EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.
View Poll Results: Tesla Model 3 Build Defects - Deal Breaker?
Yes
65.96%
No
23.40%
Maybe
10.64%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 02:22 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Really? You think this owner, with 34 subscribers to her channel, and only one video uploaded to her account, faked the video for "youtube clicks"?

I took a quick look, and it seems that you need at least 1000 subscribers and 4000 public watch hours to begin monetizing your videos. She has 34 subs and less than 200 public watch hours (71000 views x 10 seconds).
allow me to direct you to post #3 in this thread lol

and i would know, i used to make money off my youtube channel, but not for a few years now since google updated their terms... like you said one needs to reach a certain amount of consistent viewing hours to even be eligible for monetization, even my channel with 2700 subs no longer makes the cut (i also hardly upload videos)

even still you need to reach a minimum threshold of $100 before google will even send a check, i have like $52 in my adsense account i'll likely never see lol... oh well it was cool while it lasted
Old 01-19-22, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,918 Likes on 2,458 Posts

The noise can clearly be heard in the video. Car stops just fine in the video (as would most cars with one inside brake pad missing would). Why would you have no brakes at all with one brake pad missing?
Because the piston over extends falls out of the caliper and all the brake fluid leaks out I've seen this happen. May not be the case on the Tesla not sure.
Old 01-19-22, 03:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,222 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Because the piston over extends falls out of the caliper and all the brake fluid leaks out I've seen this happen. May not be the case on the Tesla not sure.
You would be fine unless you massively wear both sides out, otherwise a slider type caliper won't have enough space to pop out. Even if it does the brake system on the Tesla being a electrohydualic type, can sense the line pressure fall and will seal that path in the actuator block. At least that's how other systems I've dealt with work, I assume Tesla has these same failsafes since it would be very strange to not have them considering the tech has been around since 2004.
Old 01-20-22, 05:23 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Update, as of this morning taking my dog for a walk I see my neighbor finally has her white Tesla back, so basically they had it for a month. When I see her I will see what she has to say.
Old 01-22-22, 12:21 PM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The noise can clearly be heard in the video. Car stops just fine in the video (as would most cars with one inside brake pad missing would). Why would you have no brakes at all with one brake pad missing?

It seems that you also think this whole thing might be faked. How do you explain away the fact that the Tesla rep she spoke to said that the brake noise was "normal"? Nobody would ever think that noise was normal, let alone someone who works in the auto service industry. Do you also think that the conversation with the Tesla rep was faked? If so, wouldn't the named Tesla store or Tesla themselves comment on the faked conversation after a few days this story making its rounds on the internet?

Personally, at this point in time, I think the story is legitimate. Sure it could have been faked, but IMO there isn't enough evidence to prove that (at least not yet). ***** happens on the assembly line, to all manufacturers. Tesla just needs to fix it and move on. Like the story of the roofs flying off, people will forget, Tesla will (hopefully) implement or reinforce their existing QA process, and people will keep buying them as demand increases.
How do you know it is a real Tesla tech and not a fake screenshot?
Old 01-22-22, 10:18 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by heidihidin
How do you know it is a real Tesla tech and not a fake screenshot?
How do we know anything, really?

Because there is a ton of misinformation and disinformation on the internet, it's up to all of us to use our reasoning skills to glean truth from what we read. This Tesla mishap seems probable to me, especially after it was reported on by a second source--a neighbor. Could it also be confirmation bias...we find it believable because of Tesla's lack-of-quality reputation? Possibly, but even if it isn't true, Tesla needs to work on quality control if they want to steal customers away from Toyota/Lexus.
Old 01-23-22, 08:00 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Because there is a ton of misinformation and disinformation on the internet, it's up to all of us to use our reasoning skills to glean truth from what we read.s.
Ain't that the truth. A big problem today is that there are all these blog sites or you tubers that are not real journalists. Anyone can say they are now. Whatever happened to facts and sources....the newspapers still do that (I think)

Old 01-23-22, 10:32 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Ain't that the truth. A big problem today is that there are all these blog sites or you tubers that are not real journalists. Anyone can say they are now. Whatever happened to facts and sources....the newspapers still do that (I think)
Anything Elon sells. Apparantly it's all newsworthy. And yes, so much of what is out there is BS or overblown.
On the other hand, Musk has changed the world; every car company is chasing him and is terrified of him. So there's that...

Ultimately, Tesla cars are #1 in customer satisfaction, warts and all. There's a reason for it.
Old 01-23-22, 01:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Ultimately, Tesla cars are #1 in customer satisfaction, warts and all. There's a reason for it.
Having #1 score for satisfaction, yet landing #27 for reliability is definitely interesting. I doubt the satisfaction is as high as number #1 if the score for reliability is so low. Numbers and data can be very misleading as it all comes down to interpretation
Old 01-25-22, 02:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 425 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Update, as of this morning taking my dog for a walk I see my neighbor finally has her white Tesla back, so basically they had it for a month. When I see her I will see what she has to say.
you are the most reliable source here, other than the owner herself! please let us know what she reports, so we can put this to bed.

i did learn something: it takes a lot of dedication to make money on youtube.
Old 01-25-22, 04:32 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 525 Likes on 358 Posts

Having #1 score for satisfaction, yet landing #27 for reliability is definitely interesting. I doubt the satisfaction is as high as number #1 if the score for reliability is so low. Numbers and data can be very misleading as it all comes down to interpretation
Yep, opposite ends of the spectrum.
I agree 100% with your "interpretation" point. What is reliability? CR puts things like panel gaps and paint scratches upon delivery as reliability. I call that quality control. To me, reliability speaks to the vehicle operating as expected, on a daily basis. Teslas are very reliable, warts and all.
Teslas rarely break down due to their excellent (and relaible) electric drivetrain. Far fewer parts than a traditional ICE vehicle.
Old 01-25-22, 04:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Yep, opposite ends of the spectrum.
I agree 100% with your "interpretation" point. What is reliability? CR puts things like panel gaps and paint scratches upon delivery as reliability. I call that quality control. To me, reliability speaks to the vehicle operating as expected, on a daily basis. Teslas are very reliable, warts and all.
Teslas rarely break down due to their excellent (and relaible) electric drivetrain. Far fewer parts than a traditional ICE vehicle.
This was CRs take on a first model year S. I am sure they problems are all over the place. Drive system and climate system were a 1/5

But satisfaction is very good 👍
Old 01-25-22, 04:44 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

This was CRs take on a first model year S. I am sure they problems are all over the place. Drive system and climate system were a 1/5

But satisfaction is very good 👍
Whats Model 3 reliability. Its probably more indicative as Model S went to that motor in 2019. They went away from their first gen motors around that time. There are many high mileage Model 3s now on the forums and they haven't had any motor issues. There have been motor failures of course but it tends to happen in the first 10k miles.
Old 01-25-22, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Whats Model 3 reliability. Its probably more indicative as Model S went to that motor in 2019. They went away from their first gen motors around that time. There are many high mileage Model 3s now on the forums and they haven't had any motor issues. There have been motor failures of course but it tends to happen in the first 10k miles.
The 3 is definitely better in CR. True test will be to see how the model 3 holds up in year 9 or 10.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-25-22 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I can't totally agree here. Though there are obviously some exceptions (and some real bozos on youtube), often, the blog and Youtube reviews are better and more accurate than the ones given to us by the actual card-carrying journalists. That's because the journalists are not always free to write the truth or what their true opinions are....they have to answer to editors and/or their bosses at the publications.

Quick Reply: Tesla Model 3 (merged megathread)