EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla AI Day and Dojo chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-21, 08:12 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
The article said what we already know but I’m honestly curious of the hardware whether they really have working one. Lab hardware are always huge and bulky but if they plan to put one inside Tesla robot it should be really compact like the images they show. Maybe we are still yrs off 10-15 yrs but the purpose of just training AI with Dojo they can get away with bulky system.

Yes, they designed this in-house which is really impressive but somebody will actually have to make it. I don’t think Tesla can manufacture it. InfoSoW is still a concept from TSMC. New M1 processor from Apple does something like this with RAM die next to their processor die but not at this level. Dojo even has power regulators mounted directly to die. You know it took chip industry a few yrs just to put capacitors directly inside chip packages.

https://semianalysis.com/tesla-ai-da...tsmc-info_sow/
The robots won't use the same D1 chip whose main purpose is to build the Supercomputer. I'm sure it'll have some evolution of their FSD computer. At 7nm, TSMC and Samsung are the ones that come to mind in terms of a fab. They had a built tile on stage and as you can see, the lab is already testing the tile. Digestible info in the link I provided below. Are you an EE?

https://electrek.co/2021/08/20/tesla...ining-machine/
Old 08-22-21, 08:43 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The robots won't use the same D1 chip whose main purpose is to build the Supercomputer. I'm sure it'll have some evolution of their FSD computer. At 7nm, TSMC and Samsung are the ones that come to mind in terms of a fab. They had a built tile on stage and as you can see, the lab is already testing the tile. Digestible info in the link I provided below. Are you an EE?

https://electrek.co/2021/08/20/tesla...ining-machine/
I haven’t seen the image with the guy holding the hardware. No, I’m not EE but I work in chip industry deal with high speed connectors. It’s not just about 7nm but how does such a small node connect to high speed connectors is mind boggling. You can’t just directly attach connector pins to die, one is so big the other so small, traditionally pcb and substrate are the carrier. Anyway this was interesting to learn.