EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Federal Money for New EV Charging Stations on the way to becoming law.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 11:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I would agree that the only way we can have widespread EV cars is if there is an EV charging standard just like there is a gasoline refueling standard. Carmakers didn't and haven't built gas stations, expecting every carmaker to build out the charging infrastructure for their cars the way Tesla has isn't practical.
Old 08-14-21, 05:58 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Who paid to build all the gas stations we have today?
Old 08-14-21, 06:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
oil companies, basically. Yes we all know about their large 'subsidies' and tax breaks for exploration and other activities.
Old 08-14-21, 07:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

One thing notable about gas stations, though, is that they used to also be places where you could have routine vehicle service, repairs, inspection, etc.......done. Some of those still exist, but the majority of them seem to have converted to what are essentially gas-marts with small convenience stores, sort of like mini 7-Elevens. Odd, considering that those service bays is where the stations used to make most of their money.....not on gasoline sales.

Perhaps (?) that is because vehicle-warranties are longer today (Buick's recent warranty-cutback excepted)....so more people are having the work done at dealerships. Or, perhaps, it simply costs less to operate a gas/mart than a true service-station, despite the profits from the device-functions....one does not have to hire or pay mechanics/technicians. I'd guess mostly the latter.

Since we're on the subject of EV charging-stations, I suspect that might be the growth of the next new feature......... EV stations/mart, just like with the gas/marts.
Old 08-14-21, 07:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not carmakers lol. Like Bit said they were paid for by oil companies to sell their gasoline.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing notable about gas stations, though, is that they used to also be places where you could have routine vehicle service, repairs, inspection, etc.......done. Some of those still exist, but the majority of them seem to have converted to what are essentially gas-marts with small convenience stores, sort of like mini 7-Elevens. Odd, considering that those service bays is where the stations used to make most of their money.....not on gasoline sales.
Many gas stations still have repair facilities, but this is a function of the marketplace. Cars get more complex, running a repair shop becomes more expensive and specialized it goes past the scope of what a gas station operator can handle successfully and with manageable liability.
Old 08-14-21, 10:03 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 260 Likes on 188 Posts

Then maybe it should be on utility companies to build the charging stations, since they will reap most of the rewards.
Old 08-14-21, 11:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Then maybe it should be on utility companies to build the charging stations, since they will reap most of the rewards.
Once it becomes financially viable to operate charging stations, this will happen.
Old 08-14-21, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Once it becomes financially viable to operate charging stations, this will happen.

WaWa's is apparently able to do it now, at least to some extent......although those customer-service charging stations at its stores are not intended for overnight use or complete charges from empty. They are mostly for customers spending maybe 15 or 20 minutes inside buying lunch.

Oh, and BTW, although somewhat off-topic, they have some excellent build-to-order sandwiches. I particularly like the oven-grilled chicken.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-14-21 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-14-21, 12:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those are Tesla Superchargers paid for by Tesla.
Old 08-14-21, 12:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those are Tesla Superchargers paid for by Tesla.
Tesla has run the Supercharging business as a cost center. Tesla owners get the lowest rate in the industry because they get the electricity at cost and many come with free Supercharging. This will change soon though when they open it up to other OEMs. They elaborated on their earnings call that they plan to roll out many many more stations with this business change and make it a profit center.
Old 08-14-21, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by EZZ
Tesla has run the Supercharging business as a cost center. Tesla owners get the lowest rate in the industry because they get the electricity at cost and many come with free Supercharging. This will change soon though when they open it up to other OEMs. They elaborated on their earnings call that they plan to roll out many many more stations with this business change and make it a profit center.
Oh the profit potential is definitely there.
Old 08-16-21, 06:47 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
WaWa's is apparently able to do it now, at least to some extent......although those customer-service charging stations at its stores are not intended for overnight use or complete charges from empty. They are mostly for customers spending maybe 15 or 20 minutes inside buying lunch.

Oh, and BTW, although somewhat off-topic, they have some excellent build-to-order sandwiches. I particularly like the oven-grilled chicken.
I live in Wawa country and was surprised how much they've expanded the supercharger network into mid-atlantic suburbs lately. These are to serve people with no at home charging, and you're correct it is not intended for overnight use. They're the 250kw so really no reason to be there beyond a half hour, but there's nothing stopping you from coming in almost dead and doing a full charge. It's not the best use of your time since the last 10% especially will be pretty slow, but if you want to grab a sandwich and watch an episode of something on the screen you can.

The use case I see (and I'm sure Wawa is hoping for) is that people supercharge a couple times a week while getting a sandwich and coffee, which plenty of people already do. No real need to wait around while the car charges if you'll be there a few times a week anyway, just go when your food is ready. I always have a soft spot for the gobbler, and fall is almost upon us.

Last edited by sg021; 08-16-21 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 07:19 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Yeah, they just opened up a supercharger with 8 bays at the Wawa in my town and it's nice. They also have a sign stating 15 minutes of general parking is allowed for non Tesla owners, but everyone has been pretty good about avoiding the bays if they don't need them.
Old 08-16-21, 07:24 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
I live in Wawa country and was surprised how much they've expanded the supercharger network into mid-atlantic suburbs lately. These are to serve people with no at home charging, and you're correct it is not intended for overnight use. They're the 250kw so really no reason to be there beyond a half hour, but there's nothing stopping you from coming in almost dead and doing a full charge. It's not the best use of your time since the last 10% especially will be pretty slow, but if you want to grab a sandwich and watch an episode of something on the screen you can.

The use case I see (and I'm sure Wawa is hoping for) is that people supercharge a couple times a week while getting a sandwich and coffee, which plenty of people already do. No real need to wait around while the car charges if you'll be there a few times a week anyway, just go when your food is ready. I always have a soft spot for the gobbler, and fall is almost upon us.
Wow. I haven't seen any Wawas with super charges in the Philly area, including the one around the corner from me that opened in 2020.
Old 08-16-21, 08:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Wow. I haven't seen any Wawas with super charges in the Philly area, including the one around the corner from me that opened in 2020.
Before I retired I travelled to Philly regularly and most of the time my time was spent on the Main Line out towards Malvern, Paoli etc. As I recall, those seem like areas where Wawa Superchargers would do well. Unless there are regulations that discourage them?