EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Federal Money for New EV Charging Stations on the way to becoming law.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-21, 08:13 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Most if not all states charge vehicle registration fees and gas taxes to help pay for roads. Since EV's don't use gas, I wonder how long before the registration fees for EV's go up 10x. Maybe after a certain percentage of cars on the road are EVs? But the day is coming.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri...e-tax-program/

There is already a pilot program for testing feasibility of a mileage based tax in the infrastructure bill. The article misconstrues it a little, there's no mandate that a device would need to be installed in the car if such a program was expanded nationally. The miles just need to be tracked in some way. You could argue it's the fairest solution, but I don't think we're there from a data collection perspective.

Originally Posted by TriC
The day is already here in Ohio where there is a $200 surcharge for annual plates for BEVs and PHEVs and $100 for hybrids. This is on top of the standard fee of way less than $100 (fee varies a bit by county).
That is the easiest way out. PA has the highest gas tax at 58.6 cents a gallon, which comes out to $293 for a 30 mpg car going 15k miles. Adding a couple hundred at registration is definitely one way to even it out. Obviously it's a step in the wrong direction in terms of charging for actual use of the road though.
Old 08-12-21, 08:40 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfri...e-tax-program/

There is already a pilot program for testing feasibility of a mileage based tax in the infrastructure bill. The article misconstrues it a little, there's no mandate that a device would need to be installed in the car if such a program was expanded nationally. The miles just need to be tracked in some way. You could argue it's the fairest solution, but I don't think we're there from a data collection perspective.

That is the easiest way out. PA has the highest gas tax at 58.6 cents a gallon, which comes out to $293 for a 30 mpg car going 15k miles. Adding a couple hundred at registration is definitely one way to even it out. Obviously it's a step in the wrong direction in terms of charging for actual use of the road though.
They should factor in the weight of the vehicle as well. More wear and tear. Not sure which is fairer, cost of vehicle, weight, or combination of both.
Old 08-12-21, 01:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Most if not all states charge vehicle registration fees and gas taxes to help pay for roads. Since EV's don't use gas, I wonder how long before the registration fees for EV's go up 10x. Maybe after a certain percentage of cars on the road are EVs? But the day is coming.
Just wait. It will be more expensive to operate and charge a EV in the future compared to gas. Going green is very expensive

They should factor in the weight of the vehicle as well. More wear and tear. Not sure which is fairer, cost of vehicle, weight, or combination of both.
Weight as well as battery disposal should be taking into account.
Old 08-12-21, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

at the same time the WH is BEGGING OPEC to INCREASE oil production.

and the govt spending money (that isn't theirs) wisely? about as wisely as teenagers drink 'free' alcohol.
Old 08-12-21, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
at the same time the WH is BEGGING OPEC to INCREASE oil production.

and the govt spending money (that isn't theirs) wisely? about as wisely as teenagers drink 'free' alcohol.

Never mind alcohol. In my state, they can even toke legally now.

This WH has been more on the side of EVs than oil and gas production. I'm not necessarily doubing your word, but I'd have to see the details of the request to totally believe it.
Old 08-12-21, 05:22 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

If they phase out the credits for higher income earners, then I'm out. That should be proof enough for anybody that the entire "global warming is destroying the world and we have to act right now" dialogue is a complete lie.
Old 08-12-21, 05:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Never mind alcohol. In my state, they can even toke legally now.
Not teenagers
Old 08-12-21, 06:53 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Because the established manufacturers want to build and manufacture cars. They don’t want to build the chargers. Manufacturing cars is what they are good at. (I think) Toyota is on pace for a $37 billion dollar worldwide profit for the year, building out charging stations is not in their best interest
My point is, Tesla built and continues to build their own charging network around the world.
Why should the taxpayers subsidize other car companies?

"building out charging stations is not in their best interest" Without charging stations, how will owners charge their cars out on the road?
Old 08-12-21, 07:09 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Is your post regarding the title of this thread or what?
Old 08-13-21, 03:43 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The most American car company was snubbed at the recent dog and pony show. But yea 'Merica.
Another sign this is about money and not about a real disaster. Telsa is an American company that is in the best position to effect change right now. Unbelievable that they were left out.
Old 08-13-21, 08:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
Is your post regarding the title of this thread or what?
the title is about the govt spending money and my comment was related saying government spending is rarely ever 'responsiible', and i have no doubt this ev 'boondoggle' will give contracts to friends, lobbyists, influencers, and politicians who have interests in the contracts, regardless of whether chargers are needed wherever they're built.
Old 08-13-21, 09:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,837 Likes on 2,397 Posts

Does the gubbermint ever spend money responsibly? No need to answer that.
Old 08-13-21, 10:30 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

GM said they were investing in a an Electric future but not in a charging network. They would leave that to private industry and others. Guess who the others are?

The American payer!
Old 08-13-21, 11:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Deleted...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-13-21 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-13-21, 11:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
My point is, Tesla built and continues to build their own charging network around the world.
I guess that is gonna be Tesla's issue...IMO, Tesla should get out of the charger business that now that there is a plan to have a subsidy to pay for it.

Without charging stations, how will owners charge their cars out on the road?
So many opponents have said it, it is a dream that the majority of drivers will be charging their cars on the go. All of the big legacy manufacturers know this. Despite all the current advocates that it will work, for the overwhelming majority, it simply takes too long to charge an EV on the go. So the vast majority of people will just reject the whole idea of buying an EV. so the manufacturers stay out of it...

Why? Because if you want it to work....there needs to be push to make it work. The natural market in the United States is working at the moment and EV adoption will never take off completely without a taxpayers push....Sadly, the United States is really behind the rest of the world when it comes to this stuff...and if there is no push (like all other countries have done) then the United States will sadly be left far behind the rest of the world.

If I am correct...Tesla received a 1/2 billion taxpayer loan by the government a decade or more ago (was paid back)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-13-21 at 11:18 AM.