EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Another Tesla crash and fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 01:36 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

What differentiates a "Tesla fire" from an "EV fire"? Does putting out a battery fire on a Hyundai Ioniq take the same (or similar) amount of resources as a Model 3?

Assuming that it does, these fires should not be referred to as Tesla fires, they should be referred to as EV fires. They only report on Tesla fires because of Tesla's popularity. I think we also hear more about Tesla fires vs. EV fires because there are way more Tesla EVs out there than Hyundai/Nissan/Chevy EVs. My point being that Tesla shouldn't be the only entity condemned for excessive water consumption, it should be current EV battery tech in general. Again, this assumes that it takes the same amount of effort/resources to put out a battery fire in a Model 3, an Ioniq, a Bolt, or a Leaf. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-13-21, 01:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I think what you find is fire departments need to train and have specialized equipment to deal with EV fires. EV is different technology and obviously will have different challenges when dealing with emergency situations.

For instance, emergency responders don't approach a fire at an office building the same way they do a nuclear power plant...
Old 08-13-21, 04:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

In my south bay area, we had a famous Tesla fire resulting from a driver asleep at the wheel, in auto-pilot. After he hit a gore point and died, his Tesla burst into flames. The fire dept put it out and the Tesla was towed to facility where vehicles involved in fatalities are examined. At this resting place, it spontaneously caught on fire again!

When we are harnessing energy to propel cars, ICE's or EV's, we are playing with fire! Many died in ICE fires over the years before engineers developed ways to make them safer. I expect the same will be true for EV's--they'll get safer over time.
Old 08-13-21, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Regular car fires are easy to put out, did you read the part where it takes 40 times more water to put out a Tesla fire? I'm posting this because I am concerned over the damage Tesla fires inflict on the environment.
I'm not a firefighter, but, from what I understand, water should not be used on electric fires because it conducts electricity very easily, and could shock or electrocute the firefighters themselves. That's what fire-suppressant-foam is for.
Old 08-13-21, 06:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not a firefighter, but, from what I understand, water should not be used on electric fires because it conducts electricity very easily, and could shock or electrocute the firefighters themselves. That's what fire-suppressant-foam is for.
These lithium batteries release a lot of toxic smoke into the air, and when the fire is put all the released chemicals get washed away into storm drains and end up in reservoirs, poisoning fish and wildlife. Fire fighter might end up having to use special types of chemicals to put out these Tesla fires, and they too will end up in reservoirs. This is a major concern with growing number of EVs and rampant EV combustion.
Old 08-13-21, 07:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Both ICE and EV fires produce toxic by products from the combustion of the materials. The batteries if burning pose a high level of toxicity for those in close proximity. One venting 18650 in an enclosed room can send you to the ER with respiratory issues. Imagine the fumes from the many 18650's, 2170's in an EV. Those fumes produce neurotoxins that effect the CNS in the short and long term. Plenty of interesting reading about lithium type battery fires.

Tesla is on the hit list but any EV battery fire poses severe risk for bystanders.
Old 08-13-21, 07:31 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
been driving my Model 3 Dual Motor for almost 3 years now, racked up 22k trouble free miles. the thing is just so damn reliable, i've paid nothing for maintenance so far, zero cents. they sent out mobile service to my home for the annual check up and that was free too. oh yeah, and it is as fast as the new Supra 0-60 with the speed boost i purchased i'm not an ICE hater like some of Tesla drivers, but Tesla has been rock solid for me.
Is 22k trouble free miles something to brag about?

Teslas aren't known to be the most reliable cars out there, particularly in the drivetrain (the inverter's power transistors) department... still not sure why this is still the case in 2021 (reported model 3 failures) when Toyota solved their issues back in the ls600h days. Batteries-wise, though, they're so far ahead of the rest it's not even remotely funny.

As for the fire - every drivetrain has its peculiarities.
Old 08-13-21, 07:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40
Both ICE and EV fires produce toxic by products from the combustion of the materials. The batteries if burning pose a high level of toxicity for those in close proximity. One venting 18650 in an enclosed room can send you to the ER with respiratory issues. Imagine the fumes from the many 18650's, 2170's in an EV. Those fumes produce neurotoxins that effect the CNS in the short and long term. Plenty of interesting reading about lithium type battery fires.

Tesla is on the hit list but any EV battery fire poses severe risk for bystanders.
Toxicity of burning petrol is greatly exaggerated, you can start your charcoals with it, burning lithium batteries are far more toxic.
Old 08-13-21, 07:46 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Toxicity of burning petrol is greatly exaggerated, you can start your charcoals with it, burning lithium batteries are far more toxic.
Less than 0.1% of EVs will burn to the ground. 100% of IcEs will use thousands of gallons of gas in its lifetime. It's a completely stupid argument.
Old 08-13-21, 07:59 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ
Less than 0.1% of EVs will burn to the ground. 100% of IcEs will use thousands of gallons of gas in its lifetime. It's a completely stupid argument.
And pretty much the same amount of fossil fuels will burn to charge these EVs, so in fact your argument is irrelevant. Toxic Tesla battery fires on the other hand are rampant and very concerning matter. Hopefully the government and EPA start looking into it.
Old 08-13-21, 08:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
And pretty much the same amount of fossil fuels will burn to charge these EVs, so in fact your argument is irrelevant. Toxic Tesla battery fires on the other hand are rampant and very concerning matter. Hopefully the government and EPA start looking into it.
Complete bull****. It's been proven over and over again that even if you use 100% coal, it's still cleaner overall than burning gas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikesco...mes-from-coal/

The US only uses about 1/3rd coal. The other sources are vastly cleaner. Easily searchable on google.
Old 08-13-21, 08:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Complete bull****. It's been proven over and over again that even if you use 100% coal, it's still cleaner overall than burning gas.

The US only uses about 1/3rd coal. The other sources are vastly cleaner. Easily searchable on google.
Why bother, just agree with whatever Och says and move on. It's no use bringing up facts.
Old 08-13-21, 08:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EZZ

Never mind selective studies, energy is energy, and while electric engines are more energy efficient vs ICE, the power plants generating electricity are often not very efficient, plus there are transmission losses, so in the end it's a wash.

But let's not divert from the widespread Tesla fires. Clearly their battery packs are shoddily made with not enough protection mechanisms.
Old 08-13-21, 08:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Never mind selective studies, energy is energy, and while electric engines are more energy efficient vs ICE, the power plants generating electricity are often not very efficient, plus there are transmission losses, so in the end it's a wash.

But let's not divert from the widespread Tesla fires. Clearly their battery packs are shoddily made with not enough protection mechanisms.
Lol. Sure...especially when the car is used as a ballistic object to hit things

Also, power plants are moving away from coal so they are burning cleaner sources vs nasty petrol.
Old 08-13-21, 08:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Regular car fires are easy to put out, did you read the part where it takes 40 times more water to put out a Tesla fire? I'm posting this because I am concerned over the damage Tesla fires inflict on the environment.
because when a gasoline powered vehicle catches fire they don't release any toxic fumes into the environment?? LMAO

Quick Reply: Another Tesla crash and fire