nobody would ever think that noise was normal, let alone someone who works in the auto service industry. Do you also think that the conversation with the Tesla rep was faked? If so, wouldn't the named Tesla store or Tesla themselves comment on the faked conversation after a few days this story making its rounds on the internet?

Personally, at this point in time, I think the story is legitimate. Sure it could have been faked, but IMO there isn't enough evidence to prove that (at least not yet). ***** happens on the assembly line, to all manufacturers. Tesla just needs to fix it and move on. Like the story of the roofs flying off, people will forget, Tesla will (hopefully) implement or reinforce their existing QA process, and people will keep buying them as demand increases.

Last edited by sm1ke; 01-19-22 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 01:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,222 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Honestly, most people don't ever brake on a Tesla. Regen is mostly used to stop the car.
Yeah, it's less of an issue on them to begin with. I mostly just wanted to mention the shocking amount of damage disk brakes can take and still work/how stupid some owners are.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-19-22 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 01:55 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yeah, it's less of an issue on them to begin with. I mostly just wanted to mentioned the shocking amount of damage disk brakes can take and still work/how stupid some owners are.
Agree. I believe Tesla did make the mistake though as they don't have the best QA . Its always hit and miss with Tesla...i can say that most people don't have any issues (i have a ton of friends with Teslas) but some do and it is what it is.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)