EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Federal Money for New EV Charging Stations on the way to becoming law.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 08:38 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Before I retired I travelled to Philly regularly and most of the time my time was spent on the Main Line out towards Malvern, Paoli etc. As I recall, those seem like areas where Wawa Superchargers would do well. Unless there are regulations that discourage them?
I would think the Wawas closest to highways are the best candidates for SuperChargers. Most Main Liners with Teslas can probably charge at their homes. But not having an EV, it's hard to really know what works best.
Old 08-16-21, 08:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
I would think the Wawas closest to highways are the best candidates for SuperChargers. Most Main Liners with Teslas can probably charge at their homes. But not having an EV, it's hard to really know what works best.
Actually, there is already a pattern to Supercharger locations. The ones that are 250kw are near the highway for traveling. Most of the urban chargers are between 72-150kw. The new ones that are being put in are now 250kw everywhere as they are trying to future proof new installations. There was a poll on the Tesla forums on charging behavior and 90%+ charged at home...seems very few buyers are purchasing EVs without a dedicated space for charging at home.
Old 08-16-21, 10:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Good point. I'm not an EV driver either and need to keep reminding myself of home charging. There are Tesla's everywhere around my small city but the nearest supercharger is 12 miles away. No doubt the big majority of those drivers charge at home. My next door neighbor has a nice Model S and his home charger was installed the day after he picked it up.
Old 08-16-21, 10:06 AM
sg021
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow. I haven't seen any Wawas with super charges in the Philly area, including the one around the corner from me that opened in 2020.
As a percentage of Wawas it's still a very small number, but it's a start.

Before I retired I travelled to Philly regularly and most of the time my time was spent on the Main Line out towards Malvern, Paoli etc. As I recall, those seem like areas where Wawa Superchargers would do well. Unless there are regulations that discourage them?
There's one just outside Doylestown, I think that's the kind of place they're targeting outside of commuter corridors. Suburban locations with with money, but fewer garages. I'm sure over time they will continue to infill places like that, including Main Line. Still a long way to go.
Old 08-16-21, 10:43 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sg021
There's one just outside Doylestown, I think that's the kind of place they're targeting outside of commuter corridors. Suburban locations with with money, but fewer garages. I'm sure over time they will continue to infill places like that, including Main Line. Still a long way to go.
Yes - I see it. It's right off of the 202 Bypass, so it makes sense.
Old 08-16-21, 01:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

all this talk of 202, paoli, main line, etc. takes me back to when i lived in chester co. just west of there (exton, malvern, glenmoore).
Old 08-16-21, 02:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

The new Wawa at the bottom of Platt bridge coming from PHL airport heading into Central Philly has about 15 of them. Also the Target near me in the Art Museum area has a good amount of them too.

They all seem to be great locations for owners or travellers to the area.
Old 08-16-21, 03:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
all this talk of 202, paoli, main line, etc. takes me back to when i lived in chester co. just west of there (exton, malvern, glenmoore).
This talk about the Philly area is making me nostalgic for my working days - There, I'm over it now, back to retirement.
Old 08-16-21, 08:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

This talk about the Philly area is making me nostalgic for my working days - There, I'm over it now, back to retirement.
haha, good for you! working stiffs like me are a little jealous.